Best janome machine to take to quilting class

prc

The 12000 is more than a bit heavy to be hauling around to classes/get togethers.  Looking for recommendation on a  machine for that purpose that has very good stitch quality and sewing capabilities, 9 mm???

Paul

blue_lak <no_reply@...>

I have the new Skyline 7. It's 9 mm, has the Flex Accufeed, has most of the sewing features and programs of the 12000 sewing mode, including a resume function and saving favorite stitch settings. Best of all is that all the attachments are interchangeable with the 12000, except for the bobbin case. It doesn't have a low bobbin sensor. The machine weighs 24 lbs versus 30 lbs for the 12000 (without embroidery unit). It's as if Janome stripped out all the embroidery functions and repackaged the rest into a slightly smaller body (19" versus 22.6").

By comparison, the 4120 QDC weighs only 14 lbs, is 15" wide, but is 7 mm, doesn't have any "save" memory, and has a smaller bed space than the Skyline. I had the 4120 for nearly a year and took it to two retreats and a couple of classes. It sewed beautiful stitches, was easy to transport, and was overall a very good machine. The problem was me. I felt cramped by the bed space and got frustrated with having to reset "my" stitch settings every time I turned the machine on. My dealer gave me full price trade-in toward the Skyline, and I haven't had one regret for the additional cost because I'm much more productive and it's an easy mental adjustment going from one machine to the other.

The Skyline's more solid weight and larger bed space than the 4120 QDC have made me realize just how spoiled I've become with my 12000. You need to decide what features you "must" have or really need and then go and do some test driving at your dealer's store.

Jan Steiner

Judy Jackson <judy.j282@...>

Hi Paul, I too had this dilemma earlier this year. I have the 15000 but was it was just far too heavy for me to take to a quilting class. At the time the Atelier (Skyline in the US)5 came out so this is what I bought. I loved the machine but it lacked certain features such a automatic foot up/down and 9mm feet. Then in October Janome brought out the Atelier (Skyline)7 so after only a few months of using the 5 I traded up to the 7. I have never regretted this, even though I lost money on the trade up deal, the 7 is a far superior machine and is more like the 12000/15000 without the embroidery of course. I love it nearly as much as my 15000
Judy, Cornwall UK

Sent from my iPad

On 2 Dec 2015, at 01:30, paul.cushing@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

The 12000 is more than a bit heavy to be hauling around to classes/get togethers.  Looking for recommendation on a  machine for that purpose that has very good stitch quality and sewing capabilities, 9 mm???

Paul

Jane Dunne

Hi all, two posts in less than a week lol! I usually just read everything and don 't post but I have the Skyline S5 and take it to quilting class every week! I love it! I even quilt my quilts on it!
It is a great machine!

Try it you will like il!

Hugs,
Jane

Sent from my iPad

Sharff <sharff@...>

Hi Paul,

I have the 12000, love it but don't want to schlep it to class or to my sewing group. I had a 9700 for that but once it died I replaced it with the 9900. I love it. It has the embroidery component separate so the machine itself is not as heavy. Go to the Janome website and compare features of the different machines to see which one best suits your needs.

Have fun sewing,
Linda in Houston

Norma Carson <norma7750@...>

Hi all,
Haven't heard anyone mention the 9900, I love this machine, it's the 15000 in miniature (lacking the auto foot up/down) has 9mm and  embroiders! this is my take to classes machine....

Norma,
Lodi, CA

On Dec 2, 2015, at 4:46 AM, Jane Dunne mikeandjane@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

Hi all, two posts in less than a week lol! I usually just read everything and don 't post but I have the Skyline S5 and take it to quilting class every week! I love it! I even quilt my quilts on it!
It is a great machine!

Try it you will like il!

Hugs,
Jane

Sent from my iPad

bluebellwrangler@...

I also traded a Skyline S5 for a Skyline S7 and am completely happy with it.  My feet for the MC15000 will fit, and the stitch quality leaves nothing to be desired.  I have taken it to one class, and have another coming up.  My sewing space is upstairs, and there are stairs from the outside door to the ground and was always afraid my 15000 would tumble down at some point.

Cheryl Paul

If you want embroidery as well as sewing the Janome 9900 or Elna 860 are wonderful machines. They both have a separate embroidery attachment like the 12000/15000 but smaller. Check it out here:

http://www.janome.com/en/machines/embroidery/mc9900/

It doesn’t have the large embroidery field but most of the time we don’t need that much. I have the Elna 860 as that was what the dealer recommended to me at the time I traded/sold my 12000 for a smaller machine to take out to classes, for the same reason you are looking for a different machine. However, if “sewing” is all you need then I highly recommend the Skyline S7 as it has the 9 mm stitches and is a full size sewing machine at a reasonable price. We like the features that spoil us - like the auto foot lift when we quit sewing my Elna doesn’t have that and she will be traded as soon as they make another that does.

Cheryl - Saskatoon