Hooping Tip Video

ceilsews <no_reply@...>

Check out this great tip for those who hoop material rather than float: Embroidery

JoAnn Novak

  Thank you for sharing this video.  I most certainly will give this a try.
  JoAnn

Check out this great tip for those who hoop material rather than float: Embroidery

helencreamore@...

Nice tip for working with thin fabrics.

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 4, 2015, at 8:20 PM, ceilsews <no_reply@...> wrote:

Check out this great tip for those who hoop material rather than float: Embroidery

Anne Parker

Thank you for posting this Ceil

I would have liked to see her do it with a really large hoop.  She says it's easy for them too, but I find the large hoops are a problem for me when hooping fabric which is why I am thinking more of just hooping a permanent stabliser and using that to secure the fabric too - maybe tacking it into the hoop using the sewing function so I can keep control and tension on easily.

I have very small hands - I can wear childrens gloves (and shoes and clothes for that matter!) - and find that my hands are just not big enough to easily maintain the tension around the large hoops.

Anyone else got any suggestions?

Anne
www.sewingtales.wordpress.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance". Anon

ceilsews <no_reply@...>

Anne,
You're welcome.  I always found this interesting but too fussy for me.  It may give you some ideas.
Sharon Schamber: Hoop-Dee-Doo

Anne Parker

Ceil

Thanks for the link, but that is way overboard and really the sort of thing I plan to try just with hooping a permanent stablizer as a frame for basting to the hoop.

Does anyone use the system shown in the link?  I don't like the idea of sticking or gluing things permanently and I don't like the idea of using glue on fabric.

The idea seems to waste fabric, use glue, an iron and her specific backing fabric - all increasing the cost of an already expensive hobby.  She also contradicts herself at several points in the video.

One idea that did occur to me while watching though was to use a couple of hand clamps (which we have in the garage anyway!) to assist with holding either end of the hoop! Will have to give that a try! :0)

Anne
www.sewingtales.wordpress.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance". Anon

Lucy Akers

When hooping just stabilizer, I use strips cut from shelf liner - that rubbery stuff that keeps things from slipping that you can find by the roll at the dollar store.
Just place the strip between the stabilizer and the TOP hoop. It keeps it tight. Probably would work as well for very thin fabrics.

juliadlf1 <no_reply@...>

Got to the Files section of this group and scroll down to almost the end. There is a pdf file for Hooping Assistant.

favymtz

Yes, the shelf liner works great, the gal in the video was attempting to accomplish the same thing without dealing with strips. I works also to make the same kind of frame she did but using the shelf liner. Even paper towels work!

JoAnn Novak

  I am very interested in your way of hooping.
  Do you have photos to show how you accomplish this.
  JoAnn