Quarter inch foot

Colleen

I intend to join little squares using the above and I would like to know how to move the needle to the right as it us quite a big quarter inch. I have tried all sorts but there seems to be a secret agenda. All help will be much appreciated. Colleen B

Sent from my iPad

Virginia

If you have the 12,000 or the 15,000 go to the icon on the machine that has the little shirt which is your applications.  the look at your options and select piecing.  that should give you a perfect 1/4 inch with a 1.80 stitch length which is perfect for piecing.

virginia

-----Original Message-----
To: janome12000
Sent: Thu, Nov 12, 2015 6:54 pm
Subject: [janome12000] Quarter inch foot

I intend to join little squares using the above and I would like to know how to move the needle to the right as it us quite a big quarter inch. I have tried all sorts but there seems to be a secret agenda. All help will be much appreciated. Colleen B

Sent from my iPad

Pixey

Colleen,
Do you have the straight stitch plate on, or the zigzag plate? I don't think the first will let you move the needle to the right for a scant 1/4".

Pixey

Sent: Thu, Nov 12, 2015 11:44:53 PM

Sent from my iPad

Deb Keldrauk

Here is what I have done on my 15000. I prefer this for a quarter inch setting. First, I use the zig zag plate so I can move the needle freely. I didn't like using the programmed icon, in the little shirt>piecing option, mostly because it always nagged me about chain piecing and did I want the next line of stitching to be the same AARRGGH. 

I choose stitch number 4, it is for installing a zipper, it is a simple straight stitch and the needle position is set to the far left, I don't do many zippers so probably won't use that one much.

I turned on Favorite Stitch memory in the settings first then I took that stitch #4 and set it manually exactly where I wanted my 1/4" seam allowance to be, I place the needle and measured and tested until I got it exactly correct for me. I also adjusted the stitch length to what I like for my piecing and saved it all as my favorite stitch. Now when I piece I just turn on my machine and hit stitch #4 put my 1/4" foot on and I am set. (If I need the zipper setting I'd just have to press the DFT square and it will move back to where it belongs for that sewing session or until I go back and press FAV1 again).

I also don't use the O foot. I purchased a 1/4" clear piecing foot. It does have a flange but that can be removed with a screw. I'd rather eye it only, no flange because I tend to push my fabric up against that thing as I'm running and it can get off. My accuracy is better just watching the fabric run on the edge of that clear foot.

I hope this info can help you Colleen

Best,
newfilter - Deb in CA

Anne Parker

Hi Colleen

Are you just selecting the straight stitch from the Utility menu or have you tried the Piecing application? This uses stitches Q1  to Q3 and allows you to use them with the straight stitch plate which has an oval hole on the right to allow movement of the needle.  I think it will be Q2 you want.   Take a look at page 60 of the manual
​.

Anne
www.sewingtales.wordpress.com

https://www.flickr.com/photos/94302460@N03/sets/

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance". Anon

Donna Morton

Here is my favourite way to achieve a scant 1/4 inch on my 15000.

Make sure you have Favourite Stitch in the SET menu turned on.

Use the straight stitch plate. Touch Home and then pick the Quilting menu in the upper right.  Select stitch 2.  It is a rather “wide” 1/4 inch for most.  Adjust by moving the needle to the right to 8.6 or 8.7.  You can do that if are using the straight stitch plate.

Now you are going to make this change into a Favourite Stitch that will come up every time you go to this menu.  See page 38 – 39 in the Version 1 Manual (might be a page or 2 different in the Version 2 Manual for saving the changed setting to Favourite stitches.

Donna M
Canada
http://www.snipandstitch.com

cas@...

I don’t know if it’s been answered, I’ve been out of town.  You can use your “patchwork” app on your menu, then change the width setting to 9, as high as it will go, which moves your needle to the right to 1/4” but not scant 1/4” (your mileage may vary). This works even with straight stitch plate on, which is great for piecing. 
Cas

Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2015 3:44 PM

Sent from my iPad

cas@...

That question about whether the seam is the same is annoying, so I don’t look at it.  Someone gave me a tip that it can be nice if you DO want your seams the exact length like when you are doing inset pieces.  Like a “Y” seam in quilt piecing.
Cas

Sent: Friday, November 13, 2015 6:50 AM
Subject: [janome12000] Re: Quarter inch foot

Here is what I have done on my 15000. I prefer this for a quarter inch setting. First, I use the zig zag plate so I can move the needle freely. I didn't like using the programmed icon, in the little shirt>piecing option, mostly because it always nagged me about chain piecing and did I want the next line of stitching to be the same AARRGGH. 

I choose stitch number 4, it is for installing a zipper, it is a simple straight stitch and the needle position is set to the far left, I don't do many zippers so probably won't use that one much.

I turned on Favorite Stitch memory in the settings first then I took that stitch #4 and set it manually exactly where I wanted my 1/4" seam allowance to be, I place the needle and measured and tested until I got it exactly correct for me. I also adjusted the stitch length to what I like for my piecing and saved it all as my favorite stitch. Now when I piece I just turn on my machine and hit stitch #4 put my 1/4" foot on and I am set. (If I need the zipper setting I'd just have to press the DFT square and it will move back to where it belongs for that sewing session or until I go back and press FAV1 again).

I also don't use the O foot. I purchased a 1/4" clear piecing foot. It does have a flange but that can be removed with a screw. I'd rather eye it only, no flange because I tend to push my fabric up against that thing as I'm running and it can get off. My accuracy is better just watching the fabric run on the edge of that clear foot.

I hope this info can help you Colleen

Best,
newfilter - Deb in CA

Anne Parker

Thanks for the idea for using Utility stitch 4.  Hadn't thought of that one!

However I'm wondering that if you just page through the stitches, or choose the Decorative Stitches icon then Quilting to get to the Quilt stitches and choose no 2 under quilt stitches, rather than going via the T Shirt button and choosing the Piecing application, whether that prompt re the seam length would still come up?

Not near my machine at the moment, but will have to check it out tomorrow! :0)

Anne
www.sewingtales.wordpress.com

https://www.flickr.com/photos/94302460@N03/sets/

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance". Anon