Topics

1/4 inch foot

Kay Davis

Hi, I'm new to the group and am learning a lot.  I already attempted to send this so if it repeats itself, I apologize.  I read on a review of the 12000 that the 1/4 inch foot didn't give an accurate, full not scant, 1/4 inch seam.  This review was written in 2010 or 2011.  Has this been corrected?  I ordered a 12000 and should get it in a week or so.  Also, if the foot that comes with the machine doesn't give the accurate 1/4 inch seam, what is the group's opinion on the clear guide foot kit - the one that has the 1/4 inch, 1/8 inch and stitch in the ditch guide?  TIA, Kay

ceilsews <no_reply@...>

Kay,
I asked a similar question

Does anyone have a "favorite" stitch setting for the scant 1/4 inch?

and unfortunately don't know how to link to the answers.  But if you search for that topic (where it says "search conversations" above, you should see a lot of answers.  I have the 15000 but I think the answers apply to the 12000 as well.

Ceil

ceilsews <no_reply@...>

Kay,
Oh, forgot to add, when reading the clear guide foot description it says, "
Attach and remove the guides as needed to suit your task at hand- gives you three feet in one- 1/4 Inch Foot, Ditch Quilting and Clear foot.Markings indicate 1/8 inch and 1/4 inch from center needle drop position with handy cornering markings for both 1/8 and 1/4 inch seams.Oval-shaped needle hole allows needle adjustment for scant 1/4 inch piecing (computer models only)."

From what they're saying about the oval-shaped needle hole allowing for needle adjustment to get a scant 1/4 inch, I would deduce that it gives a true 1/4 inch and you can then set up your machine to get the scant 1/4.  You can save the settings so that shouldn't be a problem.  I don't have that foot (yet).  :)
Ceil

Patricia Ward

Hello Kay,
First let me say that there are many variables in piecing and making that 1/4 inch seam.  It can depend on whether or not you are using polyester thread or cotton thread and what types of fabric you are using. I find I get the best accurate results with a 50 wt cotton and I love the Superior Thread.

As to the feet.. when you get your machine put on the O foot and find the patchwork setting in the 12000 set screen and then try sewing a seam.. measure it. If you are not happy with it, move your needle.

I think there are some people who forget that we have the option of moving the needle.

The clear plastic foot kit that you are talking about is my favorite foot and I purchased it for my 12000 the day I brought it home because I had used it on my 11000 and loved it.  So yes, I would really recommend that foot and it allows you to move your needle a lot and you can then get your scant 1/4 inch or a regular 1/4 whatever your pattern calls for.

HTH
Pat

On Sun, Aug 3, 2014 at 10:48 AM, Kay Davis kaquilt@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

Hi, I'm new to the group and am learning a lot.  I already attempted to send this so if it repeats itself, I apologize.  I read on a review of the 12000 that the 1/4 inch foot didn't give an accurate, full not scant, 1/4 inch seam.  This review was written in 2010 or 2011.  Has this been corrected?  I ordered a 12000 and should get it in a week or so.  Also, if the foot that comes with the machine doesn't give the accurate 1/4 inch seam, what is the group's opinion on the clear guide foot kit - the one that has the 1/4 inch, 1/8 inch and stitch in the ditch guide?  TIA, Kay

Becky Petersen

If the foot doesn't give an accurate seam, adjust your needle til it does.

Becky