Storing designs on the USB

Anne Parker <annegparker@...>

Hi All

Today I decided to sort out the formating of a USB and storing designs.  Just thought I would share what I found with the 15000v2 - and forgive me if this had been mentioned before.

Anyway - I had the machine on, plugged a new USB into the machine, went to the Set menu and formatted it. Great it created the EMB and Embf folders.

I then created a new folder TEST as described in the manual - so I had 2 folders on the USB below EMB.

Then I removed it and plugged into my PC - which saw the EMB and both lower folders (it also saw the ORD but that's for normal sewing so wasn't concerned with that).

I put a design in each of the folders - Embf and TEST.  I also put a file just in the EMB folder.  So 3 files in total.

I then put the USB back in the machine and was able to bring all 3 files into the ready to sew window.

What I did find is that when you first select the USB all you get displayed are the lower folders - I got Embf and TEST - and in each of those was the one design I had put there - but if you scroll to the next page you will find designs that are just files in the EMB folder alone.

For some reason I had gathered that all embrodery files had to be placed in the Embf folder or at least another folder.  It seems they only have to be in the EMB folder?

Just wondered if this was something new in 15000 v2 or has it always been this way for the 15000 and I have just mis-understood?

Anne
www.sewingtales.wordpress.com

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.  "Desiderata" Max Ehrmann

Having always been this way, Jim says:
Janome embroidery machines through the 11000 have had strict folder requirements with regard to designs on a USB stick. Effective with the 12000 it became possible to put designs virtually anywhere on the drive, though the machine would create the legacy EMB -> EmbF structure on new USB drives and defaults to EMB when you open the drive. However you are free to navigate to other folders on the USB drive, as Anne has pointed out. This is also true for all versions of the 15000.

Barb Engvall

Good to know! I’ve only been using my thumb drive that I had for the 11000 and that seemed to work ok but thought there was an extra step…Thanks!

On Dec 21, 2014, at 6:33 AM, Anne Parker annegparker@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

[...]

Sue Raabe <susies.stitches@...>

I feel pretty ignorant to ask this, but what is the purpose of formatting a USB drive, and how is it done?  I have loads of designs stored that way, and have never formatted any of them.  Does that put my designs at risk?  I do have most of my designs on a portable hard drive as well as on the PC and flash drives (although I have no idea which is which!)  I don't think I have many of purchased CD's backed up anywhere.  Are they safe that way. or can they go bad?  Thanks for educating me - I tend to jump in with both feet and get myself in trouble.

Asked the difference between ignorance and apathy, Jim doesn't know and doesn't care, but he says:
Formatting is a term applied to all forms of data storage media. It is a process of initializing the media for use by writing a directory, as well as scanning for defects and mapping them out. Over time the term has gotten misused a lot. In the case of a USB drive, they come pre-formatted from the factory so they are ready to use immediately. This is also true for hard drives. Different operating systems may use differing ways of accessing data, and it is sometimes necessary to reformat a drive to make it acceptable for a given system. This is true for PCs and Macs, although some formats can be used by both.

In the case of USB drives, plugging them into your machine for the first time accomplishes what most people call formatting, but is actually just creating folders on the device. It's also possible to format them in your computer by right-clicking the drive and choosing "Format". However you should NOT do this with all the USB devices you have, as they are already formatted and the formatting process will delete everything on the drive. This is also true for external hard drives.

Designs on USB and external disk drives are at risk for media failure. Hard drives, having mechanical components, wear out and fail. USB drives are not mechanical, but do have a finite lifetime. They can also be damaged by removing incorrectly from the computer. CDs generally don't fail, but are subject to scratching and dirt.  You might want to consider getting a free DropBox account (www.dropbox.com), which would give you 2GB of storage in the "cloud". Backing up designs that way protects you from loss of media.

Sue Raabe <susies.stitches@...>

Thanks for the clarification.  I actually have a drop box account, but never thought to use it for storing designs.  I have some items already in there, that I can put elsewhere if I need the space.  Not being anywhere resembling a computer expert, I have no idea how much storage I'll need for my designs.  I probably would if i remembered to check the file size.  Would it help save storage space if I zip them?  So much to remember!  Thanks for explaining.