New videos for the My 15000 app

Jim Stutsman

We have just released a new video category for the My 15000 app. There are four videos in the "Free Motion Quilting" category:

  • Supplies for Free Motion Quilting - What you need to get started
  • Finding Your Speed - How to determine the speed most comfortable for you
  • Beginning and Ending - Different methods for starting and stopping for the best appearance
  • Using the Ruler Foot - How to use the optional foot for following rulers or templates
These videos will automagically appear in your app within 24 hours, but if you can't wait just tap the gear icon in the top right corner of the screen. In the Settings pop-over tap "Check for Updates" and you should get updated to content version 18.

For more information about the My 15000 app click here.

Linda Rayburn

Well Jim, the new videos must not have a sense of time because they've already appeared in my app! I just finished watching them all. Not being a quilter, I am loving the new instructions to help me become a quilter and to take full advantage of my 15000. Keep those easy to understand videos coming.

Linda

bellecon3

Is there anyway those of us without Apple products can get those videos?  Would it help with my 12000?

Jim says:
The "My 15000" app was written for the Apple iPad. Due to the plethora of different variations on Android we have no plans to develop for that platform. For the 12000 we do offer DVDs with videos for that machine. Thanks for asking!

Judy Jackson <judy.j282@...>

Thank you, thank you, thank you..........!! X

Sent from my iPad

On 11 Feb 2015, at 15:10, jim.stutsman@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

We have just released a new video category for the My 15000 app. There are four videos in the "Free Motion Quilting" category:

  • Supplies for Free Motion Quilting - What you need to get started
  • Finding Your Speed - How to determine the speed most comfortable for you
  • Beginning and Ending - Different methods for starting and stopping for the best appearance
  • Using the Ruler Foot - How to use the optional foot for following rulers or templates
These videos will automagically appear in your app within 24 hours, but if you can't wait just tap the gear icon in the top right corner of the screen. In the Settings pop-over tap "Check for Updates" and you should get updated to content version 18.

For more information about the My 15000 app click here.

maria boone

Hi everyone. My name is Mariah and I'm new here.
I'm also new to FMQ, so the new video's will come in handy! I really like the app!

ceilsews <no_reply@...>

Welcome, Mariah!  You'll love this group!
Yes, the new videos on the My15000 app are great.  Diane has included tips and techniques that I've never seen before.  I find this app more useful than the book.
Ceil

---In janome12000@..., <boonemaria498@...> wrote :

Hi everyone. My name is Mariah and I'm new here.
I'm also new to FMQ, so the new video's will come in handy! I really like the app!

prc

Jim, understand you have the 12000 cd's and the footbook ( which i have) but it seems you are doing additional topics and/or refreshed content for the 15000.  Since the two machines have a lot incommon would there not be value in having the 15000 iOS apps for a 12000 owner likt the FMQ?

Paul

Overcome by rampant verbosity, Jim says:
Like many, we did not expect the 15000 to come out so soon after the 12000. There were enough differences that it was clear we would need to make all new videos. We learned a lot of lessons on the 12000 videos:
  • DVDs are permanent and unchangeable. You have to get it right before you commit to making a large number of them.
  • DVDs are most economical in large quantities. We still have a lifetime supply of volume 2.
  • Most computers now come without a DVD drive.
  • Putting the videos on a web page becomes a nightmare when trying to support all the different web browsers and device screens. We spent many hours trying to make the DVDs play on any computer, and we still get occasional issues with some combination that doesn't work.
  • Mailing DVDs is messy, especially when going out of the US. More than once I had the Post Office automated system deliver an international shipment back to me just because my return address was on the front of the envelope. I have since learned to hide the return address on the back.
When Janome introduced the 15000 with an iPad (except for some UK purchasers) we realized that using an app would solve all of the above problems, plus giving us a chance to update or add videos. We have talked about doing a 12000 app, but unlike the 15000 there is no near guarantee that a 12000 owner would have an iPad. So what do you 12000 owners think? Would a 12000 app be of any interest?

sharon varga <sharon2548@...>

ABSOLUTELY!!!

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 11, 2015, at 11:43 PM, paul.cushing@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

[...]

Betsy Pompi

Yes, Yes, Yes!  I love the foot app, please put out the 12000 app.  I bought the 12000 when it first came out and couldn’t/wouldn’t want to upgrade so quickly.  But I know that I need help with getting my full “money” out of the 12000 without help.

[...]

Anne Stoye

Dear Jim,

I am a 12000 owner and I have an iPad.  Yes I would definitely buy an app, even if relatively expensive.  I have your FootBook and the DVDs you did for the 12000 but watching on an iPad would be much easier (I agree that many laptops need an external DVD drive).

So you will sell at least one!  But I realise that you need rather more support than just mine before you embark on work and expense.  I hope lots of other 12000 owners will show support too and you will feel encouraged to undertake this.

Anne (from Somerset, UK)

When Janome introduced the 15000 with an iPad (except for some UK purchasers) we realized that using an app would solve all of the above problems, plus giving us a chance to update or add videos. We have talked about doing a 12000 app, but unlike the 15000 there is no near guarantee that a 12000 owner would have an iPad. So what do you 12000 owners think? Would a 12000 app be of any interest?

Carl Fuller

Having to by an Apple is almost as appealing as having to pay taxes.
Nothing against the Apple equipment. Just the idea. ;-)

Lou Ann

Here’s a question that shows my ignorance on the subject of apps: Will an app download and work on a desktop computer? I don’t have an iPad, iPod, or any kind of tablet but I do have a Mac and a PC with Windows 7 (the PC is what sits next to the MC 12000 in my sewing room).

Having more tablets than an aspirin bottle, Jim says:
The iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch devices all use an operating system call iOS. It's built on the concept of a touch screen and is VERY different from the operating systems used on desktop computers. We chose to use an app for our 15000 videos because Janome has produced apps for it. Previously we had done DVDs for the 12000, which are available here

prc

Resounding YES.  It would be interesting to know the numbers but here in the US my guess is most owners of a 12000 would have at least one iPad or iPhone in the home.  I asume the larger screen iPhone's make it a decent playback device.

Margaret Wilburn

I'm ready...have iMac, iPhone, iPad.

Margaret

blue_lak <no_reply@...>

Yes, I do think there would be much interest in buying a 12000 app. Just how many orders versus your time and cost for producing them is only something you can calculate. I'd venture a guess that more than half of the 12000 DVD purchasers would buy the app, and they're still buying them.

The advantage of an iPad is that I can literally set it next to the machine for visual reference to reinforce what Diane is showing, or I can more comfortably isolate myself and watch and absorb the info along with a cup of coffee and croissant.

Jan Steiner

Sheila Cheatham

I have not purchased or downloaded the app yet but thinking about it.  I have the Janome ipad which I only use for the 15000 but also have a separate ipad that I travel with and use for personal stuff.  If I download the app on the Janome ipad will it be available to me on my other ipad through icloud.  I am not a teckie person and not sure how all this works.  Is there a way for me not to purchase 2 apps?

Sheila

Reasonably sure of how all this works, Jim says:

There is no need to double down on the My 15000 app. As long as you use the same Apple ID on both devices you can have all the same apps on both iPads while only buying them once. If you purchase the app on your Janome iPad you can go to the App Store icon on the Roadie iPad and search for the app. Instead of a price you will see a cloud icon with an arrow coming out of it. Tap that to download and install the app with no additional cost. This also works with all the other apps you have.

Bonita Hunsaker <hunfam@...>

I have the 12000 and I do have an iPad..I think it would be fantastic!! I was so excited when I found this group and the helps with the 12000, I bought the foot book and the DVDs, and then the 15000 came out and I have felt a bit left out since..:(.  Not because of this group so much as Janome kind of pulled a fast one on we 12000 owners..I'm not in a position to upgrade and I do love my 12000...but still want and need the support of this group!! Thank you Jim and Diane!!

Bonita
Hunfam@...

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 11, 2015, at 5:27 PM, paul.cushing@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

[...]

I didn't specifically say in my other post that I would purchase the app, so here is my resounding YES I WOULD!!!  Please do it for us!! :)

Bonita
Idaho

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 12, 2015, at 8:44 AM, blue_lak <no_reply@...> wrote:

Yes, I do think there would be much interest in buying a 12000 app. Just how many orders versus your time and cost for producing them is only something you can calculate. I'd venture a guess that more than half of the 12000 DVD purchasers would buy the app, and they're still buying them.

The advantage of an iPad is that I can literally set it next to the machine for visual reference to reinforce what Diane is showing, or I can more comfortably isolate myself and watch and absorb the info along with a cup of coffee and croissant.

Jan Steiner

theeter822

Just because one owns an iPad does not mean that one likes using it. I, for one, have not purchased Jim's videos because I don't want to use iPad apps for instructions. I prefer to have my larger screen on my laptop do that kind of work.

ceilsews <no_reply@...>

I have the My 15000 app on my ipad mini and it's large enough for me, plus I can put it right at the machine.  The videos are full screen and are very easy for me to see on the mini!

Cleaning his trifocals, Jim says:
Using Airplay to an Apple TV will allow you to display it on a big screen. You can also use a $12 app called Reflector to display the videos on the screen of a Mac or Windows PC, or even an Android device.