Sew-What Pro and Embird - Your comments please

juliadlf.ny@...

I have found 2 options which can help me with converting files and resizing designs  for my Janome MC12000. SewWhatPro and Embird Basic. SewWhatPro seems very easy to use but Embird appears to have just the same features or am I missing something? I just don't want to fall into  another software issue and spend $$ for something that won't work for saving files in the hoop sizes for the MC12000.

Pricing of each is different but I'm more interested in just getting some feedback on which one worked best for you, if you purchased either of these. I'm not a commercial seller. Just a home hobbyist.

Thanks

Julia

NY-MC12000

Bea Rosier <beazoza@...>

Didn't you get digitizer MBX when you bought the machine?   You can do both of those things with that.  Very easily.

On Jun 18, 2014, at 4:05 PM, "juliadlf.ny@... [janome12000]" <janome12000@...> wrote:

I have found 2 options which can help me with converting files and resizing designs  for my Janome MC12000. SewWhatPro and Embird Basic. SewWhatPro seems very easy to use but Embird appears to have just the same features or am I missing something? I just don't want to fall into  another software issue and spend $$ for something that won't work for saving files in the hoop sizes for the MC12000.

Pricing of each is different but I'm more interested in just getting some feedback on which one worked best for you, if you purchased either of these. I'm not a commercial seller. Just a home hobbyist.

Thanks

Julia

NY-MC12000

Mary

Buzz Xplore is good for conversion.  Can do group conversions instead of just one at a time.  Good way to keep your files organized too and see what your designs are.  Embird does a lot besides convert.  Have both and use them for different things.  With embird you can get an iconizer that will show pictures of your designs in windows explorer.  Love that.

cnystul in Mn.

I use Embird...its pretty easy to use and does what I want it to do...re-size, convert, etc.

Cathy Nystul

Susan

Julia - I'm unfamiliar with SewWhatPro so can't offer an opinion on it.  But I have used Embird for years and years and love it.  I'm a new 15000 owner and have to customize my hoop sizes as they haven't upgraded the program yet for these new sizes (possibly the same for the 12000).  I wouldn't trade Embird for anything - it does everything I need it to do.
Susan

On 6/18/2014 2:05 PM, juliadlf.ny@... [janome12000] wrote:

I have found 2 options which can help me with converting files and resizing designs  for my Janome MC12000. SewWhatPro and Embird Basic. SewWhatPro seems very easy to use but Embird appears to have just the same features or am I missing something? I just don't want to fall into  another software issue and spend $$ for something that won't work for saving files in the hoop sizes for the MC12000.

Pricing of each is different but I'm more interested in just getting some feedback on which one worked best for you, if you purchased either of these. I'm not a commercial seller. Just a home hobbyist.

Thanks

Julia

NY-MC12000

Con <Conartist1945@...>

Have used Embird for years and love it. Best bargain around for embroidery software.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 18, 2014, at 5:05 PM, "juliadlf.ny@... [janome12000]" <janome12000@...> wrote:

I have found 2 options which can help me with converting files and resizing designs  for my Janome MC12000. SewWhatPro and Embird Basic. SewWhatPro seems very easy to use but Embird appears to have just the same features or am I missing something? I just don't want to fall into  another software issue and spend $$ for something that won't work for saving files in the hoop sizes for the MC12000.

Pricing of each is different but I'm more interested in just getting some feedback on which one worked best for you, if you purchased either of these. I'm not a commercial seller. Just a home hobbyist.

Thanks

Julia

NY-MC12000

Terry

So are you using this as your software package instead of the Janome MBX software? If so, why did you choose embird?

Terry

On Jun 19, 2014, at 9:49 AM, "Con Conartist1945@... [janome12000]" <janome12000@...> wrote:

[...]

Marsha

Julia,

I have used Embird for years for editing & converting designs.  I love it.  Don’t know anything about Sew-what pro...

Marsha

Con <Conartist1945@...>

I'be had it for years. It works well with any format or converting formats. I have a viking, a babylock and a janome embroidery machine. I had originally purchased viking software. It was very expensive and very complicated ( no dealer support) embirds upgrades are also very reasonable. Carolyn Keber from secrets of embroidery has cds you can buy with the tutorials for embird. I think there's a lot of them out there now
Connie from Mass
Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 19, 2014, at 11:59 AM, "Terry lifesastitch82@... [janome12000]" <janome12000@...> wrote:

So are you using this as your software package instead of the Janome MBX software? If so, why did you choose embird?

Terry

MarieD <marie.drozdis@...>

If you're interested in why someone else uses Embird, here's why I do. It
cost $20 - $30 to upgrade to a newer version and the programmers are very
good at listening to what we want in the program. Those experiencing
problems with it are the exceptions.

BTW, Embird also does a batch conversion.

Marie

So are you using this as your software package instead of the Janome MBX
software? If so, why did you choose embird?

Bea Rosier <beazoza@...>

I really think you are selling yourself short by not using the Digitizer MBX software.

[...]

Gail

I also use Embird and I'm very happy with it.  I had Customizer 4D from HV first, then PE Design but really just wanted to be able t edit my designs and add lettering.  I really wasn't into Digitizing my own.  The upgrades for both those other software packages were about $500.00 and there was a new one every other year or so.  I really couldn't keep up and wasn't using the programs fully.  I went with Embird back in 2004 and have been very happy with it.  Upgrades are every couple of years, but only $20.00.  I do have the digitizing part, but still don't use it.  There are a couple of Yahoo groups for it that are  very helpful.

I got my 15000 a couple of months ago an I just recently converted all my files to .jef.  I did whole folders at a time so it was pretty quick and easy.

I would recommend Embird

Gail in Florida

maggie cooper

Julia, I have Embird, Janome MBX Dew what Oro, and quite honestly Sew what pro does all that the Embird Editor plus true type font conversion. It can be used to split designs, change thread colours, rescale designs but costs less than Embird. The writer is helpful, its a nice no nonsense editor and very good.

Maggie Cooper

juliadlf.ny@...

Thank you all for the responses. I did download the trial version of Sew-What Pro and so far it is doing exactly what I want and it has all the Janome MC12000 hoop sizes in the software. I also got help with how to do a split design. It does batch conversion of files, resizing and a couple of other things.
I plan to download the trial version of Embird Basic. I don't digitize (at least not at the moment) and I leave that to the pros. Maybe in the dead of winter I may try but for now I have a lot of projects in the pipeline that I'm anxious to complete and others I want to start.
I think though someone mentioned add-ons and upgrade costs which I need to check on that to compare both products.

I don't have MBX and was not given this when I bought my 12000. Perhaps your thinking of the 15000 owners?

Thanks again. I do appreciate the responses.

Julia
NY-MC12000

Terry

Interesting I wasn't aware it was available!

Terry

On Jun 19, 2014, at 1:52 PM, "Con Conartist1945@... [janome12000]" <janome12000@...> wrote:

I'be had it for years. It works well with any format or converting formats. I have a viking, a babylock and a janome embroidery machine. I had originally purchased viking software. It was very expensive and very complicated ( no dealer support) embirds upgrades are also very reasonable. Carolyn Keber from secrets of embroidery has cds you can buy with the tutorials for embird. I think there's a lot of them out there now
Connie from Mass
Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 19, 2014, at 11:59 AM, "Terry lifesastitch82@... [janome12000]" <janome12000@...> wrote:

So are you using this as your software package instead of the Janome MBX software? If so, why did you choose embird?

Terry

Susan

MBX was not offered with my 15000.  I didn't even know what it was until I found this group.
Susan

On 6/19/2014 4:22 PM, juliadlf.ny@... [janome12000] wrote:

[...]

Claire Schutz

No Julia, I have the 15K and it was not included, cost additional,  Claire S.

On 6/19/2014 6:22 PM, juliadlf.ny@... [janome12000] wrote:

[...]

Sorry.  There was a Janome sponsored Jenny Haskins show and at the end, the machines were sold and the deal included MBX.

On Jun 19, 2014, at 10:55 PM, "Susan sbentley@... [janome12000]" <janome12000@...> wrote:

[...]

Smith Sarah Ann <sarahannsmith@...>

From a total newbie at embroidery (I’ve unpacked the box but haven’t even TRIED one yet), are Sew-What Pro, MBX and Embird PC only, or do they work on a Mac?

Cheers, Sarah

Check out my DVD: Art Quilt Design: From Photo to Threadwork
Author of bestseller ThreadWork Unraveled
website and blog: http://www.sarahannsmith.com/weblog
e-mail: sarah@...

From his Mac Jim says:
Almost all sewing software is PC-only. However there are some good Mac-based programs that would be good for you. StitchBuddy is a basic program for viewing designs, making templates and getting the designs on a USB stick for stitching. Embrilliance offers a number of embroidery programs for both Mac and PC.

Smith Sarah Ann <sarahannsmith@...>

Thanks Jim for the info

e-mail: sarah@sarahannsmith.com