Embroidery training

Lou Ann

Has anybody out there in our group discovered a site where they compare stabilizers, thread, fabric, needles, designs and stitch counts, even various machines?  I've been embroidering for a few years and still have trouble getting that absolutely smooth look that I see on web sites and in magazines; the ones that don't have ANY fabric distortion around the design.  I still wonder what the secret is to perfect embroidery or even if there is a secret.

HEATHER COWAN

Louann ... I think we all find our tricks and techniques.  I am an odd ball .... I guess but I don't sweat stabilizer.  I use mostly Marathon or Madeira thread.  I keep my machine lint free and change needles often.  I seldom have any puckers or fabric distortion ...... I use designs that are well digitized with good density and pull compensation.  I do NOT EVER hoop fabric.  I believe that the hooping causes pull on the fabric so it stretches a bit and then when unhooped it snaps back .... Then puckers.
I starch my fabric well with STA-FLO blue starch mixed at about 30% starch to 70% water.  Very low cost and easy to get at grocery store.  I hoop med weight tear away for most things unless it needs washaway or cutaway for t-shirts.  I use the machine baste stitch to attach fabric to stabilizer and then let-r-rip.  With 100% cotton I am always happy with result.  With knits I seldom have trouble.  Sometimes in blend fabrics with lots of nap .(velour). .... I get the odd result that isn't perfect.  It it doesn't press out ..... I change fabric.  Life is so short and there are lots of fabrics.... Why battle with one that is cranky.
I know that the sellers of stabilizer disagree with me BUT.... I think a well digitized design will stitch out well ....... You do not need ten types of stabilizer ....  FSL... Wash away.  T-shirts cut away and everything else has to have a sense of humour and accept tear away or it is put of here.
Good luck
Heather

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 13, 2015, at 2:40 PM, louannbush@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

Has anybody out there in our group discovered a site where they compare stabilizers, thread, fabric, needles, designs and stitch counts, even various machines?  I've been embroidering for a few years and still have trouble getting that absolutely smooth look that I see on web sites and in magazines; the ones that don't have ANY fabric distortion around the design.  I still wonder what the secret is to perfect embroidery or even if there is a secret.

vicki chrobak

Louann, check out patternreview.com. for real person machine reviews.  Embroidery Library has great info. on stabilizers, etc.
Vicki Jo

On 9/13/2015 1:18 PM, louannbush@... [janome12000] wrote:
Has anybody out there in our group discovered a site where they compare stabilizers, thread, fabric, needles, designs and stitch counts, even various machines?  I've been embroidering for a few years and still have trouble getting that absolutely smooth look that I see on web sites and in magazines; the ones that don't have ANY fabric distortion around the design.  I still wonder what the secret is to perfect embroidery or even if there is a secret.

Posted by: louannbush@...

vicki chrobak

Louann, I totally agree with Heather, I never hoop fabric. I baste in
the hoop.
Vicki Jo

m1955seamstress

In case you don't know of Trevor Conquergood, he has some classes on embroidery called Embroidery Spectacular.  There is a cost involved but he is great.  He also has classes on digitizing and you can buy his DVDs if you like.  He has a site called Sunset Stitches with information.  You might be able to email him with questions.

Marla

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 14, 2015, at 9:35 AM, vicki chrobak tulsajo1@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

Louann, I totally agree with Heather, I never hoop fabric. I baste in
the hoop.
Vicki Jo

---

My-Stitches

Heather,

The other day I pulled down a sweatshirt that I embroidered 20 years ago, almost, with my first embroidery machine.  We used freezer paper for our stabilizer.  That's what was available and by gosh, it worked!  That ancient sweatshirt's embroidery still looks good and it never did pucker or misbehave in any way.

Mary

I know that the sellers of stabilizer disagree with me BUT.... I think a well digitized design will stitch out well ....... You do not need ten types of stabilizer .

Lou Ann

First, thanks for all the great information.  Several of you have referred to well digitized designs.  That might be part of my problem because I usually download from the less expensive design sites.  I'm trying to remember if I have even used the built in designs!  Would you say that Janome's designs are all well digitized?  I may have to come up with a project to use them!

Thanks, again.

The most thoroughly wasted of all days is that on which one has not laughed.  Nicolas Chamfort

HEATHER COWAN

Louanne:  price is not always an indicator of good digitizing.  One well known digitized with very expensive designs and magazines has poorly digitized designs I MHO.  Most digitizers have free samples.  Download and try and see what you like.  I have never been disappointed in Sue Box, MomoDini, Sewswell, Hatched in Africa, and very inexpensive but lovely kids designs ... Go to JuJu Designs.   The built in designs I have tried have stitched out well.  I just did the Halloween Kitty on a broom and it was great.
Good luck
Heather

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 15, 2015, at 1:17 PM, Lou Ann Bush louannbush@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

First, thanks for all the great information.  Several of you have referred to well digitized designs.  That might be part of my problem because I usually download from the less expensive design sites.  I'm trying to remember if I have even used the built in designs!  Would you say that Janome's designs are all well digitized?  I may have to come up with a project to use them!

Thanks, again.

The most thoroughly wasted of all days is that on which one has not laughed.  Nicolas Chamfort

Lou Ann

Thanks, Heather for your suggestions.  I had not heard of a couple of those sites...more places to visit.  (I'm guilty of looking at designs and all the possibilities for using them more than I actually stitch!)

On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 8:11 PM, "HEATHER COWAN heather-c@... [janome12000]" wrote:

[...]

Patricia Ward

Lou Ann, as added info for you-- I have been very happy with some of the digitizers that are featured at Secretsof.com a site in South Africa.  Some of the ones I find reliable with good digitizing are- Hatched in Africa, ACE Points, Kara's Kreations, All Sorts, Diana's Dezigns, and Molly Mine.  There are many others but those are ones that I can recall using with good results.

Not mentioned as well are the Criswell designs if you love FSL designs.

Pat in Md

On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 8:11 PM, "HEATHER COWAN heather-c@... [janome12000]" <janome12000@...> wrote:

[...]

cladydi328@...

Janome's built in designs are also well designed and stitch out beautifully. All the others that have been mentioned are very good also.
Diane in NC