Topics

Filling the Bobbin - Typical stop point?

juliadlf.ny@...

When I wind my bobbins I find that the winder seemingly stops about approximately a bit less than 1/8" before the edge of the bobbin. Is this the correct setting? Also when it winds the bobbins and it gets to the point of stopping, it really doesn't fully stop but appears to be trying to continue and I have to hit the Stop /Start button. Closest way for me to describe what it does is like a car peeling out and the wheels spin but the car isn't moving. I had a MC7700 which did fill the bobbin fully so I'm wondering if the MC12000 is not set properly for bobbin winding.

Thanks for helping me through my learning curve.

Julia

NY-MC12000

Trying unsuccessfully to peel out in his Prius, Jim says:

Your car analogy is pretty apt. The bobbin winder is actually driven by a rubber "tire" that is driven by the hand wheel. The rubber tire that drives the winder may not be absolutely perfectly round, and the hand wheel that spins it may also not be absolutely perfectly true. This can result in a bit of stuttering when the stop point is reached and the machine is programmed to run for some time beyond this point until it stops. You are right to stop it, as prolonged operation in a non-winding or partially-winding state can eventually wear flat spots in the tire.

The stopping point of the winder is set by the silver metal piece immediately to the right of the winder. You can adjust this by loosening *SLIGHTLY* the silver screw to the right of the stopper. DO NOT loosen it a lot, or you will hear a soft click as the nut backing the screw falls down into the machine. You will then have to take the machine to your dealer and make up a convincing story about how that nut fell off without any action on your part. (Hint - he won't believe that your cat did it. A story about an inquisitive grandson *might* fly, but the best excuse would be to blame it on your husband, especially if said husband is a mechanic or engineer.) What you want to do is loosen that screw only to the point that the stopper can be moved. Move it only a small amount at a time and hold it when you tighten the screw or it will move, usually in the wrong direction. Don't try to get it to fill within one thread width of absolutely full, as you may use a heavier thread that will cause it to overfill. When overly full the thread will fall down below the bobbin and quickly wrap around the bobbin winder spindle, creating a nasty mess. There is no story that your dealer will believe if that happens, and you'll need to bring a batch of chocolate chip cookies or brownies just to keep him or her from taking you off the store's Christmas card list. You've already got the biggest bobbin in the industry. Accept the fact that you're going to have to fill one from time to time and it will always happen at a time that is not convenient.

juliadlf.ny@...

Thank you Jim. I'll leave it as it is as it is not a big issue but wondered if this was something the machine typically does and it appears it isn't.  I have a Sidewinder I can use to get fuller bobbins.

Julia
NY-MC12000

Cathy DeWolf

If I may add my two cents:  I found that the easiest way to set the bobbin winder is to first put in a full bobbin and then use that as a guide.

Cathy

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 5, 2014, at 7:07 PM, "juliadlf.ny@... [janome12000]" <janome12000@...> wrote:

[...]

JoAnn Novak

  What Sidewinder do you use??  I was thinking of buying one.   JoAnn

A wise man's heart inclines him to the right but a fool's heart to the left. Ecc. 10:2

Thank you Jim. I'll leave it as it is as it is not a big issue but wondered if this was something the machine typically does and it appears it isn't.  I have a Sidewinder I can use to get fuller bobbins.

Julia
NY-MC12000

juliadlf.ny@...

JoAnn: Sorry I didn't reply sooner but didn't see this message come up on my mail. I have the Simplicity Deluxe Sidewinder. I got it a couple of years ago at Joann's and I've been very happy with it.
Julia
NY-MC12000

JoAnn Novak

  Thank you Julia.  I will check into and maybe buy one.   JoAnn