App News

Jim Stutsman

Most members are probably not aware that Apple released the 4th generation Apple TV recently. It was of big interest to me because this version supports apps. I am happy to say that our My 15000 app is now available on Apple TV 4. OK, cue the yawning and cricket sounds! However if you've taken the plunge and cut the cable with Apple TV 4 AND you have the My 15000 app you can install the Apple TV version of the app at no cost from the TV App Store. It knows if you own the app and lets you install it for free. If you don't have an iPhone or iPad, but you do have Apple TV 4, you can get the app in the TV app store. The entry price for Apple TV is $149, well below even the least expensive iPad. I realize that for the majority of you this announcement is of little interest, but for one or two of you it may be helpful.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled list.

Anne Parker

Jim

I am really interested in this.  We binned our cable package at the end of last year because it was way over priced for what we watched.  We bought a Roku streaming stick which we use to watch Netflix, Now TV, Sky sports etc.

I have been thinking of buying a second streaming stick for our other main TV, and have been looking around to see if another type would give us anything more - I never even thought of Apple TV.  It just didn't cross my mind!

Anyway I've just had a quick look and it seems in UK I can get it for £59 - we don't yet seem to have the same amount of content as you do in the US but with the apps it would give us a different experience to the Roku.

Is there somewhere where I could find a list of apps available - I've done some searching but not having any joy finding just a list of those available.  Will the Janome apps be available on it - not sure they would work with that set up though as I don't now the technicalities - yet!

What I did come across was a comment that I needed a subscription to iTunes?  No real idea what that is as I don't own anything Apple, though vaguely seem to remember you can use that on a PC?

Thanks for any further info you can advise.

Anne
www.sewingtales.wordpress.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance". Anon

Taking a break from trying to find "Midsomer" in Google Maps, Jim says:
The previous generation of Apple TV was good, but this one is, as my friend in Oz would say, MAGIC. We also own a Roku 3, which is used solely for the Acorn service that provides shows from UK. We will be dumping the Roku when the Acorn subscription expires, as the Hulu app now provides more UK shows and the BBC iPlayer app is supposed to be coming in 2016. We've grown weary of the US network shows, which consist mainly of shootouts and car chases. British TV is so much better. We've burned through all 17 seasons of Midsomer Murders and we're finishing up season 7 of Doc Martin. Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock is stunningly good, and I can't wait for the next series. I think "The IT Crowd" may just be the funniest television show ever made, at least from the geek perspective. (Have you tried turning it off and turning it on again?) But I digress - love my British TV!

You can get some basic specs on Apple TV content here: http://www.apple.com/uk/tv/entertainment/
Most of the services you mention seem to be there and you do not need any kind of iTunes subscription to use it. The only thing that involves subscription is premium services, such as HBO Now, which bills on a monthly basis, or season passes to shows. We added a couple of those when we cut the cable for shows that we like. There are no commercials in paid content, and even those channels that are free seem to have fewer commercials than the cable. Here in the US a 60 minute program runs just over 42 minutes without commercials, and they seem to load the bulk of the advertising in the final third of the program to keep you from changing channels. That makes it totally worth signing up for the ad-free version of the Hulu service, though I don't think it's available in UK.

You can try the Apple TV risk free, returning it in 15 days if you don't like it. Highly recommended!

Andrea LaVergne

Thank you Jim. I count on you for these news releases, this is a reason to update to Apple TV4 for my sewing room!
Andrea

ceilsews <no_reply@...>

Jim,
You'll probably get a reply from everyone on this so here's my list: (in no particular order)
Call the Midwife
Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries
The Bletchley Circle
The Paradise
Poirot (my favorite)

Pru Joy

Super interesting, so glad to hear about this Apple TV.  I just checked it all out & had a chat with an apple assistant.  Apparently it can turn our 7 year old Panasonic hd tv into a "smart tv" & for only $259 Aussie dollars, I'm sold!  So tired of paying for tv with ads in it (Foxtel)!  But I think we'll wait til the two new broadband satellites are operational early next year.

🌹🌻🌺🍄🌼🌞🌙🌏❄⚡☁🍃🌷🌸💐🐎🐅🐬🐟🐄🐏🐝🐛🐌🐥🐢🐍🐜🌲

Anne Parker

Thanks for the info Jim - looks like I may be buying my husband the Apple TV4 for Christmas ( I won't mention the apps available for my Janome!)  He loves his films so the more choices the better.

We love our British TV over the US (maybe we are biased being British (well I'm Welsh first then British)) though my husband loves Sons of Anrachy and has watched the whole 7 series twice so far - then the lead is British! :0)  I think there have only been 2 series of Sherlock so far - do hope there are more.  We watch all the old Sherlock stuff as well, even with Basil Rathbone in them and some in 'black and white'!

Like you we love Midsomer Murders (watching replays all the time) and also Poirot. We're just getting into Doc Martin as we missed it first time around - and as I missed the first series of Downton Abbey I haven't watched any others - just waiting for the whole thing to finish so I can get it as a boxed set of everything.  I'm actually interested in the costumes to see what I can reproduce on the Janome or at least get ideas for designs.

Anne
www.sewingtales.wordpress.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance". Anon

Cat - N

Jim, Thank you for the info. Apple TV sounds very interesting and I will be checking into it. I agree:
"The IT Crowd" may just be the funniest television show ever made, at least from the geek perspective. (Have you tried turning it off and turning it on again?)
Since you like "The IT Crowd," do you go to theregister.co.uk and read especially the BOFH articles?  I am an IT Tech, and it's my favorite IT news site...and, of course, I love British TV, too, Oh, and there is ToastyTech.com...the graphic user interface page, especially...is also a favorite.

Thank you again for the info.

- Cat

[...]

Teressa Sisemore

Thanks Jim!