Hoop helper

ceilsews <no_reply@...>

I was having a difficult time trying to tighten and untighten screws on the hoops when my husband gave me a screwdriver with a bigger end to better fit into the slot and also gave me a 1.5 inch piece of flexible transparent plastic tubing that has 1/2" outer diameter and 3/8" inner diameter.  This really helps!  I posted a picture in case my description isn't clear.  I was tired of having the screw driver slip off and hit my hand.
I also purchased the Clothesetter.  While it has solved the problem of chasing the hoops all around the table, and I do love it for that, I'm less than impressed with the plastic arm.  I haven't used it to align embroidery yet but I'm not optimistic about its ability to hold its position for lining up designs.

Lou Ann

I've attended a couple of classes where I got my hand slapped for trying to tighten my hoop too much.  I guess it's not only unnecessary because you could damage the hoops but also results in less than spectacular finished embroidery because of the possibility of stretching the fabric from over tightening.  I agree with your assessment of the clothsetter.  I love mine and use it every time I have a project because I get so frustrated chasing the bottom hoop around!  I attended a class a couple of days ago and it was pointed out that you can use the arrows to pinpoint the center and it looked like it would be easier to get "close" with the clothsetter and then hone in exactly where I want the needle using the machine's arrows.  Does that make sense?  I have a list of projects to try it out!

ceilsews <no_reply@...>

Is it possible that I've been trying to tighten my hoops too much?  I thought they needed to be "drum tight"?  I've gotten sidetracked by doing a lot of "in the hoop" projects where I don't want the hoop popping off when I take it off to put fabric underneath.  I really wanted to be doing some acufil work and more plain embroidery by now.  So many choices!  I see what you mean by lining up with the arrows but think the Clothsetter should be able to get things close but maybe not pinpoint close due to its floppy arm.

Lou Ann

I've seen u-tube videos where they just push the fabric/stabilizer into the bottom frame with the top hoop and never tighten it more.  It looks like it's barely snug--definitely not overly tight.  I've probably tightened too much, but I think that's probably something best learned  from someone "in person" who knows what they are doing and who has pretty finished projects!  Maybe one of our Janome group experts can tell us both:)

Patricia Ward

I tighten mine to be sure they are secure and tight.. but I do not use a screwdriver to make it tighter... LOL   We are not building an engine nor are we wanting a permanent hooping.
And what I did to save my fingers from the screw: I bought those pencil gripper rubber thingies and I slip a half of one of those over the end of the screw and that lets you grip it securely to tighten it.  I think finger tightening is tight enough.

Pat

On Sat, Jun 14, 2014 at 3:38 PM, ceilsews <no_reply@...> wrote:

Is it possible that I've been trying to tighten my hoops too much?  I thought they needed to be "drum tight"?  I've gotten sidetracked by doing a lot of "in the hoop" projects where I don't want the hoop popping off when I take it off to put fabric underneath.  I really wanted to be doing some acufil work and more plain embroidery by now.  So many choices!  I see what you mean by lining up with the arrows but think the Clothsetter should be able to get things close but maybe not pinpoint close due to its floppy arm.

ceilsews <no_reply@...>

Thanks Pat!  Yes, I guess if my fingers could grip it tight enough, a screwdriver wouldn’t be needed!  Off to Staples…

Claire Schutz

The current Sew News shows using rubber finger cots,  Claire S.