Topics

Design Images Changed with Artistic Suite Update

Mary Jane Weddle <maryjweddle@...>

Dear Jim or whoever can help with this problem:

I have an issue with software.  When I bought my first embroidery machine several years ago, I purchased the Digitzer MBX and have updated it regularly when new versions have come out.  Later, I purchased the Artistic Suite software.  I remember that when I put the Artistic Suite on the computer, my images of designs were no longer the picture of the design, but the Artistic Suite icon (They look like a big yellow square with a big W on it and across the bottom are the numbers 101010).  I remember that I was able to recover the images by setting something on the computer so that my design images would show as they look.

Last week, there was an update on the Artistic Suite Program.  I updated my computer, and now I have the same problem.  I do not remember what I did a few years ago to recover the images.  Does someone know what I need to do.  It is almost as if the Artistic Suite program wants to dominate how the images appear.

Thanks in advance for the help with this issue.

Showing a big 'J' instead of his picture, Jim says:
Neither the Artistic Suite nor MBX will use an image of a design as the icon for the design file. There are 3rd party programs that do this, such as Embird Iconizer. Others will respond with their favorite such program.

Bea Rosier <beazoza@...>

Mary Jane,

Just position your curser above one of the ‘offending’ icons, RIGHT CLICK, and choose OPEN WITH (choose the right program).  This will change the little icons to the one you want.

Bea

[...]

Carolyn Gazerro <cmgazerro@...>

I use Sew Iconz.

Carolyn
Sent from my iPad

Mary Jane Weddle <maryjweddle@...>

I tried right clicking over the icon and I can click the Open with, but it does not even give me the option to open it with my Digitizer MBX Program.  It only shows the Creative Drawwings and the other Modular program with Artistic Suite.. I sometimes do not want to Open the file, I just want to scroll through them to see which one I may want to use.
If I wanted to open it in Digitize, I can open Digitizer first and then open the file, but I cannot see the image before I click on it.

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 9:29 AM, Carolyn Gazerro cmgazerro@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

I use Sew Iconz.

Carolyn
Sent from my iPad

Carolyn Gazerro <cmgazerro@...>

Sew Iconz by sandscomputing.com lets you see the design icon on the file. I have been using it for many years.

Carolyn
Sent from my iPad

juliadlf.ny@...

I would also recommend S&S Computing SewIconz. They have a free trial and its worth checking out. I will definitely purchase once my trial version is up. One thing I think is important is it uses Windows.

Julia
NY-MC12000

Mary Jane Weddle <maryjweddle@...>

I really do not want to buy anymore software right now.  I know there is a way to get the images back by just adjusting a setting on my computer (I did it a few years ago but don't remember where it is or how to get to it).  There must be something else I can do.

Jim, do you know how to do this.  I think Trevor Concourgood  had someway to do this.

Putting on his tin foil hat, Jim talks about Windows:
The icon that Windows uses for a given file is taken from the program that is registered as the default handler for that file type. Digitizer (all versions) is not made to open files by clicking on the icon. You must open the program first (EasyEdit, EasyDesign, DesignGallery) and then choose the file. MBX uses the icon for EasyEdit as icon for stitch files. To get an actual image of the design you need to have some other program that runs in the background and intercepts calls for icons. What Trevor showed may have been one of those programs, or he may have just opened Design Gallery, which is an easy way to browse your designs.

Mary Jane Weddle <maryjweddle@...>

I have tried to get assistance from Artistic Suite for this problem, but you have to have the date of purchase (which I do not remember) and the model of Quilting machine (I do not have a quilting machine).  Without this information (I don't know this) they won't let you even submit a request for assistance.  How am I supposed to get help with this when I do not have the information they think I need to give them?
I have to say that at this moment, I am not very happy with the Artistic Suite Program.  I wish I have never updated it now.

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 7:10 PM, juliadlf.ny@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

I would also recommend S&S Computing SewIconz. They have a free trial and its worth checking out. I will definitely purchase once my trial version is up. One thing I think is important is it uses Windows.

Julia
NY-MC12000

Bea Rosier <beazoza@...>

Maybe I didn't understand what the problem is.  But when I loaded artistic suite it replaced the Janome yellow and red icons with the creative drawing icons. Apparently it chose all stitch and design files and used its own designated icons. All I did was float the curser over top of the artistic suite icon and right click to choose the program I wanted to use to open those designs. (Digitizer). And my yellow and red icons came back.

Sent from my iPhone

Floating his cursor, Jim says:
Apparently it was us that didn't understand the problem. We all thought you wanted icons that bear the image of the design. In this case you just wanted the Digitizer EasyEdit icons (yellow & red). You've done that and life is good again. You are now fully qualified to be a Windows support expert!

Mary Jane Weddle <maryjweddle@...>

Yes, but when I float the curser over the Artistic Suite icons, it does not show Digitizer as an option for programs to choose.  How do I add that option to the programs I can choose?  I have tried Browsing but don't know how to choose the Digitizer.  When I find it in my list of Programs, there is a folder there full of files, but I don't know which to choose.  Digitizer by itself is not a choice.  Also, it only does it for one design, It would take me forever to do this for each design.

Jim says:
This goes back to the fact that there is no "Open With" function for Digitizer. It is possible to change the icon by editing Registry entries, but that's a very dangerous thing to do. A much easier and safer method would be to download the latest update to the version of Digitizer that you have. Double click to install it. Assuming that it's already installed, you should be offered the option to "Repair" the installation. Choose that. During the repair the icons should be reset to reflect EasyEdit, even though double clicking on them will not open them in Digitizer.

Mary Jane Weddle <maryjweddle@...>

My husband suggested last night that I remove the programs and start new.  Then I remembered that I have installed the Floriani Embroidery Image Maker to view designs a few years ago.  This morning, I un-installed it and then re-installed it to no avail.  I am getting frustrated because nothing I do is making any difference.

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 11:14 PM, Bea Rosier beazoza@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

[...]

Is dsgnedit.exe and option when you choose open with?

Dsgnedit.exe is the Janome digitizer execution file – and it should work.  And it should change all the designs that are .jef or .jan if you choose default on the same menu.

Bea

[...]

Bea, that works if I want to open the design, but I can get it to open through just opening the Digitizer MBX and then opening the file.  But there are times when i just want to look through my designs to determine which one I want to use without opening the MBX Program.  I use to be able to scroll through the designs and look to see how they will look stitched out.  Now I cannot do that and this is what i want to get returned to me.  Any suggestions with that?

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 12:11 PM, 'Bea Rosier' beazoza@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

[...]

I just got it fixed!!!  I went in to my Image Maker and clicked all formats and my images are now back!

Thanks everybody for the assistance!