Organization with color changes

Lou Ann

I'm looking for all your expert advice on how to get organized. Specifically, when you are embroidering a design with a lot of colors and even more color changes, how do you keep track! I recently finished a design that had 17 colors and 25 color changes and the only way I could figure out how to keep my thread in the right sequence was to write the color change numbers (as in color 11 = color 20) on a piece of scotch tape and stick it temporarily on the end of the spool. I usually line up my spools in the order they will stitch out but with so many colors and reusing the same colors more than once, it got confusing. I thought at the time that there must be a better way! Any suggestions?

Anne Stoye

I recently stitched a design with complex colour changes and, like you, tried to get myself organised so that I did not make mistakes when stitching out.  I planned my colours and looked out all the spools I needed.  Then I laid them out in order of use, with a placemarker of some kind in the gaps where I was reusing earlier colours.  When I had finished stitching each colour I had the next spool handy to restart embroidering immediately and, once the machine was in action again, the colour just finished either went back to storage if I had finished with it or replaced a marker in the row of spools waiting to be used.

This worked for me, but I am sure that there are lots of ways you could do it.

Good luck.

Anne

Janie Oren <jsoren@...>

I use a June Taylor thread rack that I've numbered the posts on (using a sharpie, write the number on the horizontal rail in front of each peg).  Place the colors in order on the corresponding peg.  If a color is used more then once, leave the peg empty for the 2nd (3rd, etc) color repeat, and once you've stitched that color out, move it to the correct empty peg.  Works great!

Tony Coley

victorygirl,

Really understand your problem.When I first started doing embroidery my bride would make a list of color change i.e. 1-25. She would layout the spools with color numbers i.e. 1-17. On the first list I woulf write the color number next to the color change number. Why did I do this?  I'm color blind. That was over 10 yrs. ago and it worked fine even after I went to a Toyota 15 needle machine.
Keep the faith and you will develop a system that works best for YOU.
Happy sewing
Tony