Topics

basting design for GR hoop

Barb Stone

I have a basting design for the SQ hoop but am unable to find one for the GR hoop.  Does anyone have a source for this?

Barbara Stone

Basting himself with suntan lotion, Jim says:
You don't like the baste function built into the machine?

Bea Rosier <beazoza@...>

It is stored on your machine.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 1, 2014, at 7:50 PM, "Barb Stone st1b@... [janome12000]" <janome12000@...> wrote:

I have a basting design for the SQ hoop but am unable to find one for the GR hoop.  Does anyone have a source for this?

Barbara Stone

Basting himself with suntan lotion, Jim says:
You don't like the baste function built into the machine?

Bettina Santos

Barb, check your book there is a built ione I only found at the weekend

On Wednesday, 2 July 2014 10:50 AM, "Barb Stone st1b@... [janome12000]" wrote:

I have a basting design for the SQ hoop but am unable to find one for the GR hoop.  Does anyone have a source for this?

Barbara Stone

Basting himself with suntan lotion, Jim says:
You don't like the baste function built into the machine?

Virginia

All 12,000 have a basting design.  It is built into your machine. Page 113 in your manual explains your trace and baste function.  It is a fantastic function.  Hope this helps.

Virginia

On Wednesday, 2 July 2014 10:50 AM, "Barb Stone st1b@... [janome12000]" <janome12000@...> wrote:

I have a basting design for the SQ hoop but am unable to find one for the GR hoop.  Does anyone have a source for this?

Barbara Stone

Basting himself with suntan lotion, Jim says:
You don't like the baste function built into the machine?

juliadlf.ny@...

I found it the other day on the machine BUT for what it is worth, the basting stitch is too loose. Could have been the needle,material or just my dumb luck with the GR hoop.

Julia
NY-MC12000

Virginia

The basting stitch is a 5mm stitch which is a good size for basting.  I find if I bring my bobbin thread up first and hold it which it bastes the stitches stay in.  You would not want it any tighter because it would be like stitching and you would be able to tell it was there after you take it out.  Also it could be your thread.

Virginia

I found it the other day on the machine BUT for what it is worth, the basting stitch is too loose. Could have been the needle,material or just my dumb luck with the GR hoop.

Julia
NY-MC12000

Barb Stone

I have the 15000 and haven't yet had any lessons.  When I look in the manual for basting, pp. 84, it's not for embroidery.

ceilsews <no_reply@...>

I can't tell from this thread if your question has been answered but if you want to baste around your embroidery design  check page 120.  The top screen shows #3, the Trace Key, which is the basting you would use for embroidery.

---In janome12000@..., <st1b@...> wrote :

I have the 15000 and haven't yet had any lessons.  When I look in the manual for basting, pp. 84, it's not for embroidery.

Mary Ann

In my manual the reference to the trace key with or without basting  is made on page 113.  Thanks for calling my attention to this feature.

Mary Ann

juliadlf.ny@...

Thanks Virigina. I will try that next time. I have to check the manual but I thought the basting stitch would baste the perimeter of the hoop which you can embroider within. When I used the baste function, it just basted outside the design and not the entire embroidery area. I am probably not using the right function and will go back and do a couple of tests.

Julia
NY-MC12000

Using the Internet's favorite phrase 'Well actually', Jim says:
That's how the built-in baste is supposed to work. It will lay down a basting line 5mm from the edges of the design unless the design is within 5mm of the edge of the stitch area. In that case the basting line will overlap the design. There is no built-in function to baste around the perimeter of the embroidery area. Ideally you want the basting close to the design to minimize movement around the edges.

juliadlf.ny@...

Thank you Jim. I prefer the perimeter basting stitch first when using this monster GR hoop. I guess I'm going to have to find  a way to produce that for me since the 12000 only recognizes the machine built in function. I guess I'm use to having it around the perimeter for securing the fabric more but once I get use to the machine more perhaps I'll be able to let go of the outer basting in time.

Julia
NY-MC12000

sew3emb

Julia, I recently emb a very large design in the hoop and I used the machine basting stitch (for the same reason you want it) , then I did my embroidery design.. Worked great. I should have had wider stabilizer (and will next) but credit the basting for saving me .. Zoe