Metallic thread shredding/breaking - Help

juliadlf1 <no_reply@...>

What am I doing wrong? I was using metallic thread on a FSL design on the MC12000 but the thread kept shredding and breaking. I did use a embroidery metallic needle on Vilene WSS. I used embroidery poly in the bobbin to match the metallic. I had the speed set down to 500 and the spool is on the spool holder on the back of the machine. The thread is BFC so not sure if it makes a difference.

Julia

NY-MC12000

Trying not to break the conversation thread, Jim says:

Everything sounds right except the spool holder. When metallic thread is fed vertically off the top of the spool it tends to twist and knot up at the eye of the needle. Ideally you would want it to roll off the side of the spool horizontally. If you put the extra spool pin through the round tray and then into the hole on top of your machine, you may have better luck. Put the spool felt under the spool as well.

JoAnn Novak

 I have some metallic thread from BFC and have no problems.
 Slow your machine done more to see if that helps.
 JoAnn

[...]

Linda M <linlefmul@...>

I use a size 14 needle (not even a metallic one), I wind my bobbins with metallic thread (the same colour) for FSL and leave the bobbins relax overnight...I have my machine set to 80% of the top speed and it works great for me.

Linda M.
Canada

--
Linda M.

juliadlf1 <no_reply@...>

Jim: The problem with putting the spool on the  horizontal holder is the bottom of the thread spool is not slim to fit on it correctly. It has the wide bottom like most manufacturers produce now for embroidery thread instead of the small spools.
I'll have to go and see if I can find a horizontal holder for the top that can accommodate the larger spool bottoms. Not sure if Janome even produces something like that but will take a look.

Thanks for the help.
Julia
NY-MC12000

---In janome12000@..., <vinjosew@...> wrote :

[...]

blue_lak <no_reply@...>

Jim, I don't quite understand what you mean by "extra spool pin through the round tray"? If I put the spool pin in the hole on top of the machine, then the spool is horizontal. And do you mean to put the felt onto the pin before the thread spool, or something else?
thanks
Jan in MD - MC12000

Answering from a horizontal position, Jim says:
The extra spool pin on the 12000 is completely different from that on the 15000. As you noted, it's horizontal and will not be any better for feeding metallic than the optional vertical stand on the back of the machine. The 15000 has a pin that goes into the machine vertically and comes with a tray that goes under the pin.

For the 12000 a good substitute would be a 3rd party vertical spool stand with a long "antenna" that the thread can go through. Taking metallic thread over a large distance tends to mitigate the knotting problem and will help with breakage.

Anne Parker <annegparker@...>

Julia

What you need is the Superior Thread Stand.  I find it wonderful as it enables you to feed the thread off from the top for crosswound or from the side for straight wound - I bought it from Barnyarns in UK for £20.95 which is quite expensive but worth every penny and you should be able to find it easily in US.  I use it all the time on my vintage machines that only have vertical pins and on my modern machines that have the major pin horizontal.

I find the vertical pin on both my Elna Diva and the 15000k fiddly to actually put on the machine - it's much easier to use the Superior one.

You can see it here -  http://www.barnyarns.co.uk/superior-thread-stand-cones-reels.html and there is a link to some videos showing it in use.

What I really like about it is the top thread guide is adjustable and I can even place that over my horizontal spool pin to feed it to the first thread guide on my machines so the thread is coming from the 'normal' place - I have a photo here on my blog showing what I mean on my Elna Diva - http://sewingtales.wordpress.com/useful-tools/ - you'll need to look a bit down the page.

You can place it where ever you want - back, side or front of your machine - which ever suits.

Anne
www.sewingtales.wordpress.com

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.  "Desiderata" Max Ehrmann

On 26 November 2014 at 13:40, juliadlf1 <no_reply@...> wrote:

[...]

Pat Bryant

I find that the farther my metallic thread is from my machine, the better it sews!  I have good luck with any brand doing this.  The ladies used to laugh at me when I had my store, up until they watched me sew Sulky thread at full speed.

Pat
SewAmused@...

In a message dated 11/26/2014 1:05:28 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, janome12000@... writes:

What am I doing wrong? I was using metallic thread on a FSL design on the MC12000 but the thread kept shredding and breaking. I did use a embroidery metallic needle on Vilene WSS. I used embroidery poly in the bobbin to match the metallic. I had the speed set down to 500 and the spool is on the spool holder on the back of the machine. The thread is BFC so not sure if it makes a difference.

Julia

dbosio <dbosio@...>

I really have not had a problem with metalic thread breaking or shredding on my 12000 or my new 15000.  I have used Madeira and Floriani metalic threads on an external thread stand placed near the macine to the left side of the machine.  I did the whole Golden Tapistry by AnitaGoodesign with metalic Madeira thread without a problem.  But, I recently took a Floriani class in which the teacher stated we should turn the spool of metalic thread upside down on a vertical spool thread holder, off the machine, to stop the thread from breaking or shredding.   It takes the kinks out of the thread as it comes off the spool.   I have not tried it yet, but I have heard from a friend that it works. Delores

Sent from Samsung tablet

Sarah A. Smith <sarahannsmith@...>

Superior Threads makes an OUTSTANDING thread stand/holder that gives you lots of options. It costs a bit under $30, and I can highly recommend it: because you can adapt it so the thread feeds in precisely the direction you want/need. Be sure to look at the alternate photos in the following link:

http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/product/superior-thread-holder/

I use Superior Threads in my class kits, but am not affiliated with them, just a happy customer!

Cheers, Sarah

Check out my DVD: Art Quilt Design: From Photo to Threadwork
Author of bestseller ThreadWork Unraveled
website and blog: http://www.sarahannsmith.com/weblog
e-mail: sarah@...

juliadlf1 <no_reply@...>

Thank you all for the replies.

 I have a 2 spool thread stand attached to back of my 12000 but it only has the vertical pins with a tall threading tower which the thread goes through before being threaded through the thread guide on top of the machine and then gets threaded into the machine.  Since the bottoms of  the metallic thread spools are wide I can't use the horizontal spool pin that comes with the machine. I do notice looping of the thread when it comes off the vertical spool.

I will try turning the spool upside down and see if that helps but was looking for a horizontal pin holder which I could attach to the spool stand on the back of the machine and would accommodate a larger bottom spool. Hope this makes sense and I do appreciate everyones feedback.

Julia
NY-MC12000

Anne Parker <annegparker@...>

Julia

If the metallic thread is on a reel (not crosswound) then you need a vertical spool pin where the thread comes off the side or a horizontal spool pin that goes across the width of the machine so again the thread will come off the side - not in line with the machine like the horizontal one that is in the machine as that would mean the thread was coming over the top of the thread and put a twist on it.  I haven't actually seen a horizontal holder that goes across the width of the machine.

However I swear by the Superior threads holder which you can set in any direction you like - horizontal, vertical, with thread reeling off the side, or coming off the top, so it handles any thread brilliantly - I've used it for all sorts of threads including no name embroidery threads and it just works.

With your current stand you could try tapeing a paperclip to somewhere low down on your machine (or something else - even the handle of a weighted coffe mug I guess) so it's at the same height as the middle of your thread spool, feed your thread through that so it is feeding off the side and then take it through the guide at the top of your spool stand and then to the machine.  This is effectively the way the Superior thread holder would route the thread.  Hope that makes sense.

I (and many others) have used the paper clip method on older machines with success for crosswound threads as they don't have horizontal spool holders.

Anne
​ in Stubbington, UK​

On 30 November 2014 at 22:40, juliadlf1 <no_reply@...> wrote:

Thank you all for the replies.

 I have a 2 spool thread stand attached to back of my 12000 but it only has the vertical pins with a tall threading tower which the thread goes through before being threaded through the thread guide on top of the machine and then gets threaded into the machine.  Since the bottoms of  the metallic thread spools are wide I can't use the horizontal spool pin that comes with the machine. I do notice looping of the thread when it comes off the vertical spool.

I will try turning the spool upside down and see if that helps but was looking for a horizontal pin holder which I could attach to the spool stand on the back of the machine and would accommodate a larger bottom spool. Hope this makes sense and I do appreciate everyones feedback.

Julia
NY-MC12000

Jane Dunne

Hi,
I just wondered about the thread stand that I purchased for my 1500 ? My metallic thread shredded terribly when I used it and it attaches to the machine. I have several different brands of metallics and they all shred! Yes I am using a Schmetz chrome metallic needle and out of desperation have tried the top stitch needle with the larger hole. All my needles are Schmetz.
If I need the one from Superior threads than I will certainly purchase it and thank you.
I paid $13.99 for one small spool of mother of pearl like colour for snowmen(I love them) and purchased three of these spools and they are all shredding! I lost a beautiful piece of 9 1/2 x 9 1/2 inch gold cotton that was to be the centre of my table runner because the thread shredded so badly I could not pick it out. It was snow on branches with two cardinals on it.
Boy was I ticked!!! If this thread stand will help I would purchase it. I have been embroidering for 12+years so should by now know how to use metallics however I guess not!😊
Thanks
Jane

Sent from my iPad

Linda M <linlefmul@...>

I use a size 14 Organ brand needle (this is the brand that comes on all Janomes that are delivered in Canada).  I don't even use a metallic needle (no reason to)  and I have no problems.  My favorite brand of thread is Marathan Embroidery threads and I purchase them in Canada at their Canadian distributor, they're metallics are easy to work with.

Linda M.
Canada

On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 6:35 AM, Jane Dunne mikeandjane@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

[...]

Claire Schutz

Hope you slowed down the speed,  Claire S.

On 12/1/2014 6:35 AM, Jane Dunne mikeandjane@... [janome12000] wrote:

[...]

HEATHER COWAN

Hi Jane... Have you tried one of those mesh spool covers.  I find they keep the thread from coiling around and deliver it un kinked to the needle.     I find as I get to the end of a spool where it's is wound tighter that the thread is very kinky and unmanageable ..... So I rewind it slow speed onto a bobbin and then put the bobbin on the horizontal spool pin on the machine and that helps with the kinkies.
Heather

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 1, 2014, at 6:09 AM, Jane Dunne mikeandjane@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi everyone,
Thanks for all your wonderful suggestions as I do appreciate them very much! I find the older I get the more I tend to forget things lol. I forgot about the nets for the spools, forgot about turning down my speed!! Why would I do that? I want to be done quickly lol! Duh! This is on me of course! Yes I will slow the speed down and use the net AND write myself a note to always do that roflol!
Now I had best go and clean up the mess my DH made while he was helping me quilt actually holding the quilt lol while I was quilting. He moved it (it is king size) the wrong way and knocked down 100 mini kings of embroidery thread all over the place. He looked at me and said what caused that to happen!! All I could do was laugh! He said he would clean it up but that was Sunday and what day is today?? Unhuh my point exactly.
Again thanks as I always need reminding!Have a great week my friends.

Hugs,
Jane

Sent from my iPad