From: "Katy McCue" <kmccue@mchsi.com>
To: <janome12000@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2013 10:54 PM
Subject: Re: [janome12000] Skipped Stitches

When this happened to me it was because I had broken a needle. The damage
done to the bobbin case created bumps and burrs in the plastic case. I tried
filing them down, but they were too severe. The thread kept getting caught
on the plastic as it came around the case. I finally had to get a new bobbin
case. Examine your case and try your embroidery case to see if your stitches
skip with it.

Sent from my iPad

Sure, it's definitely worth using the single hole plate for embroidery, but I don't think it is related at all to the thread nesting. If you compare machine sewing to hand sewing, imagine the process of pulling the thread to the top with your fingers. The take-up lever is your fingertips, and the tension is how tightly they are gripping the needle. Without holding the needle in your fingertips - you get a loop. Don't hold the needle tightly enough - you get a loop. Run the machine without the thread in the take-up lever, or with little to no tension, you get a lot of loops, aka a thread "nest". When the needle is coming up, the thread is tucked snugly into the groove at the back of the needle, so there is no "play" in the thread. That's why the size of the hole in the plate is not a factor, although using the single hole plate provides more support to the fabric, resulting in a better stitch.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Linda True Norman" <lindahome@...> wrote:

Also, when I was playing with the 12000 last weekend, I mentioned the
nesting under the needle plate/bobbin area, and Sue said it MIGHT be a
choice of needleplates. Use the single hole one instead of the wide hole
to give the thread less play coming up thru the needle plate and see if that
cures it. Worth a try?

Linda True Norman
ltrue@...
www.theyogaman.com/truecreations
When this happened to me it was because I had broken a needle. The damage
done to the bobbin case created bumps and burrs in the plastic case. I tried
filing them down, but they were too severe. The thread kept getting caught
on the plastic as it came around the case. I finally had to get a new bobbin
case. Examine your case and try your embroidery case to see if your stitches
skip with it.

Sent from my iPad

Alice Cromer <acromer@...>

Thanks for the responses to my post about thread nests.  I stitched out a sample this afternoon.  The thread was in the take up lever- yes all the way in.  I opened the door and looked.  I still got intermittent thread nests.

I am winding my own bobbins with Janome bobbin thread.  These are the bobbins  and thread that came with the machine.  I also tried Bottom Line in the bobbin.  I am using the embroidery bobbin case with the yellow dot.  It and the bobbin seem to be correctly in place.

I also use my 12000 for sewing and never have a problem.  In fact, I absolutely LOVE it.  I am an experienced quilter and machine embroiderer.  I just can’t figure out what’s going on here.  The machine will stitch perfectly then start “nesting” when you least expect it.

Thanks for your help.  I’m not giving up until I get this figured out.

Alice in Florida

--- In janome12000@..., "Linda True Norman" wrote:

> Also, when I was playing with the 12000 last weekend, I mentioned the
> nesting under the needle plate/bobbin area, and Sue said it MIGHT be a
> choice of needleplates. Use the single hole one instead of the wide hole
> to give the thread less play coming up thru the needle plate and see if that
> cures it. Worth a try?
>
> Linda True Norman
> ltrue@...
> www.theyogaman.com/truecreations

The fact that it sometimes stitches perfectly is an important clue. There are a couple of things that could cause this. First is stabilizer. Using one that is wrong for the fabric can lead to all sorts of stitch problems, including nesting. New embroiderers often use lightweight tear away for all projects, because it's inexpensive and easily removed. It also can be literally torn apart by stitching, causing problems. Try using a cut away, at least until you have learned what goes with what. Also make sure you are getting both fabric and stabilizer in the hoop. While it should not be "drum" tight, it also should not have a great deal of "flutter".

Also be advised that needle size matters. On designs with lots of dense or short stitches, a size 14 needle can lead to stitches that have both ends in the same hole, pulling out. This will cause nesting, among other things. If you are currently using purchased designs to learn your machine, stop. Use the built-in designs until you have arrived at perfect stitching, then move to the commercial ones. All designers are not created equal, and you'll learn that some are a lot better than others. Many a tear has been shed over a design that was faulty, leaving the purchaser to wrongly blame herself or her machine for the trouble.

Keep trying, and you'll get it. We're all more than willing to help, but when posting a problem do remember that we can't see it. Be VERY descriptive and include important things like the size and type of needle used, brand and weight of thread, source of the design, type of fabric, type of stabilizer and any other fact you might think of. The more you tell us, the better the answers you will get!

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com <mailto:janome12000%40yahoogroups.com> ,
[...]

vicki chrobak

One tiny little thing Alice: is your thread audibly "clicking" in between step 1 & 2? I lay my thread in at 1 then grab with my right hand to the right of 1 and hold until bringing over take-up lever at 4. That click is a must with these machines.
Vicki Jo

On 3/23/2013 5:26 PM, Alice Cromer wrote:

Thanks for the responses to my post about thread nests.  I stitched out a sample this afternoon.  The thread was in the take up lever- yes all the way in.  I opened the door and looked.  I still got intermittent thread nests.

I am winding my own bobbins with Janome bobbin thread.  These are the bobbins  and thread that came with the machine.  I also tried Bottom Line in the bobbin.  I am using the embroidery bobbin case with the yellow dot.  It and the bobbin seem to be correctly in place.

I also use my 12000 for sewing and never have a problem.  In fact, I absolutely LOVE it.  I am an experienced quilter and machine embroiderer.  I just can’t figure out what’s going on here.  The machine will stitch perfectly then start “nesting” when you least expect it.

Thanks for your help.  I’m not giving up until I get this figured out.

Estelle Torpy

Hi Alice,

I use the Janome Bobbin thread that came with the machine and wind my own bobbins for machine embroidery like you but I use the bobbin case with the red dot. I use the bobbin case with the yellow dot when I use pre-wound bobbins non-Janome bobbins. I don't know if that will make a difference but you said it stitches fine when you are doing construction sewing. Just a thought.

I hope you solve the nesting problem so you can be happily embroidering away.

Estelle

On Mar 24, 2013, at 9:21 AM, vicki chrobak wrote:

[...]

Glynnis Ballou

Alice - have you tried raising the height of the embroidery foot?  It may be getting stuck on some dense areas, leading to nesting.  Just a thought.

Glynnis in KY