Needle Threader 15000

cas@...

My needle threader stopped working.  It gets no where near the hole.  I checked for lint and cleaned every spot I can see.  I rethreaded and changed the needle too, it’s a size 90 with regular Gutterman poly thread.  I remember reading something in this group about a spring that needs to be adjusted, it slides down a rod or something?  It was posted in this group.  I’d love to know how to fix it rather than take it to the dealer.
Cas

Linda M <linlefmul@...>

Me too, mine has never threaded anything and I bought my machine out of province.

Linda.

--
Linda M.

Denise

One too actually stopped this morning too. The best that I can see is that the last mechanical thingy you put your thread through before taking it to the cutter on the side is not holding the thread tight enough. I held the thread with just lite pressure on the thread. ..and it works. There is a little tension spring right there...and mine is not holding the thread tight enough. Think I need a new part. ..or just hold the thread. I only have 24 hours on it. Bought is second hand..but sealed in the box. Not sure if warranty would cover.

Try hold the thread lite taunt and see if that works for you.

Denise

cas@...

I’ve had a prior machine into the dealer for a needle threader repair.  They couldn’t fix it so they replaced the motherboard.  On this machine it’s been working wonderfully, threading every time, until yesterday.  I used it 100s of times (84 hrs. showing on the machine only 4 of which are sewing) while working on Hoopsister’s blocks.  I haven’t tried it yet today, thought maybe if I let it sit it will get out of it’s snit.  LOL, I’m a poet.
Cas

cas@...

On mine the part that aims for the needle to push the thread through is not getting any where close to the hole.  I turned it off and turned it back on and switched to straight stitch in case the needle was stuck in a weird position from doing zig-zag stitch.  Of course I did the needle up/down and locked it before I pushed the threader button.  This isn’t my first time in this goat rodeo –  When I got the last machine back and they supposedly fixed it the threader was doing the same thing, there are many posts in this group about this issue on other people’s machines too.  I tried searching for the particular one I’m thinking of but couldn’t find it.
Cas

Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2015 12:06 PM
Subject: [janome12000] Re: Needle Threader 15000

One too actually stopped this morning too. The best that I can see is that the last mechanical thingy you put your thread through before taking it to the cutter on the side is not holding the thread tight enough. I held the thread with just lite pressure on the thread. ..and it works. There is a little tension spring right there...and mine is not holding the thread tight enough. Think I need a new part. ..or just hold the thread. I only have 24 hours on it. Bought is second hand..but sealed in the box. Not sure if warranty would cover.

Try hold the thread lite taunt and see if that works for you.

Denise

cas@...

I gave it a whole day to rest and it’s not working.  I guess I’ll take it to the dealer.

Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2015 2:36 PM
Subject: Re: [janome12000] Needle Threader 15000

I’ve had a prior machine into the dealer for a needle threader repair.  They couldn’t fix it so they replaced the motherboard.  On this machine it’s been working wonderfully, threading every time, until yesterday.  I used it 100s of times (84 hrs. showing on the machine only 4 of which are sewing) while working on Hoopsister’s blocks.  I haven’t tried it yet today, thought maybe if I let it sit it will get out of it’s snit.  LOL, I’m a poet.
Cas

Cheryl Paul

Hi Cas, Don’t lose sleep over a needle threader - I know that for the cost of the machine they should work 100% of the time. I’ve not had any good luck with mine - presently it works when I put a new size 14 needle in new for a few threads, then it just refuses to work. I’ve had my machine in several times and mostly because of this threader. Eric put in a new one and it is only marginally better than the original. Supposedly Janome did a fix from the Version 1 machine, which I own to the Version 2, which you own and we are both having difficulties, so obviously it wasn’t a total fix. Eric, our technician, told me that needle threaders were a hit and miss at the best of times and in his experience never worked on any machine 100% of the time - his opinion, but I trust it as he is suppose to be one of the best technicians in Canada for Janome/Elna. He repairs all makes and models, within reason. Jim may have seen more models and fixed more machines as he lives in an area of many, many more folks than what we have in Saskatoon. After hearing what Eric had to say, I quit worrying about my needle threader and cuss fairly often because I have to do it manually - I feel it a small price to pay to have the good quality of sewing my 15000 does for me. Cheryl - Saskatoon

Limiting his cussing for the evening news, Jim says:
In our 25 years of selling Janome machines, I cannot remember a single model that did not have issues with the needle threader. At least half the problems were owner-induced, but the very nature of the threader makes it insanely fragile and easily damaged. However there is an option for a threader that is very effective and does not require frequent trips to your technician. It's Janome part #200347008 and it looks like this. You just put the thread in, gently push the threader against the needle and slide it down until the blade pushed the thread through the eye. Use the hook to grab it from behind and pull it through. There's also a holder that you can use to put in new needles. This threader is included with many of the Janome sergers. It's available online for $10 to $18, but you can also get it direct from China for less than $5, shipping included. While it's still possible to bend the blade if you push too hard without having it over the eye, I've often been able to straighten it and keep using it. They are cheap enough that you can get several and just toss them if they quit working. This might be the sanity saver that many of you are looking for.

cas@...

I know, I know, it’s just so nice when it works!  I do have the needle threader Jim mentioned too.  I don’t really have an issue finding the hole.  Did you know if you just push the thread above the hole it will slide right into the groove.  It’s just the point of it.  It should work, in fact it should clean my house for me and drive me to the grocery store for as much as it cost!  I’ll take it to the dealer anyway just so Janome is aware of the issue.  Hunching over hurts my neck, I already had neck discectomy and fusion.  It’s funny, I spend most of my time sewing on my old machine because I mounted it at a stand up height just so I can see better.  I could have saved a lot of money and just stuck with that machine.

I wonder why there are sergers that thread four needles, they just blow the thread through,  but nothing like that on sewing machines?
Cas

Sent: Friday, July 10, 2015 9:17 AM

[...]

laucke2011@...

Hi all I have the 12000 and was having trouble with my needle threader not lining up and so I always thread it with the presser foot lowered not sure is this is how you are supposed to do it but it works for me and has never not threaded. Naomi

lora jane hanlon <beaglelady@...>

Actually the jet air threading only threads the lower loopers, I still have to thread the needles, yes my sergers have needle threaders but they do not always work. There are metal tubes that take the thread to where it needs to go inside the machine, probably not a good option for a sewing machine.

Sent from my iPhone

Claire Schutz

You are soooo correct Jim, have that item as the 11000 was just as bad. I have a Pfaff 2140/70 with a pull down needle threader, works for 15 years now. Unfortunately this type is considered outdated, not computerized, guess that is why it works, ha.  Once you get used to using the hand held threader it goes fast, Claire S.

On 7/10/2015 11:17 AM, Cheryl Paul capaul@... [janome12000] wrote:

[...]

Anne Parker <annegparker@...>

Hi Jim and all.

Just took at look at your link and find it sells in US for 9$ - equivalent to about £5.60 in UK - so not too bad - so why does the UK website - http://www.j-shop.co.uk/product/93/needlethreaderneedleinserter/848a36900d9672616aa4584f35b4eb3e sell it for £13 - that's equivalent to 20.8$.  I think that is extortionate - and obviously not some thing you can change. :0)

Anyway I bought a few from Amazon for only around £3 to £4 - here are the links -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JF0EQF6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage - £3.89 inc postage from Hong Kong
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0054P8UGC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage - £4.11 inc postage from Supermart USA

Both work find and I use them on my other machines that don't have needle threaders, including the vintage ones.  Just have problems in bad light seeing the eye in the needle now.

What I did think was interesting though was when I was showing my 8 year old niece how to thread a needle front to back on her 'toy' machine she instinctively put her finger behind the eye so she could see it!  I now sometimes do this myself and it's amazing how much easier it makes it.!

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.  "Desiderata" Max Ehrmann

Anne Parker <annegparker@...>

Cas

I totally agree with you regarding the point of it!  They use the needle threader as a selling point.  One of the many reasons I wanted a new machine was that I wanted an automatic needle threader as when getting older it gets more difficult, takes more time and is just frustrating.  If it says it has an automatic needle threader that is part of what you are paying for and it should work all the time - not just some of it, or never. Other wise it could say it does all sorts of things it doesn't do and that would be ok - not in my book!  If it's touchy and not reliable they should say so, or not use it as a selling point.

I appreciate that sometimes it is user error, and how finely tunned it has to be - but they should be up front about saying those things, not leave us to find out about it after we have bought the machine.  But I guess that is marketing for you.  Don't believe everything you read!

Sorry my rant over! :0)

Hope you get it sorted.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.  "Desiderata" Max Ehrmann

Patricia Ward

Thank you, Jim. I have one of those that I use with my serger and never thought of using it with my other machines. I just still thread the old fashioned way... I put my finger behind the needle eye and aim for it.  So far the old eyes are holding up and the hand is steady enough to do it.

Pat

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 12:17 PM, Cheryl Paul capaul@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

[...]

DLGolfs <DLGolfs@...>

Just my two cents…..I have NEVER been able to make the threader mentioned below to work.  I have one on my serger with a tilt needle and it still does not work

[...]

Vikki Youngmeyer

I have found that with the 15000, the needle threader has issues with the Madeira rayon thread I use for embroidery. Here are some situation I have noticed regarding the needle threader not working:

1)      when thread is not threaded properly thru the thread path – rethread whole path and hit needle up/needle down button

2)      when the needle doesn’t go all the way down after cutting the thread – hit needle up/needle down button usually fixes that issue.

3)      Sometimes it gets persnickety as to where you hold the end of the thread in relation to the threading mechanism. If the mechanism doesn’t rotate properly, the thread won’t be threaded. I have the most luck holding the end of the thread behind the needle assembly.

Have had very few problems with 50 weight Mettler, Superior Sew Fine, Aurifil or 40 weight Superior King Tut thread.

Vikki

Houston, TX

ceilsews <no_reply@...>

I've been fortunate in that the needle threader in my 15000 v1 has always worked.  That is once I realized the thread had to be pulled into that little spot they call the "hook" in the manual.  I even mistakenly used metallic thread once without thinking that I shouldn't use the needle threader and it worked.
One day while doing and in the hoop project I hit the needle down button and the needle went into the zipper and broke.  At first it seemed the needle threader was broken as it would not work.  But I kept trying it and pushed the whole unit up and finally it's working again with no problems.  So they can work.  Maybe it's a matter of how they were put on in the factory.   When my dealer checked my machine when I first bought it and before I brought it home, I remember he did check the needle threader.  If someone is buying a new machine they should insist that the needle threader works before leaving their dealer.
Ceil

DLGolfs <DLGolfs@...>

Agreed!!!  It should work all the time OR change the design until it does.

[...]

marie.drozdis <marie.drozdis@...>

In addition to the needle threader Jim recommends, I have great success with
the looped wire threaders. You can separate the loop in the threader wide
enough to put a finger or two through it, so it's easy to get the thread
through. I have both hand and eye difficulties and the only problem I
ever had was actually seeing the needle eye. The thread is pulled
right through the eye, so there's no tiny thread loop to have to grab onto.

Just a suggestion. They've saved me a lot of frustration.

http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-SPI-083084-Looped-Needle-Threader-6/dp/B003W0UV2C/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1436697265&sr=8-7&keywords=wire+loop+needle+threader

or, the tiny url
http://tinyurl.com/nngxpxa

MarieD

cas@...

Oh, that makes more sense now.  I always wondered how it threaded the needles.  Does it work pretty good threading the loopers?  It’s a pain threading my Brother serger.
Cas