Topics

1/4 inch piecing foot

Kay Davis

Hi, I'm new to the group and enjoying it very much.  I've ordered a 12000 and it will be arriving in a week or so.  I've read about trouble piecing an accurate 1/4 inch with the included 1/4 inch foot.  This post (not on this group) indicated being unable to get an accurate 1/4 inch seam with the foot.  However, it was written in 2011 or thereabouts.  Has this problem been corrected with the foot now included in the new 12000s?  TIA, Kay

shejmartin1

I think everyone is different so you have to futz around to get what works for you.  I like the clear view 1/4 in foot (combo 1/4"/stitch in ditch) and I move the needle to 8.6 or even 8.7 if there are a lot of seams in a block. I like to put my fabric right up next to the guide, so that is what works for me.  I have saved the setting as my #4 stitch; so I can just turn the machine on and press the #4 stitch to do 1/4" patchwork.

It really makes a big difference depending on how many seams your block has and whether you are pressing to the side or flat.  Also the thickness of the thread you use can make a little bit of a difference.  If I am working on a block with many seams, I do a test block 1st, and adjust if necessary.  This is something you would have to do on any machine not just the 12000.

Sherry
Chicago

Kay Davis

Thanks for the info.  I was happy with the 1/4" foot on my 11000.  Never had to adjust it; it just worked for me.  But with the things I read about the 1/4" foot that comes with the 12000, I am concerned.  I'll probably just get the clearview foot combo as I want the stitch in the ditch foot too.  Kay

On Sun, Aug 3, 2014 at 11:49 AM, shejmartin1@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

[...]

J Fraker

I've had that problem.  You need a scant quarter inch for quilt piecing.  I moved the needle position all the way to the right.  There's still a bit of a problem because the little guide on the foot has some give to it.  I have a seam gauge called the Top Seam Guide by Dot Young.  It attaches to the bed of the machine with a screw and I butt it up against the guide on the foot.  I get perfect scant quarter inch seams that way every time.