Popping sound

malehto

My MC12000 has recently begun making popping sounds when embroidering.
I am making the Hoopsisters mystery quilt using the SQ23 hoop. Each time the machine crosses a certain point on the horizontal axis it makes a popping sound. Stitches seem to be fine. No popping sounds on the vertical axis yet. My dealer said not to worry about, but it still concerns me. Am I harming my machine by ignoring this warning sound? What could be causing it? TIA.
Mary in Savannah, TX

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

Assuming that the sound is coming from the embroidery unit, I would guess there is some debris caught in the belt that moves the hoop horizontally. There are teeth on this belt, and a wad of lint could cause the belt to jump when that lint hits the drive gear. The best course would be to have them take the cover off the embroidery unit and check the belt for debris. At the same time the could make sure that it moves smoothly.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "malehto" <maalleh@...> wrote:

My MC12000 has recently begun making popping sounds when embroidering.
I am making the Hoopsisters mystery quilt using the SQ23 hoop. Each time the machine crosses a certain point on the horizontal axis it makes a popping sound. Stitches seem to be fine. No popping sounds on the vertical axis yet. My dealer said not to worry about, but it still concerns me. Am I harming my machine by ignoring this warning sound? What could be causing it? TIA.
Mary in Savannah, TX

Carl Fuller

Check the adjustment on the height of your "extension table". Usually one of the "magnetic holders is catching on the edge somewhere... I'd suspect the outer edge on the left. anyway, give the legs on the end a couple of half turns and see if that doesn't eliminate your popping. I'm thinking the popping is the plastic from the magnetic holder hitting the edge of the machine or extension table.
--
"The arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and assistance to foreign hands should be curtailed, lest Rome fall." Cicero - 55 BC Fathom the Hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

Good catch Carl - I like your answer better than mine!

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, Carl Fuller <cfuller3@...> wrote:

Check the adjustment on the height of your "extension table". Usually
one of the "magnetic holders is catching on the edge somewhere... I'd
suspect the outer edge on the left. anyway, give the legs on the end a
couple of half turns and see if that doesn't eliminate your popping.
I'm thinking the popping is the plastic from the magnetic holder hitting
the edge of the machine or extension table.
--
"The arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and
assistance to foreign hands should be curtailed, lest Rome fall." Cicero
- 55 BC Fathom the Hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen
to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a
citizen.

Virginia

Depending what hoop you are using perhaps the magnets on the side are hitting your extension table.  Be sure your bottom hoop is flat on the bottom or it could be a part of your stabilizer hitting the machine.  I have had all of the above and it is just checking all the little things out.

Do not panic.

Virginia

--- In janome12000@..., "malehto" wrote:

> My MC12000 has recently begun making popping sounds when embroidering.
> I am making the Hoopsisters mystery quilt using the SQ23 hoop. Each time the machine crosses a certain point on the horizontal axis it makes a popping sound. Stitches seem to be fine. No popping sounds on the vertical axis yet. My dealer said not to worry about, but it still concerns me. Am I harming my machine by ignoring this warning sound? What could be causing it? TIA.
> Mary in Savannah, TX

Carl Fuller

Excellent. Hope that works for her. Seems warped minds think alike. Something like that. I've caused it before, and it was happening one day before her post so it was fresh in my mind. She's lucky. There's not much fresh in this mind. Oh, I just got a vision of the two of us sitting at the keyboard about the same time with our replies. There was a couple of us (Frazier).

--
"The arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and assistance to foreign hands should be curtailed, lest Rome fall." Cicero - 55 BC Fathom the Hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.

malehto

Played around a bit with my machine last evening trying to figure out what was causing that popping sound. Took off the extension table. Used the SQ23 hoop without any fabric or stabilizer. Magnets and no magnets. Walked thru a design known to cause the popping sound. It still pops. And even when it repositions the embroidery arm with no hoop attached it pops. So, as our beloved Jim suggested, I think it's time to haul the beastie back to the dealer.

Blessings everyone and thanks for all your suggestions.

Mary in Savannah, TX

[...]

Rats! Sometimes it makes me unhappy to be right. Sorry!

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "malehto" <maalleh@...> wrote:

Played around a bit with my machine last evening trying to figure out what was causing that popping sound. Took off the extension table. Used the SQ23 hoop without any fabric or stabilizer. Magnets and no magnets. Walked thru a design known to cause the popping sound. It still pops. And even when it repositions the embroidery arm with no hoop attached it pops. So, as our beloved Jim suggested, I think it's time to haul the beastie back to the dealer.

Blessings everyone and thanks for all your suggestions.

Mary in Savannah, TX

Carl Fuller

U da man Jim...... ;-) For the rest of ya, a little housekeeping around the machine now and then might prevent this... again, ;-) Quit doing so many projects that ya make so much dust and stuff........
--
"The arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and assistance to foreign hands should be curtailed, lest Rome fall." Cicero - 55 BC Fathom the Hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.

janetpiekarski

Do you think it could be that shield thing, the plasticky thing that covers the unit that slides inside the unit and back out? I'll bet that is catching a bit because that would make that popping sound for sure.

Rats! Sometimes it makes me unhappy to be right. Sorry!

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "malehto" <maalleh@> wrote:

Played around a bit with my machine last evening trying to figure out what was causing that popping sound. Took off the extension table. Used the SQ23 hoop without any fabric or stabilizer. Magnets and no magnets. Walked thru a design known to cause the popping sound. It still pops. And even when it repositions the embroidery arm with no hoop attached it pops. So, as our beloved Jim suggested, I think it's time to haul the beastie back to the dealer.

Blessings everyone and thanks for all your suggestions.

Mary in Savannah, TX

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

It *might* relate to the shield, although my experience has been that when the shield goes wonky it comes right out of the machine. In any case, the cover has to be removed from the embroidery unit. The dealer will do that and the problem should then be fairly obvious.