Attaching guide bar to the walking foot

susies.stitches@...

Can someone please tell me how to attach the quilting guide bar to the walking foot?  I though I did it once before, but the hole is too small, and the bar won't go through it.  I didn't see any other holes; I'm using the larger walking foot.  Do I need to use the smaller one?  Thank you for answering such a silly question.

juliadlf1 <no_reply@...>

Is this what your referring to? This is for the 12000 so not sure what model you have but would think it would be  the same. It attaches to your Acufeed foot which is what I think your referring to as the walking foot?

Janome: Video Window

susies.stitches@...

Thank you for the links to the video.  I didn't realize there were 2 guide bars, so I'll look in the accessory case for it.  According to the video, both of them should fit on either side of the Accufeed foot.  I tried the longer one, and it was too thick to fit into the hole.  There didn't seem to be much of a hole on the left side.  A friend of mine put it in for me the first time, and I think I've done it myself.  I didn't use my 12000 for several months, and I've forgotten quite a bit. This is my first Janome, and switching brands is a surefire way to get me confused.  I love the Janome; the stitch quality is so much better.  Unless the 12000 gets so old that it can't be fixed, I'll stick with the 12000.  The dealer I go to is very good, and stands by his machines, so I wouldn't have any qualms about buying a used one from him.  The machine I have was a floor model, and barely used. It's the first machine that doesn't jam up.  If something doesn't work right, I pull out the manual so I can make sure it's threaded properly.  I'll try the other foot and see if it fits.  If it doesn't, I'll ask my friend or take the foot and guide bar to the dealer.

juliadlf1 <no_reply@...>

I only received one in my kit when I purchased my machine which goes on the right side of the foot when facing the machine. I bought my machine new but after several months, the dealer I bought from went out of business. I've always thought to check around to see if I could find just the one bar that goes on the left side. Seeing your post today reminded me to start checking on line to see if there is a part number for just the one bar.  The bar is long but that is so you can adjust it to whatever length you want your rows to be. I did have trouble getting the bar in the Accufeed foot the first time but then after that it was fine.

Julia

juliadlf1 <no_reply@...>

I stand corrected on the number of Quilting Guide Bar with the 12000. I just pulled my manual out and it lists only one bar being included in the accessories I got. I had a notation to check about a second one for the other side of the foot. I'm not sure why the Janome video refers to a "set" versus a single bar.

Jim: Do you recall how folks were using the single quilting guide bar for both right and left sides of the Acufeed foot?

Julia

Using both the right and left sides of the keyboard, Jim says:
You could do that with the guides shown at the bottom of this page.

FIRED-UP@...

The Quilting guide that comes with the machines is shorter and is inserted into the foot from the right side.
The bar is 2 3/4" long (but  1" of it's length is inserted into the foot). So, the maximum distance between lines of stitching would be nearly 2".  This is the one that is listed in the machine manual and comes with the machines.

There is a newer SET that is called Long Quilting Guide Bar Set  (part # 202025003). This came out at a later
time.

It is a set of 2 quilting bars.  One works from the left side and the other works from the right side.  They are longer, which gives you more options for use.  They measure 4 5/8" long.(but 1" of it's length is inserted into the foot)  So with this set the maximum distance between lines of stitching would be about 3 1/2")

I hope this helps. Cindy

Sue Raabe <susies.stitches@...>

I wonder if I'm using the wrong foot?  It looks like the one in the video I watched that a member of the group sent as a link., Maybe I have the wrong one  There's another one that looks similar, but smaller.  I'm pretty sure I've used it before, but the hole is just a little small for it to through.  I looked at the left side, and the hole is tiny.  If it had been big enough,  I would just use it on the one side.  I didn't any picture of it on the bottom of the page; maybe I just didn't see it, so I'll look again.  .The Janome video shows it being inserted while the foot is on the machine.  I didn't want to force it and break it.  I finally gave up and drew lines, but that's very tedious and time consuming.  Maybe I should go back to the manual, and check it against the picture of it.  It's not an earth shattering issue, but it would be nice to be able to use it.  If I can't figure it out, I'll take the foot and guide bar to the dealer and have him show me, and then have him watch me doing it.  I know there has to be a simple solution.  It certainly isn't a machine problem!

Mary E

I had a similar problem with the guide bar for my DC2014. turns out I was not unscrewing the screw on top far enough. You really do have to unscrew it just about all the way for the bar to fit in there
Mary E

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 10:02 AM, Sue Raabe susies.stitches@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

[...]

Guess it's time I started following the instruction exactly.  I tend to rush things and make mistakes.  A friend of mine called me after my last post, and I kept saying "I don't see any other holes".  I finally took the small one out of the accessory box, and much to my surprise I discovered the correct hole.  Since the foot was already attached, I ignored that crucial bit of information.  I had no idea that the correct hole was lurking behind the screw.  I want to thank  for their input and suggestions .  Why on earth did I think there wasn't a good reason to follow the directions exactly?  I apologize to all of you for the time and effort you spent helping me.  I really appreciate this group.  Everyone is so helpful,  I read the posts, but try not to write in unless  I've tried everything I know. I've already drawn the lines this time, but at least I won't have to do it again.

karenj33857@...

You are a brave lady. Most of use do not like to admit to user error. Gee, that seems to happen a lot. User error that is. I have it all the time. Good luck with your machine.
Karen

Sent from my iPad