Acufil question

ceilsews <no_reply@...>

What is the maximum size of the quilt top you can input into the acufil system?

Virginia

I believe it is 120 by 120.  Similar to a King size.

Virginia

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Fri, Mar 7, 2014 11:28 pm
Subject: [janome12000] Acufil question

Cheryl Paul

Answer:  You can make a quilt 129.92" X 129.92" (3300cm X 3300cm).  That is very big and you would have 15 columns and 15 rows.  I think Janome did it right by giving us such a large option.
Cheryl

ceilsews <no_reply@...>

Wow!  That's bigger than I'll ever need.  Is Janome the only manufacturer who has this feature?  I don't remember seeing much about it when I started looking at new machines.

Cheryl Paul

Virginia,  I went into the program to find the dimensions and that is what it said.  Now that is bigger than I think most would wish to make so even 120" square is BIG.
Cheryl - Saskatoon

Virginia

That is true Cheryl.  I wish these dealers would offer more classes on the Acufil.  I think more people would be interested if there was more exposure.  I am not sure but Janome used to have a demo video on their website when the 11,000 program out, but not sure now.

Ginger

To: janome12000
Sent: Mon, Mar 10, 2014 12:26 am
Subject: Re: [janome12000] Acufil question

Virginia,  I went into the program to find the dimensions and that is what it said.  Now that is bigger than I think most would wish to make so even 120" square is BIG.
Cheryl - Saskatoon

bdake@sbcglobal.net

I just searched and found this sight. I have not watched the videos yet but it might be what some of you are looking for.  It's for the 12000 but I don't think there would be much difference. Hope these help us all.

Pixey

I have a question about doing a big quilt like this...
Obviously you would need to sit the machine on a large table that supports most of the quilt, but how is it that the sheer weight of moving a quilt this big and heavy around doesn't strip the gears on the embroidery arm.  It seems inevitable that at some point you've got some significant dead weight hanging off the front of the machine...or am I missing a technique for managing the bulk of the quilt.

Sometimes, I'm still afraid of doing something that will "break" the machine.

Thanks,
Pixey

To: janome12000@...
Sent: Saturday, March 8, 2014 8:54 AM
Subject: [janome12000] RE: Acufil question

Answer:  You can make a quilt 129.92" X 129.92" (3300cm X 3300cm).  That is very big and you would have 15 columns and 15 rows.  I think Janome did it right by giving us such a large option.
Cheryl

Connie <cldparrish@...>

Just now doing a small quilt for a test on the acufil. I have found that you need to hold the quilt with your hands to help move the quilt when embrodiering. Did a couple embroiders without helping the quilt move and when the needle went over the design the second time it shadow the first stitiching.

On Thursday, March 13, 2014 8:41 PM, Pixey Mosley wrote:

Obviously you would need to sit the machine on a large table that supports most of the quilt, but how is it that the sheer weight of moving a quilt this big and heavy around doesn't strip the gears on the embroidery arm.  It seems inevitable that at some point you've got some significant dead weight hanging off the front of the machine...or am I missing a technique for managing the bulk of the quilt.

Thanks,
Pixey

Cheryl

blue_lak <no_reply@...>

The best result for the queen-size I just finished was to loosely scrunch up a portion onto the lucite quilting table. That took all the weight off the area being quilted so the arm could move freely. My machine and quilting table sit on a very large table so the entire quilt was supported on all three sides. I tried rolling it up when I got closer to the middle and found that nearly impossible work with. Scrunching, loosely bunching, worked very well.
Jan in MD

Virginia

IF YOUR QUILT IS HOOPED CORRECTLY YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO ROLL YOUR QUILT WORKING FROM LET TO RIGHT AND NOT MOVE YOUR QUILT.  MOVING THE QUILT WHILE IT IS EMBROIDERING IS NOT A GOOD IDEA.  

To: janome12000
Sent: Fri, Mar 14, 2014 9:29 am
Subject: Re: [janome12000] RE: Acufil question

Just now doing a small quilt for a test on the acufil. I have found that you need to hold the quilt with your hands to help move the quilt when embrodiering. Did a couple embroiders without helping the quilt move and when the needle went over the design the second time it shadow the first stitiching.

On Thursday, March 13, 2014 8:41 PM, Pixey Mosley <pixeyam@...> wrote:

Thanks,
Pixey

Cheryl

Cheryl Paul

Hi,
Regarding my statement:  You can make a quilt 129.92" X 129.92" (3300cm X 3300cm).  I realized that I made a huge mistake.  3300 cm would be a wooing big quilt I should have written 3300 millimetres, which really is the correct number.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

ceilsews <no_reply@...>

Cheryl,
Sad to say I didn't notice that.  It sure would make one impressive quilt.  Since it's still 129" by 129", that's more than adequate for me!  Thank you.

Nicole Schmidt-Nutt

This will be the first time I am using the acufil system.  Does anyone know what needle to use (embroidery or qulting or topstich)? Anyone know of a site that walks you through everything? I have already reviewed the videos on the Janome site but their pretty basic.

On Saturday, March 15, 2014 11:48 PM, ceilsews wrote:

Cheryl,
Sad to say I didn't notice that.  It sure would make one impressive quilt.  Since it's still 129" by 129", that's more than adequate for me!  Thank you.

shejmartin1

The needle would depend on the fabric, batting,  and thread you are using more than the fact that you are using the acufil.  Personally, I find that the Janome blue tip needles work for almost anything I do regarding quilting and embroidery.

Nicole Schmidt-Nutt

I will be using King Tut which is recommended to use the 90/14 needle.  Has anyone used this thread with the acufil? How does it work?

On Tuesday, March 18, 2014 10:08 AM, "shejmartin1@..." <shejmartin1@...> wrote:

The needle would depend on the fabric, batting,  and thread you are using more than the fact that you are using the acufil.  Personally, I find that the Janome blue tip needles work for almost anything I do regarding quilting and embroidery.

favymtz

Most of the time its a better choice to use the size 14 needle when doing stitching on multiple layers of a quilt. Its easier on the thread too. Size 11 (Janome blue tip) are meant for most general piecing and stitching. Remember, smaller needle equals thinner fabric and or layers, bigger needle equals thicker fabrics and or layers! Check out Superior Threads website (makers of King Tut thread) for info on needles and threads, they're good educators on the topic.

Nicole Schmidt-Nutt

Thank you for your help.  I did email questions to them as well.  They are great to work with and willing to answer any questions.  I appreciate your response and it helps me to feel more comfortable with the acufil.

Thanks,
Nicole

On Wednesday, March 19, 2014 10:01 AM, "favymtz@..." wrote:

Most of the time its a better choice to use the size 14 needle when doing stitching on multiple layers of a quilt. Its easier on the thread too. Size 11 (Janome blue tip) are meant for most general piecing and stitching. Remember, smaller needle equals thinner fabric and or layers, bigger needle equals thicker fabrics and or layers! Check out Superior Threads website (makers of King Tut thread) for info on needles and threads, they're good educators on the topic.

Vikki Youngmeyer

Have you tried contacting Embird about the hoop issue? They do periodically update the hoops and may have an update available for free or a minimal charge. I know that Sew Iconz and Sew what Pro update their hoops and machines lists.

Vikki

Houston, TX

Patricia Ward

The needle I use depends on the thread weight.  Sometimes I will use a topstitch needle to do free motion or acufil quilting because I am using a 40 wt thread since I want the design to show.. then I use a topstitch needle with the larger hole.  If I don't and only use a 14 quilting needle the machine starts moving fast and it can shred the thread... that is King Tut cotton thread which is a nice thread. I put in a topstitch needle and I have no problems whatsoever.

Pat

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 9:15 AM, nicole schmidt <nhs5@...> wrote:

This will be the first time I am using the acufil system.  Does anyone know what needle to use (embroidery or qulting or topstich)? Anyone know of a site that walks you through everything? I have already reviewed the videos on the Janome site but their pretty basic.

On Saturday, March 15, 2014 11:48 PM, ceilsews <no_reply@...> wrote:

Cheryl,