AcuDesign 2.0

Jim Stutsman

Recently Janome released version 2.0 of the AcuDesign app for iPad. This version adds a lot of nice designs from Janome, some free and some moderately priced. It also adds the option for lettering in a $50 module which you can purchase in the app. The lettering is really nice with a number of fonts.

In preparation for a class, which she gave yesterday in Odessa, Texas, Diane made a video of a complete tutorial for version 2.0 from start to finish. We have added that video to the My 15000 and My 12000 apps. However if you have updated your device to iOS 9 the new video will not appear automatically in the app. To fix that we have released updates to all our apps for iOS 9. FootBook and My 15000 have been reviewed and are available now as a free update. My 12000 is still waiting for review by Apple.

The AcuDesign tutorial is video 9 in the AcuDesign series. It's very comprehensive and gets you through a complete project from start to finish.

susies.stitches@...

I apologize for not knowing where this message will land.  It's intended to go to the group as a whole, but thetre's no recipient in the reply box!  I started reading the Yahoo group mail at g-mail, but my replies seem to use that address instead of Yahoo, and I'm not sure they always get there.

I'm coming into this conversation totally ignorant.  I have the 12,000 and have not been doing much sewing lately, so haven't been following the posts much.  The discussion about Acudesign caught my interest, and I tried to get some basic information online wso I wouldn't have to ask all of you what it was or how it works!  Will it work in any capacity  on the 12,000?  If not, I guess I don't need any more answers.  I have an IPad, which I've never used for embroidery.  I have been using Wilcom in a very primitive way because I impulsively purchased it a while ago through an online demo.  It seems to have a reputation for being the gold standard for digitizing, but it's way, way too complicated and powerful for my needs.  I don't digitize, and don't seem to be able to do the edits I occasionally like to do.  I know it's not the woftware, becaue when I sent some lettering in to have evaluated, someone fixed it for me.  I would love to find something that is user friendly and not too expensive.  Would that be Acudesign?  I've already tried Designers Gallery (all the components), but ended up including it with the sale of my BabyLock.  I don't need anything elaborate; just the ability to open designs, possibly do some simple editing, and maybe resize them.  If Acudesign isn't compatible with the 12,000 can someone tell me what might be better?  I just hate to invest in software I can't understand.  I'd be better off limping along with what I have!  Too bad there aren't some hands on workshops to try different software and see what fits best!  Thanks for any comments.  Sue

Jim's admittedly biased reply:
AcuDesign will do exactly what you want, and version 2.0 (current) has other features you would probably find useful. The cost for the app is $50. If you want to add the lettering module (recommended) it's another $50. Our "My 12000" app provides video instruction on AcuDesign for another $60. While we have included the AcuDesign 2.0 video in our app, it won't be available until Apple has reviewed and approved it. That could be any day now.

AcuDesign 2 is a powerful editing program that does a lot more than you would expect from an iPad app. However it comes with no instructions other than a very basic "Help" system that just identifies basic buttons and controls. Diane's version 2 tutorial explains how to use all of the features as she goes through creation of a new design from 3 separate free designs. She also identifies a serious bug that can cause the app to completely lock up.

The truth of AcuDesign is that it appears to be designed to work with all the Janome embroidery machines, although they don't include all models or even all the hoops with some of the models they do support. For all machines other than the 15000 you will need some type of external device in order to get the designs on a USB drive for stitching. We identify those devices in the video, as well as how to use them. Depending on which one you choose, it could add another $100 to the total price, bringing it to a maximum of $260. That's probably much less than you spent on Wilcom.

Meryl Margolies

AcuDesign has been in my "wishlist" for a long time. Am I to understand that it is now ready for 12000 owners? Just how good is the lettering add on?

Having survived a long time, Jim says:
AcuDesign has always been ready for the 12000. In fact it is even usable for non-Janome machines. It supports all of the popular formats and the hoop selection includes options for Janome, Necchi, Bernina, Pfaff, "Generic", Cutters, Brother and Elna. Selections for Janome include the 12000 (but not hoop RE18), the 15000 (all hoops), MB4 (but not M1), 11000 (AcuFil square only), 200E, 300E (B hoop only), 350E and 9500/9700 (B hoop only). It's kind of odd why some models have some hoops left out, but the 350E includes all the hoops you need for any machine based on 10000 architecture, and the RE18 is included in the 15000, which would work for the 12000. Except for the 15000, every other machine would require an external device to send designs to. Because AcuDesign applies to the 12000 as well as the 15000, we included the videos for it in our My 12000 app. The video for AcuDesign 2.0 is not yet in that app, but will appear automatically once the app has been approved by Apple. That could be any day now.

The lettering module is really good. There are 20 fonts, with placement tools that make it really easy to get letters exactly where you want them. Arcing is also super easy, and you can fit letters to a curve just by dragging one point.

Diane was in West Texas last week doing classes for a very good friend at Betty's Bobbin Box in Odessa. She got a sneak peek at a new iPad app from Janome that will make design placement a snap. To me this confirms that Janome is continuing to invest in the iPad technology. Given the features of the soon-to-be-released iPad Pro, there could be some remarkable changes in digitizing coming.

ceilsews <no_reply@...>

JIm,
I'm away from both my ipad and main computer for a few days but wonder if this means that I can import a design into AcuDesign in PES format and use it on the 15000?
Ceil

Seldom away from an iPad or a computer, Jim says:
Yes, that works just fine.

Linda Rayburn

Any idea what the size limitations are for the letters? Trying to find a picture or list on line of what the font styles are.
Thanks,
Linda

Jim says:
Like everything about AcuDesign, there is no information on the lettering. They seem to be pretty much resizable to the same extent as designs, which is essentially unlimited. The program recomputes stitches after each resizing to maintain density.

HEATHER COWAN

And will Dianne do a video for the New placement app ???
Hugs

Yes, once we have it. No idea of the release date.

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 5, 2015, at 5:33 AM, merylm@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

[...]

I now see a cutting feature with another vague description in the app, only stating Edge Wifi cutter. I recently bought a KNK Zing Air cutter. I know Janome used to sell the KNK and I am hoping I will be able to cut to this. Since you can send designs to other embroidery machines do you think this will also be possible?

I am sure glad Diane is not vague in your latest 15000 app update.

Linda

Lacking any kind of cutter, Jim says:
I can't say for sure. The app only shows devices that it detects, and there is no documentation to speak of.

Linda Rayburn

I posed the question to the app developers and I'll let you know if they have an answer.

cas <cas@...>

Thanks for the update!  I just updated to iOS 9 so I’ll go ahead and update my apps too.  I really appreciate anything that will help me understand AcuDesign, I was lost when I tried to edit a design in there.
Cas

ceilsews <no_reply@...>

Jim,
WOW and thanks!  Now I can download the monthly free designs from the site I follow and use them without having to use Wilcom to change them.  I had no idea this was an option.  Guess I'll have to spend some more time with the My 15000 app!

nanabluequilts@...

I just wish they would fix a few bugs, like if you change the package the app freezes, ugh

Author of far too many bugs himself, Jim says:
Changing a package is OK, but if you get a package with 0 entries DO NOT CLICK ON IT! Instead go to the Settings -> My Packages and delete it. As you have noted, tapping an empty package will freeze the app.

pble2000@...

Jim,
Last night I took a look at the My 15000 app on my iPad and the new AcuDesign video was there! Diane and you have done a great job on this tutorial -- thank you. I can see that I will snag my husband's mini iPad so I can watch the tutorial while I work thru the video. AcuDesign is looking much more useful now. I had noticed over the summer that there were new designs that were more appealing to me than the original batch. And I'll be interested in learning more about the lettering module when it is released.

Patti

As it happens, the tutorial was about 95% Diane's work. I added the closed captions. AcuDesign 9 does include the lettering module, which has been released. You purchase it from within the app. Look at the top bar for an icon that looks like a jigsaw puzzle piece and tap it. That brings up the module menu, although lettering is currently the only available module.

Sandra Huggins <luv2hug2@...>

Jim,

Thanks for keeping up with closed captions on all videos you and Diane have done. I am forever thankful for you!! And Diane did a wonderful job making these videos.

Sandra BC Canada

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 5, 2015, at 7:29 PM, pble2000@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

[...]

Lynette Jurasevich <stevovaso@...>

Hi Jim,
I am interested in the lettering module of AcuDesign, but I am wondering if you can import other fonts that have been purchased from other outside websites. I have many font designs from various digitizers (never used any of them yet), but haven't used them yet. I'm not exactly sure how this works when it comes to font designs. Thanks for your help.
Lyn

A veritable font of trivia, Jim manages to come up with this:
Embroidery lettering fonts are generally of two types. Some, such as Embroidery Arts, are sold as packages of individual letter designs. These do not require any special software to use, but because each letter is a design they cannot be easily resized and it is up to the embroiderer to arrange them. Others, like Monogram Wizard, sell fonts that can only be used by their specialized software which can resize and arrange the letters automatically. That's how the fonts in AcuDesign are structured, but there are no additional font packages available right now. DRAWings Snap, the sibling of AcuDesign, includes 14 fonts in its $50 lettering module, while AcuDesign includes 20. Neither offer additional font packages.

If you purchased fonts are of the individual design type you can use them in AcuDesign, but not with the lettering module. You would have to import the letters you need, size and arrange them yourself.

Lynette Jurasevich <stevovaso@...>

Jim,
Thanks so much for the explanation of how the fonts work. I understand it better now.

I'm sure I speak for all of us here...you are so helpfull and we appreciate you!
Thanks.
Lybn

[...]

Erica Getsoian

Hi Jim,

Since the latest iOS update (last week) my AcuDesign app no longer works. When I click on a design it does not show in the main window and the clothesline is there with blank items. I tried deleting the app and downloading again but still have the same problem. I know the file is there because I can export the design to my Dropbox folder and see it there. I have an older iPad that has not been updated and everything works fine. Is there anyone else with this problem? Is there an update for this app or will there be one soon? Thanks.

This appears to be a duplicate submission of an earlier post. Free up space on the iPad, turn it off, then turn it back on.