Posted Photos - Acufil Quilting Project

juliadlf.ny@...

I've started adding photos to an album I created here in the Yahoo group in the photo/album file. The album is titled Acufil Quilting Project. I'm using the MC12000. This has been a learning experience for me but so far I'm pleased with how the machine performs. I've been undoing the clips as I complete a section and moving the quilt to the next section while the hoop is still on the machine. One issue I did find was securing the magnetic clips so they stay in place.
I started the quilting on the top left and moved the template to the right as I completed each section being careful to be sure the quilt is not dragging on the arm to the front of the machine.  Matching the next section to the previous one is getting better and I found I needed to cut my design template very close so I can see the match-up better. I completed one row and found I should not stop and start the machine during the stitching as it causes thread build-up (knots ?) on the back. Once you stop and restart the machine, it stitches in place a couple of times before continuing. Not sure if this is something in the settings or just the way the machine is programmed to stitch once you stop and restart.
Also, trying to stop the machine when it first starts a new section to bring the bottom thread up. Will add more photos as the project progresses.

Julia
NY-MC12000

bellecon3

did you digitize the quilting pattern yourself?  I have been searching for quilting patterns like that.........so if you didn't where did you buy them?  or if you did, are you selling those?
 Lori in Iowa

Nicole Schmidt-Nutt

Julia,

When I used the accufil I found it easier to do a one stich stop so I could bring the back thread to the top (which eliminated the thread on the back get jumbled or nesting).  Also, I found it easier to have a box or something I could lay the quilt on behind the machine so it all the weight was not on the arm.  Hope this helps!

Nicole
MI

On Thursday, June 5, 2014 9:15 AM, "juliadlf.ny@... [janome12000]" wrote:

I've started adding photos to an album I created here in the Yahoo group in the photo/album file. The album is titled Acufil Quilting Project. I'm using the MC12000. This has been a learning experience for me but so far I'm pleased with how the machine performs. I've been undoing the clips as I complete a section and moving the quilt to the next section while the hoop is still on the machine. One issue I did find was securing the magnetic clips so they stay in place.
I started the quilting on the top left and moved the template to the right as I completed each section being careful to be sure the quilt is not dragging on the arm to the front of the machine.  Matching the next section to the previous one is getting better and I found I needed to cut my design template very close so I can see the match-up better. I completed one row and found I should not stop and start the machine during the stitching as it causes thread build-up (knots ?) on the back. Once you stop and restart the machine, it stitches in place a couple of times before continuing. Not sure if this is something in the settings or just the way the machine is programmed to stitch once you stop and restart.
Also, trying to stop the machine when it first starts a new section to bring the bottom thread up. Will add more photos as the project progresses.

Julia
NY-MC12000

Virginia

there are numerous line quilting patterns built into the 15,000 and with the quilt program for the 12,000.

Virginia

-----Original Message-----
To: janome12000
Sent: Thu, Jun 5, 2014 10:59 am
Subject: [janome12000] Re: Posted Photos - Acufil Quilting Project

did you digitize the quilting pattern yourself?  I have been searching for quilting patterns like that.........so if you didn't where did you buy them?  or if you did, are you selling those?
 Lori in Iowa

juliadlf.ny@...

Lori: I purchased the designs from an online source. She has some free ones you can try but just let them know when you do the check out process you need JEF format in the comments section. HOWEVER, this is where I've been having issues with the tiny stitches which may appeal to some but I was looking for a bit longer stitch length. Easier to take out stitches if you make a mistake. Not sure if the conversion software she used is the problem or some other issue but she is looking into it. Her website is My Creative Stitches. I'm using the Sea Swirl design. I love how the Acufil figured out based on my quilt size and the design size how many times I'd have to hoop.

Nicole: Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look at my settings for the one stitch stop. Also will find a box or something to lay the bulk of the quilt on to keep it up. Do you know if there is something in the settings which will not ask me when I shutdown and restart at a later time to take the hoop off so the arm will reset?. I do have it set to Resume and that is the second message that comes up on screen.

Viriginia: I did find the quilting designs but the ones we have already on the machine are nice but I wanted to use a more open swirling pattern which Janome did not provide. I did compare the stitching on the Janome built-in software ones to the ones I got from the online source and I like the stitch length on the Janome ones so hopefully the vendor can  figure out if it is her software or something else.

Julia
NY-MC12000

Nicole Schmidt-Nutt

Julia,

It is in the settings.  If you hit the settings button I believe it is the 3rd button from the left on the top of the screen.  And the sewing machine will remember until you go and change it to off.  It is great I used on the entire quilt I did.

Nicole
MI

On Thursday, June 5, 2014 12:24 PM, "juliadlf.ny@... [janome12000]" wrote:

Lori: I purchased the designs from an online source. She has some free ones you can try but just let them know when you do the check out process you need JEF format in the comments section. HOWEVER, this is where I've been having issues with the tiny stitches which may appeal to some but I was looking for a bit longer stitch length. Easier to take out stitches if you make a mistake. Not sure if the conversion software she used is the problem or some other issue but she is looking into it. Her website is My Creative Stitches. I'm using the Sea Swirl design. I love how the Acufil figured out based on my quilt size and the design size how many times I'd have to hoop.

Nicole: Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look at my settings for the one stitch stop. Also will find a box or something to lay the bulk of the quilt on to keep it up. Do you know if there is something in the settings which will not ask me when I shutdown and restart at a later time to take the hoop off so the arm will reset?. I do have it set to Resume and that is the second message that comes up on screen.

Viriginia: I did find the quilting designs but the ones we have already on the machine are nice but I wanted to use a more open swirling pattern which Janome did not provide. I did compare the stitching on the Janome built-in software ones to the ones I got from the online source and I like the stitch length on the Janome ones so hopefully the vendor can  figure out if it is her software or something else.

Julia
NY-MC12000

juliadlf.ny@...

Nicole: Thanks. I got it set in the "ON" position and it works great. BUT, sometimes it doesn't pull up the bobbin thread so I have to use the up/down needle button to do another stitch to pull it up.

Julia
NY-MC12000

Nicole Schmidt-Nutt

Julia,

Sometimes that happens.  If you make sure you have enough tailing you shouldn't have any more issues.

Nicole
MI

On Thursday, June 5, 2014 8:14 PM, "juliadlf.ny@... [janome12000]" wrote:

Nicole: Thanks. I got it set in the "ON" position and it works great. BUT, sometimes it doesn't pull up the bobbin thread so I have to use the up/down needle button to do another stitch to pull it up.

Julia
NY-MC12000

Gail

Julia,

I just looked at the Sea Swirl design on the website.  We're you able to adequately line up the design so it met the next motif using just the template?  If so, was it difficult?  Guess it's something I need to try but wondered if there are any hints you could give.

Gail in FL 

juliadlf.ny@...

Gail: Yes, I was able to line up okay. It was slow going in the beginning because of my inexperience working with the 12000 and then  figuring out I needed to cut the printed template close to the design so I could see through the hoop plastic template to lineup  the beginning line with the ending line of the previous section.I taped the printed design to the underside of the hoop template and it works good.

I did not include the quilt borders in the quilting and just focused on the larger section as I have another design I want to use for the borders. I am working from left to right and when I finished the first row, I started again from the left so my second row will be just below the first row. If you saw the layout of the Sea Swirl you will know what I mean. My quilt is quite large so I have to reroll it back under the harp space as I start each new row.

BTW, the digitizer just sent me an email with revised design to see if the stitches are longer. Gotta go and test.

Julia
NY-MC12000

Gail

Julia, which hoop did you use for the quilting.  I'm thinking it was not the Acufil hoop but wanted to check.  I say that because I can't find a way to bring any designs other then Acufil designs into the Acufil softwar.  Am I missing something and is there a way to do that?  If not, did you just take use the Acufil software to calculate how many hooping and the exact size you needed for your design?

Hope you understand what I'm asking.  I'm very new to this and want to be able to use this machine to quilt with.  I already have some quilt designs from my previous machine that I can convert into Jef, just don't know how to get them in the Acufil design folders.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Gail

ceilsews <no_reply@...>

Gail,
I don't mean to interfere here as I'm really very new too-  I used the acufil hoop (SQ 22) when embroidering some lettering on the borders of a quilt.  The suite software ( Emblink tool- Editing Software Design) allowed me to use the lettering and that hoop.  It actually allowed me to use the SQ 22 hoop when I had created a lettering design in the SQ 14 hoop.  I didn't realize it at first but the machine treated both hoops the same and didn't seem to know when I didn't have the correct hoop attached. 
So maybe you can bring in your designs via Emblink.

juliadlf.ny@...

Gail: I am using the Acufil hoop and used the design I purchased to get the calculation. I just saved the design to the Acufil design folder and opened it from there.  I'll see if I can do a step by step which might explain how I got it saved in the Acufil folder which I use to pull designs from. I have to hook-up the PC to the machine again so might not be till later this afternoon.

I'm new on this too. I'm happy to share what I've learned.

Julia
NY-MC12000

Virginia

Gail in the selections of your quilt program there is a help tool.  the directions are there and perhaps printing them out might help.  I find if I have the text in front of me makes it easier.  The quilt program will open all Jef files that fit in the 8.7 x 8.7 hoop.

Virginia

-----Original Message-----
To: janome12000
Sent: Fri, Jun 6, 2014 10:30 pm
Subject: [janome12000] Re: Posted Photos - Acufil Quilting Project

Julia, which hoop did you use for the quilting.  I'm thinking it was not the Acufil hoop but wanted to check.  I say that because I can't find a way to bring any designs other then Acufil designs into the Acufil softwar.  Am I missing something and is there a way to do that?  If not, did you just take use the Acufil software to calculate how many hooping and the exact size you needed for your design?

Hope you understand what I'm asking.  I'm very new to this and want to be able to use this machine to quilt with.  I already have some quilt designs from my previous machine that I can convert into Jef, just don't know how to get them in the Acufil design folders.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Gail

juliadlf.ny@...

Gail:  Were you able to find your designs and bring them into Acufil?