Quilting with 12000

rosematt11@ymail.com

I am new to this group, so a big Florida hello to all of you.

I own a 11000SE and have really liked it, but nonethless am thinking I want to upgrade to the 12000. I quilt a lot and my dealer suggested I could use the 12x8 hoop to quilt with, with just the magnets holding the quilt sandwich in place? Has anyone out there tried that?

Also, if anyone wants to share the pros and cons of one machine over the other I am looking for advice.

Thanks, Rose

Nora Turecka

Dear Rose,

As far as I know from the postings the 11000SE is a machine loved by their owners.

When I made the decision to buy a new embroidering machine, the local Janome dealer would not offer test drives, so I set out to Germany to make up my mind. They had all kinds of sewing machines from all established companies. I started with a test drive of the 11000 and then switched to the 12000. We used the same patterns and fabrics. I found the quality of stitching of the MC12000 superior to her older sister. I showed the results to my dear husband and he said, take the MC12000 despite the price difference of 2300 € (which included Digitizer MBX). And I am sooo happy since.

When I was a young girl, I had purchased the Singer Futura (one of the first electronic machines) and had used it mainly for sewing curtains, mending jeans and other simple jobs. However the plastic parts inside the machine simply lost their softeners, which resulted in incredible noise, when sewing and I got rid of it. I believe the best mechanic would not have been able to repair it.

After that I bought a preowned Brother Galaxy 2000 (combined sewing and embroidery), who did a good job for many years. When I started sewing quilts, I found that the working space right to the needle was rather small. At this time I bought the Janome 7700, which I like very much, because of the sturdy design, easy handling and big work space. At this point I missed the possibility of using bigger hoops with the Brother Galaxy. I had watched too many YouTube videos of Mary Osmond, promoting the AcuFil kit of the MC11000...and the rest is history.

I can say that I never regretted having spent my money on the MC12000, money I have earned myself but could have saved for hard times. Now I was in a lucky position to retire early at 56 (after having paid into the Austrian Social Security system for 40 years) to enjoy the pleasures of quilting, whenever I like, thanks God.

Our little Brother Galaxy replaced a Singer Concerto at my mother's household, because the Singer could not stitch anything else than a wacky straight stitch after a few years...

So, dear Rose, take your time, test drive with you own fabrics and designs and make a good choice. When it comes to the compatibility of hoops, I trust that Jim and the MC12000 ladies will be able to give you advice.

Kind regards

Nora
Vienna, Austria

Am 13.04.2013 um 02:30 schrieb rosematt11@...:

I am new to this group, so a big Florida hello to all of you.

I own a 11000SE and have really liked it, but nonethless am thinking I want to upgrade to the 12000. I quilt a lot and my dealer suggested I could use the 12x8 hoop to quilt with, with just the magnets holding the quilt sandwich in place? Has anyone out there tried that?

Also, if anyone wants to share the pros and cons of one machine over the other I am looking for advice.

Thanks, Rose

Virginia

Quilting with the largest hoop on the 12,000 is possible, however depending how thick your quilt sandwich would be could be a problem if the sandwich was too thick.  There is a quilting program that is available for the 12,000 for a small price that would be a better choice all around.  It is a heavier hoop and has heavier magnets and has a great software program that is included that would make your quilting experience much better.  In fact you could try to convince your dealer to include the program in the price of the machine. (hmmm!!)

The hoop you are referring to in the largest hoop for the 12,000 is not a square hoop it is 9.7 X 11.7.  The Acufil quilting hoop is 8.7 x 8.7 and is more square.

If you do decide to purchase the 12,000 you will not be disappointed.  Where in Florida are you from.

Virginia in FL

Donna Morton

You might be able to use them in a quilt as you go project but they are not strong enough to hold even a table runner without lots of grief, especially if bulky seams are in the way.

Donna M
Canada

Sent: Friday, April 12, 2013 5:30 PM
Subject: [janome12000] Quilting with 12000

I am new to this group, so a big Florida hello to all of you.

I own a 11000SE and have really liked it, but nonethless am thinking I want to upgrade to the 12000. I quilt a lot and my dealer suggested I could use the 12x8 hoop to quilt with, with just the magnets holding the quilt sandwich in place? Has anyone out there tried that?

Also, if anyone wants to share the pros and cons of one machine over the other I am looking for advice.

Thanks, Rose

sewnana1990 <marsha.ryan@...>

I have used the magnetic hoops successfully when quilting a quilt. I have had no problems doing so.
Marsha

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Donna Morton" <demorton@...> wrote:

You might be able to use them in a quilt as you go project but they are not strong enough to hold even a table runner without lots of grief, especially if bulky seams are in the way.

Donna M
Canada

I am new to this group, so a big Florida hello to all of you.

I own a 11000SE and have really liked it, but nonethless am thinking I want to upgrade to the 12000. I quilt a lot and my dealer suggested I could use the 12x8 hoop to quilt with, with just the magnets holding the quilt sandwich in place? Has anyone out there tried that?

Also, if anyone wants to share the pros and cons of one machine over the other I am looking for advice.

Thanks, Rose

Donna Morton

My Acufil hoop works like a charm.  I did not have any luck using just the magnets and the GR hoop that came with the machine.

Donna M
Canada

Sent: Sunday, April 14, 2013 11:58 AM
Subject: [janome12000] Re: Quilting with 12000

--- In mailto:janome12000%40yahoogroups.com, "Donna Morton" wrote:

> You might be able to use them in a quilt as you go project but they are not strong enough to hold even a table runner without lots of grief, especially if bulky seams are in the way.
>
> Donna M
> Canada

Cheryl Paul

Hi,

I didn't use the 230 X 300 hoop but I did use the 230 X 230 hoop. It worked for me on a large wall hanging of about 60-70" square, but it was a challenge. That was before the 220 acuhoop was available to us. I was very glad to get that acuhoop as it is an awesome addition. I don't have a problem hooping but my challenge is getting it onto the machine - as I have my machine is a smaller place than where I hoop up my quilt.

Cheryl - Saskatoon