loops on top

cladydi328@...

Jim, Please help. I am embroidering a hoopsisters quilt. It is the star and feather(new one). Doing the embroidery I am starting to get loops on top. I have a new needle and have slowed down the machine. What else do I need to do? The embroidery on the first square had maybe three loops but on it, this second one I've already gotten 5 and am not finished. It was digitized by Sharon Shombler and it is beautiful. Please help. The material and thread is too expensive for this to mess up.
Thanks,
Diane in NC

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

We need more information. What type of thread? What type of fabric? What type of stabilizer? What type and size needle?

If there are very short stitches in the design, a needle that is too large can cause a loop, because both ends of the stitch are in the same hole. Very dense designs can also cause loops. With more information we should be able to provide some helpful advice.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, cladydi328@... wrote:

Jim, Please help. I am embroidering a hoopsisters quilt. It is the star and feather(new one). Doing the embroidery I am starting to get loops on top. I have a new needle and have slowed down the machine. What else do I need to do? The embroidery on the first square had maybe three loops but on it, this second one I've already gotten 5 and am not finished. It was digitized by Sharon Shombler and it is beautiful. Please help. The material and thread is too expensive for this to mess up.
Thanks,
Diane in NC

cladydi328@...

Sorry Jim,I was just so fustrated I forgot the important stuff. Needle: organ size 11, thread: floriani, stablizer: batilizer
Stitches aren't to short. Got mad and spead up to 900 spm and then only one loop, but slow or fast it shouldn't make any difference. I did another block before this one and only had 2 or 3 loops, but this  one had a good dozen. I'm doing the next block on my Quattro to see how it comes out.
Thanks,
Diane in NC

--- In janome12000@..., cladydi328@... wrote:

> Jim, Please help. I am embroidering a hoopsisters quilt. It is the star and feather(new one). Doing the embroidery I am starting to get loops on top. I have a new needle and have slowed down the machine. What else do I need to do? The embroidery on the first square had maybe three loops but on it, this second one I've already gotten 5 and am not finished. It was digitized by Sharon Shombler and it is beautiful. Please help. The material and thread is too expensive for this to mess up.
> Thanks,
> Diane in NC

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

Some suggestions -
Try a topstitch needle, which has a larger eye. With some embroidery threads you can sometimes flip the spool, feeding off the other end. Be sure to use the appropriate thread cap when doing this. Use the embroidery bobbin case and straight stitch plate. We assume you are using the quilt hoop with magnets, but if you are using one of the others, it may not be hooped tightly enough.

Floriani thread, like most polyester embroidery threads, has a memory. It wants to go back into a coil like it was on the spool, and this can cause it to throw a loop now and again. When you just have 1 or 2, you can sometimes pull them to the back.

[...]

monal

keep me posted - I am starting this Feathered Ferns class in 8 days - so excited

Mona

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, cladydi328@... wrote:

Jim, Please help. I am embroidering a hoopsisters quilt. It is the star and feather(new one). Doing the embroidery I am starting to get loops on top. I have a new needle and have slowed down the machine. What else do I need to do? The embroidery on the first square had maybe three loops but on it, this second one I've already gotten 5 and am not finished. It was digitized by Sharon Shombler and it is beautiful. Please help. The material and thread is too expensive for this to mess up.
Thanks,
Diane in NC

stitchnpatch

I've had lots of loops on the top of my embroideries - I use Isacord thread, also polyester like Floriana and have found that using thread nets over the cones and standing them on a separate thread stand nearly eliminates them all. On a bad day one or two still sneak in!

Vicki

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

Good catch Vicki - we use thread nets on the MB-4 for the same reason.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "stitchnpatch" <stitchnpatch@...> wrote:

I've had lots of loops on the top of my embroideries - I use Isacord thread, also polyester like Floriana and have found that using thread nets over the cones and standing them on a separate thread stand nearly eliminates them all. On a bad day one or two still sneak in!

Vicki

Virginia

I find with Hoopsisters designs if you put a layer of soft n sheer by sulky or a light permanent stabilizer in the quilt sandwich my embroidery gives me less issues.  What size blocks are you doing?  there are some stitch issues with the 5 and 6 inch blocks.

In a message dated 4/13/2013 7:01:23 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, mlcashman@... writes:

keep me posted - I am starting this Feathered Ferns class in 8 days - so excited

Mona

--- In janome12000@..., cladydi328@... wrote:

> Jim, Please help. I am embroidering a hoopsisters quilt. It is the star and feather(new one). Doing the embroidery I am starting to get loops on top. I have a new needle and have slowed down the machine. What else do I need to do? The embroidery on the first square had maybe three loops but on it, this second one I've already gotten 5 and am not finished. It was digitized by Sharon Shombler and it is beautiful. Please help. The material and thread is too expensive for this to mess up.
> Thanks,
> Diane in NC

monal

I think I will do the 8" blocks - I will be using warm and natural - not the batilizer and a lightweight cut away stabilizer. The batilizer is much too expensive for me at this time what with the cost of exchange etc (I live in Canada). I am using up my "stash of stabilizer and batting" as well as some of my materials. I did have to buy thread for the "C" colour but for all the rest well of course I will be using my stash.

Mona

mlcashman@... writes:

keep me posted - I am starting this Feathered Ferns class in 8 days - so > excited

Mona

--- In _janome12000@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:janome12000@yahoogroups.com) ,
cladydi328@ wrote:

Virginia

I have used "Cotton theory" Batting from Nancy's notions.  It is less expensive than the Battilizer, but not as wide.  I always use the soft and sheer.  good luck with your project

virginia

malehto

I just finished my first Hoopsisters quilt, the Feathered Star. I posted a picture in photos in the Mary's Creations album. Not the best picture but you get the idea. I did 9" blocks and did find some issues with one of the blocks. A quick call to Hoopsisters and they provided my class instructor with an updated file. I am ready to start another one. I like the idea of adding a layer of Soft N Sheer to the quilt sandwich.

Mary
Savannah TX

cladydi328@ wrote:

Jim, Please help. I am embroidering a hoopsisters quilt. It is the star
and feather(new one). Doing the embroidery I am starting to get loops on
top. I have a new needle and have slowed down the machine. What else do I
need to do? The embroidery on the first square had maybe three loops but on
it, this second one I've already gotten 5 and am not finished. It was
digitized by Sharon Shombler and it is beautiful. Please help. The material and
thread is too expensive for this to mess up.
Thanks,
Diane in NC

cladydi328@...

Mary,
I just looked at your picture. The quilt turned out beautiful. I'm stil having sum issues with looping. I ordered some maderia thread, hope this will help. I've used it before on the 12000 with no problem. I'll try the soft 'n sheer also.
Thanks,
Diane in NC

--- In janome12000@..., Fmjfrazier@... wrote:

> I find with Hoopsisters designs if you put a layer of soft n sheer by sulky
> or a light permanent stabilizer in the quilt sandwich my embroidery gives
> me less issues. What size blocks are you doing? there are some stitch
> issues with the 5 and 6 inch blocks.
>

> In a message dated 4/13/2013 7:01:23 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> mlcashman@... writes:
>

> keep me posted - I am starting this Feathered Ferns class in 8 days - so
> excited
>
> Mona
>
> --- In _janome12000@..._ (mailto:janome12000@...) ,
> cladydi328@ wrote:
> >

> > Jim, Please help. I am embroidering a hoopsisters quilt. It is the star
> and feather(new one). Doing the embroidery I am starting to get loops on
> top. I have a new needle and have slowed down the machine. What else do I
> need to do? The embroidery on the first square had maybe three loops but on
> it, this second one I've already gotten 5 and am not finished. It was
> digitized by Sharon Shombler and it is beautiful. Please help. The material and
> thread is too expensive for this to mess up.
> > Thanks,
> > Diane in NC

monal

Lovely - I like your choice of colours.

Mona

cladydi328@ wrote:

Jim, Please help. I am embroidering a hoopsisters quilt. It is the star
and feather(new one). Doing the embroidery I am starting to get loops on
top. I have a new needle and have slowed down the machine. What else do I
need to do? The embroidery on the first square had maybe three loops but on
it, this second one I've already gotten 5 and am not finished. It was
digitized by Sharon Shombler and it is beautiful. Please help. The material and
thread is too expensive for this to mess up.
Thanks,
Diane in NC

malehto

Hi Diane,
I used Robinson-Anton Rayon thread. I did find that I had to clean the machine after every 4 or 5 blocks as there was a lot of lint build up. And if I did not clean it, the stitching gave me fits, bobbin thread showing on top, loops, uneven tension. I also changed needles after about 8 to 10 blocks. Good luck. Can't wait to see a picture of your finished quilt.
Mary
Savannah, TX