New owner janome 12000 Thread

Pinguin

Hello Robin,
what is the problem with the thread, is it the quality or just that it doesn't have colour numbers?

I recommend to start with designs that have not so many colour changes. Good digitizers don't use lots of colours. By changing the direction of the stitches and therefore the way the stitches reflect the light, they can make colour variations as well.

Then have a look at the name of the colours. And think of what you know about the design. If you do a flower, you know the stem and leaves have to be green. And the flower can be yellow, pink etc. Then look at the value of the colours, is it a light, a medium or a dark. That should help with selecting the colours. And finally, all the colours you are planning to use, have to look good together.
That way you don't have to be a slave of colournumbers.

Just be brave and don't be afraid to make mistakes.
Gerda

Op 05-05-13 17:21, rsh724 schreef:

Hi Kathy,

I'm hoping you can learn a bit from my mistakes.

My first (and only at this point) embroidery machine is my Janome 11000SE, which is a very easy machine to use. (I haven't committed to the 12000 yet, but hope to soon.)

Anyway, my mistake was buying about 60 spools of no-name thread on eBay before I bought the machine, I was so excited to get started embroidering. But I didn't know which colors to pick, they don't have numbers that I can use to figure out the colors with the embroidery machine, and now I don't want to waste all that money that I spent, so I haven't bought much more thread. As a consequence, I rarely embroider because I don't have the right threads.

If I had it to do over again, I would have figured out which threads worked well on my machine, either through this group or by buying one or two of a brand first, and seeing how well it stitches out. (I suspect the 12000, like the 11000SE, will take any brand of thread without complaint, but I'm sure others on this group will let you know.)

I also would have made sure that the brand(s) I bought could be matched to the suggested colors on the machine. When I see a design I like with 15-20 thread changes I get overwhelmed with having to match the colors on my own.

Right now what I'm thinking of buying thread for each design I buy, as a way to build up a new supply of thread without breaking the bank at one time.

Finally, I would buy polyester instead of rayon.

Hope this helps a little bit,

Robin

rsh724

Hi Gerda, Cheryl,

Thanks for your replies, you both make a lot of sense. It will help me as I learn.

The problem with the thread is not the quality, my 11000SE so far has sewn beautifully with any thread I use. The thread is pretty, of course not as gorgeous as the 3 spools of Floriani that I picked up, but then again they didn't cost nearly as much.

The problem is me, basically, I feel I don't know what I'm doing, and I find it extremely hard to match the colors for shadowing and shading. For example, I can pick red when it shows red, but then I usually don't have shades of red to get the right shading. I did buy some other thread from metroemb., so now I have about 100 cones of thread without having all of the colors I need.

I'm intrigued that you think a good digitizer will use fewer colors, and that could be the answer to my problem. Perhaps I need to find different websites to download designs. Right now I've only been using emblibrary.com, because I don't know what other sites to trust. The designs are inexpensive, but that does me no good since they often user many colors, so I don't even stitch out what I do buy. The last time I embroidered it felt like work, so I stopped.

What sites would be good for better digitized designs? Where do you get your designs? And how did you build up your thread collection?

Thanks so much for your help,

Robin

Janet

I use the ones off the emblibrary.com.  Sometimes they stitch out fine others don't.  I use the quilting ones a lot.  they usually work.  I usually test them out first.    I tried one of their Easter basket lace ones but the stitching was off.  i usually wait until i can get them for a dollar or less. That way if they dont work i am not out a lot on money.  I joined the Anita Goodesign club thru one of the local quilt shops    It was a 12 month program and I got 2 or 3 design packs a month.    They are supposed to have a good reputation.  The ones I stitched out work really well.   I like the in the hoop projects.  They are fun and quick.  I bought a doll clothes in the hoop from  sewing  with Nancy but have not tried that one yet.  I got enough designs to last a life time.

Janet