Buttonhole Woes

Jane Dunne

Hi you could also try looking on the internet or on Amazon for that foot R I think you said.
I have found many feet there Janome and they work wonderfully well.

Good luck
Jane

Sent from Windows Mail

My-Stitches

Actually, I kind of have it in mind to get a 15000 when things calm down from getting used to being a heart patient this past year.  But now my dealer seems to have fallen in love with the new Brother and doesn't even have one for me to look at!

Meanwhile, I'm more than willing to buy the other R foot, which I think I would need to go with the stabilizer plate.  I would say 3/4 of the clothes I make need buttonholes so this is very frustrating!

I don't quite understand what part of foot R would be hollowed out for the sensor plate, but taking the R foot from the 11000 and comparing to the one on  my 6500 (not being able to find the one for the 10000 at the moment) they are identical, so I am assuming both are the old style and I would need to get the new R foot as well?

Mary

Despite being an old style, Jim says:
The foot from the 11000 should be the new style with the hollow space where it snaps onto the stabilizer plate. I don't remember seeing any of the old style with that machine. If you flip the foot over and you see a space on the bottom that is hollowed out, that's the one you need. The old style is solid on top and bottom.

Karen Cone

I tried making buttonholes on a fleece jacket.  Using my Janome 15000, the automatic sensor buttonhole #2, first it stitched the left side, did a tack and started down the right.  When it went down with the straight stitch it went 1/8 inch below where it should have stopped.  Then it went up the right side and stopped 1/8 inch from the top.  The very first buttonhole came out perfect. Seems the memory isn't quite right.  This also happens on my Janome 10000.  I did use the stabilizer plate.  Frustrated!  Now I will make each one without going automatic.

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 15, 2014, at 11:28 PM, "Mary My-Stitches@... [janome12000]" <janome12000@...> wrote:

I have liked the sound of that stabilizer plate.  But can I get that (and perhaps the associated buttonhole foot) and have it fit the 11000. Or am I going to have to buy the 15000 just to make buttonholes?  I hear what you are saying about fabric but I make a LOT of wool shirts for DH and this particular one is a lovely Pendleton or fine English woolen. Not that thick, smooth, very nice fabric. I would expect it all to be perfect. And I've had the same troubles with cotton broadcloth and such.

Mary

Killing a 15000 sale, Jim says:
While I would never discourage anyone from owning a 15000, you can save a few dollars by just buying the stabilizer plate itself. The part number is 200428004. It's made to work with buttonhole foot R that has a hollowed out place on the bottom of the side that the sensor lowers into. If your R foot is solid there you will also need to replace that. You might also need to put a piece of water soluble stabilizer on top. That can keep the stitches of the buttonhole from sinking into the fabric.

HEATHER COWAN

A bit out in left field here but  ..... I do all my buttonholes in the hoop.  I can arrange the placement perfectly, stitch them out without any concern over if the buttonhole foot will hang up on those thick seams around neck facings, and it doesn't matter if the fabric is sheer or bulky ..... even works on velour and leather ......  I make/choose the size buttonhole I want and then use the machine software to place them evenly in the hoop.  I hoop tearaway stabilizer, put the garment on top of the stabilizer ... not hooped .... run the baste stitch to secure the garment to the stabilizer [note ... don't run a baste line on leather or velvet ... it marks the fabric] .... and then stitch out the buttonholes.  If the garment needs a line of buttons longer than my hoop I just remove the garment from the stabilizer and repeat the process ...... very easy and very nice consistent buttonholes.  There are lots of buttonhole designs on the internet and many are free.  If you have a Pfaff as a back up machine they let you save your buttonholes as an embroidery design so you can do that.

 I just wish Janome allowed us to bring the buttonholes into the hoop from the stitch module.  ..... anyone at Janome want to tackle that little software update ......  Being able to bring stitches into the hoop is also a big bonus ..... especially for those of us who do heritage designs.

hugs

heather

[...]

My problem is not on the 12000 or 15000, so I apologize for writing here but no one in the 11000 group seems to have had this problem to advise me. What's happening is that the wonderful, dependable, perfect Janome buttonholes I have been loving for the past 12-13 years suddenly are no longer dependable. It may make a buttonhole or it may not. Or it may make half a dozen and then go flaky on me. What happens when it goes flaky is that it will satin stitch about 5/8 of an inch (usually up the first side but not always) and then it stops and stitches a big glob in place. It seems like it's more likely to do this if the machine has been on for some hours but again, this is not a necessary condition. I made DH a wool shirt last winter and it took me weeks of cursing and ripping out to get all but one buttonhole done. I would make a sample or two, then with luck it would do 2-3 good buttonholes and then a bad one to rip out. I'm at something of a loss to understand this as I am not a novice buttonhole maker! And the truly weird thing is, my 10000 and my 6500 are flaky in just the same way. This I really do not understand. In desperation I even read the manual, thinking I forgot something. I hadn't. Any ideas? I'm almost wondering if some sensor or chip has gone peculiar from the passage of time. I've had my 11000 since about a year after it came out, the 10000 since 2001, and the 6500 I got when they came out. All go in for regular service. TIA for any help. Mary

Stunned by a blizzard of buttonhole problems, Jim says:
The fact that you are getting the same results on three different machines proves it's not a sensor issue. Depending on the thickness of the fabric, the R buttonhole foot can have a lot of difficulty staying consistent. That's where the buttonhole stabilizer plate comes in. It allows the foot to work properly no matter what the fabric is.