4"x4" hoop for the 15000

Kay Allen

Hi Jim,
Any ideas on how we can get a 4x4 hoop for the 15000? It sure would come in handy and save LOTS OF stabilizer and materials.
Thanks,
Kay 
Proud CASA Volunteer

Fighting off a feeling of deja vu, Jim says:
You would get that the same way you got the RE18 hoop. Spend the next 2 years begging Janome to do it! Given that we already have a hoop just one inch bigger, I don't expect they'll listen, but if you want it bad enough go for it!

Virginia

Kay your SQ14 hoop is a 5 1/2 x 51/2  sewing area
would that not do as a 4x4.  Remember when a hoop quotes its size the size of the hoop is larger than the sewing area of you hoop. So what you are asking for is to fit a design in a smaller than 4x4 sewing area.

Virginia

-----Original Message-----
To: janome12000
Sent: Wed, Oct 8, 2014 2:09 pm
Subject: [janome12000] 4"x4" hoop for the 15000

Hi Jim,
Any ideas on how we can get a 4x4 hoop for the 15000? It sure would come in handy and save LOTS OF stabilizer and materials.
Thanks,
Kay 
Proud CASA Volunteer

Fighting off a feeling of deja vu, Jim says:
You would get that the same way you got the RE18 hoop. Spend the next 2 years begging Janome to do it! Given that we already have a hoop just one inch bigger, I don't expect they'll listen, but if you want it bad enough go for it!

shejmartin1

The thing is the way they designed the 5.5 x 5.5 hoop you waste a lot of stabilizer.  I've given up hoping for a 4x4 though.  Just don't think it will happen when we already have a smaller hoop; it was just engineered kind of wacky.

Sherry

Kay Allen

The 5x7 is quite large for baby onesies and other baby clothes. Since they make a 4x4 for some of the other models it seems they would automatically make one for the 15000. It’s the perfect size for small items.
Kay 
713-816-3411
Proud CASA Volunteer

bdake@sbcglobal.net

Is it possible to use your stabilizer once in the larger hoop. Then after you carefully tear away or cut away your onsie use a fusible stabilizer over the hole and reuse? Just thinking.

Jeannie Dake

JoAnn Novak

I have complained to my dealer about the hoops, saying the same thing.
  This is my first Janome machine.  I love the machine but the hoops are very
  wasteful for fabric and stabilizer.
  JoAnn
Life's biggest decision is what you do with Jesus.

The thing is the way they designed the 5.5 x 5.5 hoop you waste a lot of stabilizer.  I've given up hoping for a 4x4 though.  Just don't think it will happen when we already have a smaller hoop; it was just engineered kind of wacky.

Sherry

Patricia Ward

Weighing in on this discussion: I personally like the 5 inch hoop on the 15000. So many of the so called 4x4 designs were a tight fit on a hoop of that size and I worried about the needle striking the edge.   IMHO I would rather use extra stabilizer then have a strike against the hoop and cause machine damage resulting in a repair bill.

Pat

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 7:43 PM, shejmartin1@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

The thing is the way they designed the 5.5 x 5.5 hoop you waste a lot of stabilizer.  I've given up hoping for a 4x4 though.  Just don't think it will happen when we already have a smaller hoop; it was just engineered kind of wacky.

Sherry

vicki chrobak

Jeannie, it is absolutely possible! Use UHU glue stick to apply & iron
dry. You can make a frame for all your hoops from muslin or light
weight canvas to conserve stabilizer. I put a .pdf in the files section
& there are also photos in Vicki Jo's Sewing Room. Sorry they are not
in order but hopefully you will get the idea. A wonderful person named
Lotta on Viking Gems list gave me permission to adapt for our hoops &
share. She is a dynamo when it comes to problem-solving.

Diane also came up with a somewhat similar method using duct tape. Not
sure if it is in the files or not.
Vicki Jo

On 10/9/2014 7:56 AM, Jeannie Dake bdake@sbcglobal.net [janome12000] wrote:
Is it possible to use your stabilizer once in the larger hoop. Then after you carefully tear away or cut away your onsie use a fusible stabilizer over the hole and reuse? Just thinking.

Jeannie Dake

Anne Parker <annegparker@...>

I'm just wondering about this stabilizier issue - but bare in mind I haven't done any embroidery yet.

Would it be possible to have a permanent piece of stabilizer (or other thin fabric) you reuse for the hoop with a hole in the middle over which you baste the stablizier you want to use in your embroidery design - or would this mean you would not get enough tension in the hoop.

Has anyone ever tried it?

Just a thought anyway.

Anne
​ in Stubbington, UK​

www.sewingtales.wordpress.com

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.  "Desiderata" Max Ehrmann

On 9 October 2014 15:17, Patricia Ward ward.pm@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

Weighing in on this discussion: I personally like the 5 inch hoop on the 15000. So many of the so called 4x4 designs were a tight fit on a hoop of that size and I worried about the needle striking the edge.   IMHO I would rather use extra stabilizer then have a strike against the hoop and cause machine damage resulting in a repair bill.

Pat

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 7:43 PM, shejmartin1@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

The thing is the way they designed the 5.5 x 5.5 hoop you waste a lot of stabilizer.  I've given up hoping for a 4x4 though.  Just don't think it will happen when we already have a smaller hoop; it was just engineered kind of wacky.

Sherry

Pam Davison

Yes, I do that all the time.  I use a piece of sticky back stabilizer and cut a hole out leaving about a 1 inch trim of the sticky back then you just cut the stabilizer that you want to use to size and lay it on the sticky back.

I baste around the design to hold everything in place.

Sent from Windows Mail

Sent: ‎Thursday‎, ‎October‎ ‎09‎, ‎2014 ‎9‎:‎47‎ ‎AM
To: mdaniel@... [janome12000]

Jeannie Dake

Kay Allen

My 15000 came with a 5 ½" x 5 ½" and then they made a 5 x 7. It seems to me that a 4 x 4 would have been a much better choice.

Kay Allen
Sent from my iPhone

Patricia Ward

If you cut your stabilizer in long strips... say you are cutting it for the 5 x 5 hoop and cut the width and then a long strip, you would be surprised how you can save stabilizer and get more from one strip then block pieces.  Also if your design can be manipulated in the hoop so to raise it a little you get an extra inch of stabilizer if you are really worried about how much you use.

Just an economical idea that I have used...

Pat

On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 9:00 AM, JoAnn Novak vinjosew@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

I have complained to my dealer about the hoops, saying the same thing.
  This is my first Janome machine.  I love the machine but the hoops are very
  wasteful for fabric and stabilizer.
  JoAnn

Sherry

vicki chrobak

Anne, That is pretty much what I mentioned in my previous e-mail.  Use your plastic grid to mark the hole in the middle & X & Y Axis.  Zig-Zag well around edge of hole, & especially mark l where TOP is.  Then use your UHU glue to iron smaller piece of stabilizer to the permanent "stabilizer".  Baste in the hoop before embroidering.  I sometimes iron a stabilizer piece to both top & bottom of the permanent stabilizer if it will be a dense design.
Vicki Jo

On 10/9/2014 10:25 AM, Anne Parker annegparker@... [janome12000] wrote:

I'm just wondering about this stabilizier issue - but bare in mind I haven't done any embroidery yet.

Would it be possible to have a permanent piece of stabilizer (or other thin fabric) you reuse for the hoop with a hole in the middle over which you baste the stablizier you want to use in your embroidery design - or would this mean you would not get enough tension in the hoop.

Just a thought anyway.

Anne
​ in Stubbington, UK​

ceilsews <no_reply@...>

Anne,
I made a fabric insert for the SQ23 hoop,and it worked just fine.  I basted the stabilizer to it with no problem.  I haven't used it since buying the RE18 but maybe I'll make one to fit the RE 18 or the SQ14 to make a 4 by 4 space.  Basting and removing the thread was easy as I used my Juki which has a 6mm stitch length.  (I don't understand why the Janome machine can't do that!)  But isn't it both somewhat sad and funny that we always want more, more, more?  That's what keeps our economy going, I guess.
Ceil

---In janome12000@..., <annegparker@...> wrote :

Just a thought anyway.

Anne
​ in Stubbington, UK​

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.  "Desiderata" Max Ehrmann

On 9 October 2014 15:17, Patricia Ward ward.pm@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

Pat

Sherry

Kay Allen

I cut a square out of the center and use a glue stick to attach additional layers of stabilizer for embroidery. It is quite labor intensive and time consuming. I'm retired and now  I make items for craft shows as a ‘part time’ job and would really appreciate a more efficient way of doing things. The 4” x 4” hoop is not a new concept for Janome. I just wish they would make it for the 15000.
Kay 
713-816-3411
Proud CASA Volunteer

Kaye Lessard

The machine comes with the small free arm hoop that works really well for onzies and small items!!!kaye in la

Sent from my iPhone

My-Stitches

There are various ways to do it other than cutting a large square and throwing away quite a bit.  I use sticky stabilizer most often and what I like to do is, after I (carefully) tear out the first embroidery is just to stick a smaller piece over the hole I just made.  This will work several times, usually.  It also works to cut a long strip and just work your way down it as you go.  And you can make a "frame" to hoop, that is hooped but then almost the whole hoop area inside is a hole for your sticky stabilizer. I've done this, too, with heavy clear plastic.  And this would be a place where the 5 inch hoop would be good for 4 inch designs because you'd have that much left inside your clear plastic (or whatever) that  you hooped.

Mary

Would it be possible to have a permanent piece of stabilizer (or other thin
fabric) you reuse for the hoop with a hole in the middle over which you
baste the stablizier you want to use in your embroidery design - or would
this mean you would not get enough tension in the hoop.

JoAnn Novak

I agree with you Kay.
 I told my dealer.  He talked with the company.  So hopefully if we all continue
 to complain about this we will get one.

JoAnn

I cut a square out of the center and use a glue stick to attach additional layers of stabilizer for embroidery. It is quite labor intensive and time consuming. I'm retired and now  I make items for craft shows as a ‘part time’ job and would really appreciate a more efficient way of doing things. The 4” x 4” hoop is not a new concept for Janome. I just wish they would make it for the 15000.

Kay 
713-816-3411
Proud CASA Volunteer

jerles5

I have thought about buying a small, freearm hoop for the preemie onsies I do alot of. It's there a video or pictures some where on how this is done? I don't have the 1200 or 1500 but a Janome machine. 
Thanks, 
Brenda <><

The Lord is my strength and my song! 

Brenda <><

Anne Parker <annegparker@...>

Ceil

Good to know that it's possible.

My Elna Diva has what I call a true basting stitch - it can be set to 7, 13 or 20mm and is achieved by uncoupling the needlebar (automatically on stitch selection) and makes a stitch every 4th fabric feed.  I would probably use this to baste the stablizer provided that it attached strongly enough to the permanent fabric for the hoop.

Ordered my 15000 V2 today, but have to wait around 6 weeks for it so can't try it yet!

Anne
​ in Stubbington, UK​

On 9 October 2014 22:07, ceilsews <no_reply@...> wrote:

Anne,
I made a fabric insert for the SQ23 hoop,and it worked just fine.  I basted the stabilizer to it with no problem.  I haven't used it since buying the RE18 but maybe I'll make one to fit the RE 18 or the SQ14 to make a 4 by 4 space.  Basting and removing the thread was easy as I used my Juki which has a 6mm stitch length.  (I don't understand why the Janome machine can't do that!)  But isn't it both somewhat sad and funny that we always want more, more, more?  That's what keeps our economy going, I guess.
Ceil