Thread question

ceilsews <no_reply@...>

After hearing me complain that I didn't have the right color thread for a project, my husband suggested that I just buy a "bunch of them".  I had been buying a few colors at a time and haven't managed to accumulate many.  In the past I liked Robison Anton thread best but after getting a multi-spool holder, I don't think it matters too much.  I was thinking of Madeira as I found some good prices for kits.  I don't want to over-buy a lot of colors that I'll never use but I do want to be able to have a good selection at hand.   Any brands that I should avoid?  I think I'd rather stick with one brand (right now I have an assortment as I was trying to find the best one.)  While I really like Superior Threads, their prices are very high compared to others.

Any thoughts?

Ceil

Beth

Ceil - check Sewforless.com. I used Exquisite and Jenny Haskins embroidery thread. The Jenny was with the 15000 and the Exquisite was what I started with first. I really have no problem with either.
Beth

Sent from my iPad

HEATHER COWAN

I use Madeira when I am in the USA.  I buy on line through Thread Mart ... Great thread and great prices.  In Canada I use Marathon thread from Winnipeg ..... I prefer their thread as all my machines love it and I think their metallics are fantastic.   
Hugs Heather 

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 21, 2014, at 4:45 PM, ceilsews <no_reply@...> wrote:

After hearing me complain that I didn't have the right color thread for a project, my husband suggested that I just buy a "bunch of them".  I had been buying a few colors at a time and haven't managed to accumulate many.  In the past I liked Robison Anton thread best but after getting a multi-spool holder, I don't think it matters too much.  I was thinking of Madeira as I found some good prices for kits.  I don't want to over-buy a lot of colors that I'll never use but I do want to be able to have a good selection at hand.   Any brands that I should avoid?  I think I'd rather stick with one brand (right now I have an assortment as I was trying to find the best one.)  While I really like Superior Threads, their prices are very high compared to others.

Any thoughts?

Ceil

Pam Davison

There are several brands that I use but if you are concerned about pricing I have purchased from www.metroemb.com.  They sell 2 different brands - metro and sigma.  I have only tried the metro brand (my girlfriend has tried the sigma brand with no issues reported)

Right now the 166 metro spool thread package is sold out but it cost $123.  They sell a 150 sigma spool thread package for $112.50.  These are mini spools (1000m) but they also have the large spool (5000m).

Sent from Windows Mail

Sent: ‎Sunday‎, ‎December‎ ‎21‎, ‎2014 ‎6‎:‎45‎ ‎PM
To: mdaniel@... [janome12000]

Any thoughts?

Ceil

Anne Parker <annegparker@...>

So far nearly every thread I've tried has worked fine.

I got a case of cotton Mettler threads with the machine - 30,40,50 and 60 weights which are great. 

I bought 75 (supposed to be bankrupt stock) Coats speciality threads off Ebay.  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221614619809?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The listing comes up every few months so can't confirm they are Coats but they work fine.  The machine threads are rayon and metalic.  I've had no problems with either.  The seller also has a listing for cotton wrapped polyester (Dual Duty) and I've had no issues sewing with that either.

I've bought rayon thread which I believe is from China - a pack of 75 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141241405769?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

35 are marked Domino Chikan Art Silk Coats and seem about 60 weight, 40 are marked Classic seem about 40 weight.  So far I've only had issues with one purple reel of the Domino over a narrow edge of a dense design.  If I find the thread is getting caught at the end of each reel I do wind the colours on to a bobbin to use as they are wound onto carboard centres with no 'ends' to stop the thread falling off.

Maybe once I get more experience with embroidery techniques I may look at other threads, but if what I've bought works fine then I'll just continue using as long as I can get it.  My embroidery will only be for my own and family use so I will be able to see how well the threads stand up to washing - though I do intend to do a few tests too!

I do clean the bobbin area after each design is completed but the lint from these threads doesn't seem to be excessive to me.

Anne
www.sewingtales.wordpress.com

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.  "Desiderata" Max Ehrmann

blue_lak <no_reply@...>

For embroidery, I use Madeira and R-A, both rayon and poly, interchangeably but don't mix rayon with poly in the same project. These I get from 
http://www.brothermall2.com/Thread/Default.aspx?PCID=7

For quilting I tend to use Aurifil, Madeira, and Mettler cotton because they don't produce lint. I just watch for sales on these at different places. I do occasionally use Connecting Threads for top stitching but it does produce some lint. 

And for general sewing, C&C Dual Duty or Mettler Metrosene.

All of these threads I had been using before I bought the 12000 and all have worked flawlessly with it so I've continued with them. 

What my 12000 definitely doesn't like is C&C poly embroidery. I had a couple that were given as a gift and I had to constantly tweak tension to get a half-way decent stitchout. They seem to be a bit stiff and don't lay down as easily as Madeira and R-A, i.e. produced loops. I got so frustrated that I ended up tossing them.

Jan in MD

Vikki Youngmeyer

Speaking of threads, we had an embroidery class at work and encountered an interesting problem. Most of the machines involved were the Janome 9900. The store sells a variety of threads and the thread giving problems was Floriani Polyester embroidery thread. These were the 1000 meter size spools which were a tight fit in the horizontal thread guides of the 9000 machines. The design of the thread paths between the 9000 and the 15000 are identical.

What was happening was that the thread would get a couple of loops wrapped around the shaft and then break. We tried flipping the spools around, using various size spool caps, and even winding thread on a bobbin and using that as the spool. The latter solution gave the best result, in that there was no thread breakage. In checking the Floriani bobbins, we noticed that the bottoms of the spools were rough to the touch. One person taking the class was a shop employee. She was going to use an emery board to smooth out the rough edges of one spool and see if that made a difference.

I tried using cones on the after-market thread stands that attached to the various machines, but had similar problems. So have ended up using a stand-alone unit made by Superior, with relatively good results.

Any other suggestions or “work-arounds” would be appreciated.

Vikki

Houston, TX

Sent: Monday, December 22, 2014 3:07 AM
To: janome12000@...
Subject: [janome12000] Re: Thread question

I got a case of cotton Mettler threads with the machine - 30,40,50 and 60 weights which are great. 

I bought 75 (supposed to be bankrupt stock) Coats speciality threads off Ebay.  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221614619809?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The listing comes up every few months so can't confirm they are Coats but they work fine.  The machine threads are rayon and metalic.  I've had no problems with either.  The seller also has a listing for cotton wrapped polyester (Dual Duty) and I've had no issues sewing with that either.

I've bought rayon thread which I believe is from China - a pack of 75 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141241405769?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

35 are marked Domino Chikan Art Silk Coats and seem about 60 weight, 40 are marked Classic seem about 40 weight.  So far I've only had issues with one purple reel of the Domino over a narrow edge of a dense design.  If I find the thread is getting caught at the end of each reel I do wind the colours on to a bobbin to use as they are wound onto carboard centres with no 'ends' to stop the thread falling off.

Maybe once I get more experience with embroidery techniques I may look at other threads, but if what I've bought works fine then I'll just continue using as long as I can get it.  My embroidery will only be for my own and family use so I will be able to see how well the threads stand up to washing - though I do intend to do a few tests too!

I do clean the bobbin area after each design is completed but the lint from these threads doesn't seem to be excessive to me.

Anne

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.  "Desiderata" Max Ehrmann

Marsha

I use BFC-poly from BFC-stash.com.  A huge selection of colors with a better price than others of similar quality.  This is the thread that BFC-creations.com uses for their designs.

HTH,

Marsha

Claire Schutz

Suz of BFC creations sells thread which is very good and her shipping costs reasonable.  She does have sales as well.  It is listed under "Stash" on her web site, the service is wonderful, I would recommend it, Claire S.

On 12/21/2014 3:37 PM, ceilsews wrote:

Any thoughts?

Ceil

redrocks55

Hi Vicki

I have used the stand alone thread stand on all of my machines starting with the 6000 though the 15000 and never have had any real  problems not even with the metallic’s. I do agree that Floriani thread doesn’t work as well as other brands.  But the thread I like the very best is Isacord or the old Isafil.   And it is expensive. But I do firmly believe that you get what you pay for.

Marcia

Sent: Monday, December 22, 2014 9:02 AM
Subject: RE: [janome12000] Re: Thread question

I tried using cones on the after-market thread stands that attached to the various machines, but had similar problems. So have ended up using astand-alone unit made by Superior, with relatively good results.

Any other suggestions or “work-arounds” would be appreciated.

Vikki

Houston, TX

Sent: Monday, December 22, 2014 3:07 AM
Subject: [janome12000] Re: Thread question

Anne

ceilsews <no_reply@...>

Wow, thanks everyone for your input!   There seems to be a wide variety of choices out there.  I thought maybe the machines might like some threads better than others but few seem to have had problems with any of the brands.  I need the thread for embroidery as I do have thread for general sewing.
I'd love to buy the Madeira collection of all the colors in 413 colors and the chest that they go in.  Practically speaking, however, I think I'll try to collect colors that I'll most likely use and then get some special threads and different weights.  Still not sure which brand to go with but I have a lot to look at now.  I thought I should avoid the lower priced threads but it seems that many have had no difficulties with them. 
I guess I was hoping for one overwhelming result- everyone loving one or two brands while having problems with others.  Guess it's a tribute to the quality of the machine that they'll accept so many different threads.
Thanks again.
Ceil

Patricia Ward

Ceil, I have almost very color of Isacord. I love that thread for it sews well in the machine and doesn't shred. It holds up well through many launderings and keeps its shine.

Pat

On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 4:37 PM, ceilsews <no_reply@...> wrote:

Any thoughts?

Ceil

Barb Engvall

i have purchased a starter set of threads from Maderia and also have a lot of Sulky small spools that give m a lot to chose from. I buy larger spools of standard colors to also have on hand. I have a large set of Mola designs I want to do so I have purchased those in larger spools. I also bought a set of Florini threads but find I don’t use them much…I don’t have a lot of choices in purchasing locally hence a lot of sulky…I try to plan ahead when I am at Sewing Expo in Puyallup, WA each March and stock up on some favorite colors from Superior.

Haven’t used RA…I also have a good friend with whom I can share and borrow!

On Dec 21, 2014, at 6:50 PM, HEATHER COWAN heather-c@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

Any thoughts? 

Ceil

ceilsews <no_reply@...>

Pat, I've heard that Isacord lacks shine.  Is that true? Have you compared it with others?   I know that Isacord has a huge following so there must be some reason!

---In janome12000@..., <ward.pm@...> wrote :

Ceil, I have almost very color of Isacord. I love that thread for it sews well in the machine and doesn't shred. It holds up well through many launderings and keeps its shine.

Pat

Sarah A. Smith <sarahannsmith@...>

Ceil, as you might guess by my DVD and book titles, I’m all about thread. I think the quality of the Isacord, Madeira and Superior Threads are comparable. I don’t know anywhere to get Robison Anton so haven’t used it. I would stick to a good poly, not rayon. The rayons are not always lightfast (fading! ICK) and don’t take as much wear and tear as the polyester.

I use mostly Superior Threads. Check the price per inch or yard when you are comparing prices. The spools of poly, which have 500 yards, are only $6, so not sure but that seems reasonable price to me. The cones have 3000 YARDS (nearly two MILES of thread) and last for freakin ever—buy the spools unless you do longarm work for hire. I do buy some cones of the Bottom Line, their bobbin thread in my most used colors (medium-dark green, rust, cream, navy, several others) and spools of Bottom Line for the rest. Mettler has a Poly Sheen that seems similar…their spools are 220 yards at 2.65, so about the same in cost per 100 yards (Superior may be a bit less, not gonna do the math LOL!). I googled and found Robison Anton poly embroidery thread at 4.75 for 1100 yards, so that is definitely less, but I’ve never tried it.

As for setting up a stash of color…you’re on the right track. If you go with Superior, buying the color card which has actual thread on it is TOTALLY worth it. The new line of 40-wt poly, Magnifico, has some 200 colors and the thread chart is $14. Just add a dot next to the ones you have and you can then fill in as you wish.

In terms of what colors to buy, look at your current project and recent work. What colors have you used? For me, I find a range of nature colors works best. I (GULP) bought each and every color of Hollis’ Living Colors line which has skin tones from deep dark brown to Irish pale, tans, pinks, corals. I have not once regretted having that range, and find I use the brows a lot in landscapes, too. I also bought her Nature Colors line, which gave a good broad range for “nature” quilts (landscapes, gardens etc). Then a spool or two of your favorite color just because!

I decided, when I started in building my thread stash, to give up buying fabric for a year or two. I had plenty of fabric. Once the expense of setting up a large range of colors is over, you only need to fill in a couple of spools at a time, and if you love thread and using the colors of thread in your work as much as I do, you will never regret having that range right there.

Going back to brands, I use mostly Superior, but sometimes I have a spool of Madeira that is just slightly different and just right. With the expanded Magnifico color range, which they began maybe 15 months ago?, tho I might be able to stick with just Superior.

HTH! Have fun shopping,

Cheers, Sarah

Check out my DVD: Art Quilt Design: From Photo to Threadwork
Author of bestseller ThreadWork Unraveled
website and blog: http://www.sarahannsmith.com/weblog
e-mail: sarah@...

Sarah A. Smith <sarahannsmith@...>

Vikki: the only other workaround I can think of is (besides the spool stand you buy to attach to the back of the machine) improvising your own thread stand with a safety pin taped to the end of the machine (or the lid, kept in the up position). Use the round “eye” end at the top, set the spool in a glass/cup behind the machine, and thread through the round eye end of the safety pin, then follow the thread path.

I made an additional thread guide by using a nail to melt a hole into the large spool cap, being careful to leave no snaggy rough edges. I don’t have the round gizzie that fits in the spot on the front, the thread guide that fit on the 8900 is square, and while I tried putting a paperclip in that round little hold on the top/near the front, it wobbled and didn’t work well for me. A hole added to the large spool cap (I had an extra) works a charm.

Cheers, Sarah

Check out my DVD: Art Quilt Design: From Photo to Threadwork
Author of bestseller ThreadWork Unraveled
website and blog: http://www.sarahannsmith.com/weblog
e-mail: sarah@...

cmgazerro@...

http://redrockthreads.com sells Robison Anton as well as other brands.  I use the polyester for the same reason.

Carolyn

Anne Parker <annegparker@...>

>> - I made an additional thread guide by using a nail to melt a hole into the large spool cap, being careful to leave no snaggy rough edges.

Now that is interesting.

I have a large spool cap for my 1992 Elna Diva.  I've never seen anything like it anywhere else, and would definately keep it if I ever sell the machine.
The cap fits snuggly on the horizontal spool pin, but it has a second 'end' which spins around that central cap with alternate slots and holes for feeding thread through - so moves as the thread unwinds.  I normally just feed the thread through a slot, but I can see if I had problems using something it might pay to use one of the holes.

I've never thought of making a hole in other spool caps though - will have to remember that one!

Anne
​ in Stubbington, UK​