Flashdrive with Error Messages

cas@...

Thanks Jim, I was hoping I could save the data.  When I had XP I would click to eject the drive and it would tell me when it was safe and the lights would go off on the drive.  Only then would I remove it.

I’ve noticed with Win 7 the lights never go out (hubby says the same with his Win 8 laptop) even though I do get the message that it is safe to remove the drive.  So perhaps it was not really safe and I ruined the drive?  Can you think of anyway I could repair the syntax and retrieve any of those files?  Precious photos and all....  I know I should have backed up more often, but I used to back up to my laptop and recently upgraded that to Win 7 also and had not done it.

This brings up another issue I forgot to mention.  My Janome 15000 that is being replaced would never “see” the flash drive although I tried three different ones.  I thought it was because of the USB splitter so I bought a USB extension cable and it still wouldn’t see it.  So I tried plugging it in directly in both ports.  It would not read the USB.  I’m guessing now that is because my machine was messed up.  Again, this was after the upgrade.  Prior to that I downloaded a design from my PC that I edited in Horizon Link to a USB drive and plugged it in and used it in the Janome. 

This was when my 15K was still sitting on the kitchen counter and I was not sewing with it, just using the embroidery functions.

Cas

Jim says:
You may be able to recover the data. There are lots of resources available. Just Google "repair flash drive" and you'll have plenty to pick from. I kind of doubt that the 15000 destroyed it, but it might have. I would definitely NOT recommend storing photos on the same flash drive used for embroidery. They are cheap enough that you should have a drive just for use in the machine.

cas@...

Thanks Jim.  I did not mean the Janome destroyed it.  I was just sharing that something else that was wrong with the Janome I’m replacing.  It would not read a flash drive after the update. This is even though it was a good flash drive with nothing on it except the embroidery files I had already sucessfully used.
Cas

Sent: Monday, December 08, 2014 11:55 AM
Subject: [janome12000] Flashdrive with Error Messages

Jim says:
You may be able to recover the data. There are lots of resources available. Just Google "repair flash drive" and you'll have plenty to pick from. I kind of doubt that the 15000 destroyed it, but it might have. I would definitely NOT recommend storing photos on the same flash drive used for embroidery. They are cheap enough that you should have a drive just for use in the machine.

Virginia

Actualy Cas it depends on the flash drive.  I have some that allow you to use eject and some that do not.  I find the SanDisk does not.  I am running Windows 7.

Virginia

-----Original Message-----
To: janome12000
Sent: Mon, Dec 8, 2014 5:06 pm
Subject: [janome12000] Flashdrive with Error Messages

Thanks Jim, I was hoping I could save the data.  When I had XP I would click to eject the drive and it would tell me when it was safe and the lights would go off on the drive.  Only then would I remove it.

I’ve noticed with Win 7 the lights never go out (hubby says the same with his Win 8 laptop) even though I do get the message that it is safe to remove the drive.  So perhaps it was not really safe and I ruined the drive?  Can you think of anyway I could repair the syntax and retrieve any of those files?  Precious photos and all....  I know I should have backed up more often, but I used to back up to my laptop and recently upgraded that to Win 7 also and had not done it.

This brings up another issue I forgot to mention.  My Janome 15000 that is being replaced would never “see” the flash drive although I tried three different ones.  I thought it was because of the USB splitter so I bought a USB extension cable and it still wouldn’t see it.  So I tried plugging it in directly in both ports.  It would not read the USB.  I’m guessing now that is because my machine was messed up.  Again, this was after the upgrade.  Prior to that I downloaded a design from my PC that I edited in Horizon Link to a USB drive and plugged it in and used it in the Janome. 

This was when my 15K was still sitting on the kitchen counter and I was not sewing with it, just using the embroidery functions.

Cas

Jim says:

cas@...

Does the light go off on your drive when it says it is safe to eject on the ones that do work?  It doesn’t go off on any of mine.
Cas

Jim, whose light has been off for a while now, says:
You can't really use the light as a guide. Some will stay on as long as there is power. The "Safe to remove" message is the only guide you can trust.

Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2014 7:37 AM
Subject: Re: [janome12000] Flashdrive with Error Messages

Actualy Cas it depends on the flash drive.  I have some that allow you to use eject and some that do not.  I find the SanDisk does not.  I am running Windows 7.

Virginia

Virginia

Cas I never noticed I guess I will have to check and see.  

Virginia

-----Original Message-----
To: janome12000
Sent: Tue, Dec 9, 2014 11:37 am

Does the light go off on your drive when it says it is safe to eject on the ones that do work?  It doesn’t go off on any of mine.
Cas

Jim, whose light has been off for a while now, says:
You can't really use the light as a guide. Some will stay on as long as there is power. The "Safe to remove" message is the only guide you can trust.

Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2014 7:37 AM

Actualy Cas it depends on the flash drive.  I have some that allow you to use eject and some that do not.  I find the SanDisk does not.  I am running Windows 7.

Virginia