thread

Sharon Moos <moos@...>

I try to use cotton thread for piecing since my fabrics are all cotton. The Superior Thread I purchased at PIQF is Masterpiece and had Alex Anderson's name on it so I thought it would be good. It was expensive. I was surprised it breaks so easily. It says it's extra-long Egyptian cotton.  Aurifil seems to work well. A local quilt shop carries Presencia which works well and is expensive for every day piecing.

What thread do you quilters use for piecing?

On Apr 28, 2012, at 6:08 AM, Jim_Stutsman wrote:

The "clunk" sound is normal, related to checking the bobbin. If the bobbin sensor were optical you wouldn't have the noise, but then it might not work when the bobbin area got linty.

Serger thread for piecing is not a great idea. It's fuzzy and makes a lot of lint, which will build up in the bobbin case tension area where it can eventually cause loss of tension. Superior makes a lot of different threads. What you want is called Bottom Line. It's a very strong polyester and it's also fine. More importantly, it's made from long fibers so it's smooth with very little lint.

--- In janome12000@..., "stresover" wrote:

> Is there a way I can stop the clunk every time I start sewing after stopping and not raising the presser foot? I assume not but thought I'd ask. The more features you get, the more clunks you get!
>
> Am using serger thread doing some piecing and the stitch isn't very good on the bottom. I bought some Superior Thread a few years ago and it broke as easy as serger thread so have been using serger thread sometimes for piecing. What do you think about serger thread for piecing? It's nice and thin to get an accurate seam allowance.

Laura Catto (Brayford)

I use Prescencia, Aurifil or Mettler Silk Finish...all meet my needs and work on my low end as well as my high end machines...

Laua

I try to use cotton thread for piecing since my fabrics are all cotton. The Superior Thread I purchased at PIQF is Masterpiece and had Alex Anderson's name on it so I thought it would be good. It was expensive. I was surprised it breaks so easily. It says it's extra-long Egyptian cotton.  Aurifil seems to work well. A local quilt shop carries Presencia which works well and is expensive for every day piecing.

What thread do you quilters use for piecing?

On Apr 28, 2012, at 6:08 AM, Jim_Stutsman wrote:

The "clunk" sound is normal, related to checking the bobbin. If the bobbin sensor were optical you wouldn't have the noise, but then it might not work when the bobbin area got linty.

Serger thread for piecing is not a great idea. It's fuzzy and makes a lot of lint, which will build up in the bobbin case tension area where it can eventually cause loss of tension. Superior makes a lot of different threads. What you want is called Bottom Line. It's a very strong polyester and it's also fine. More importantly, it's made from long fibers so it's smooth with very little lint.

--- In janome12000@..., "stresover" wrote:

> Is there a way I can stop the clunk every time I start sewing after stopping and not raising the presser foot? I assume not but thought I'd ask. The more features you get, the more clunks you get!
>
> Am using serger thread doing some piecing and the stitch isn't very good on the bottom. I bought some Superior Thread a few years ago and it broke as easy as serger thread so have been using serger thread sometimes for piecing. What do you think about serger thread for piecing? It's nice and thin to get an accurate seam allowance.

Sherry Martin

I tend to use Gutermann Sew-all thread (100% polyester) for piecing because it is readily available at Jo-Ann and if I get it on sale or with coupon not very expensive.

For quilting I like to use a shinier embroidery thread. I've been using Exquisite thread; which is a pretty inexpensive polyester embroidery thread. I never have trouble with it breaking while free-motion quilting. I haven't tried cotton thread for quilting on the 12000, but with other machines I had I always had a lot of trouble with cotton thread breaking during free-motion.

I've been told that you should use only cotton thread for quilting. It has something to do with having the strength of the thread and fabric you use being the same so they wear evenly. I don't know if this is really true, and since I'm not making heirloom quilts I don't worry about it too much. Personally I prefer a thread with more sheen.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "stresover" <moos@> wrote:

Is there a way I can stop the clunk every time I start sewing after stopping and not raising the presser foot? I assume not but thought I'd ask. The more features you get, the more clunks you get!

Am using serger thread doing some piecing and the stitch isn't very good on the bottom. I bought some Superior Thread a few years ago and it broke as easy as serger thread so have been using serger thread sometimes for piecing. What do you think about serger thread for piecing? It's nice and thin to get an accurate seam allowance.

Susan <sjspencer@...>

I've just had my machine a short while and haven't tried a lot of threads. I started with my favorite - Superior So Fine! 50 wt and so far, I haven't had a breaking problem, it's virtually lint free and because it doesn't have the "fuzz", I feel it doesn't take up as much fabric in a seam as cotton of the same weight. I also use this in the bobbin when piecing. I haven't tried free motion quilting on the MC12000 yet, but in my other machine (Juki 2010Q) I've used Superior Omni 40 wt (poly) which is made for longarm machines that sew at high speeds. I'm expecting that it will work well on the MC12000 too and when using Omni, I typically use the So Fine! in the bobbin. Omni is also a low-lint thread. I've done applique on the MC12000 using Superior's mono filament (invisible) thread in the top and the SoFine! in the bobbin - works beautifully! I've also used the Superior Bottom Line in the top for applique and So Fine! in the bobbin and it also worked beautifully. When I started researching threads for quilting and piecing, I too thought I had to use cotton. From what I've read, that is really not the case any more with the high quality polys made for quilters. In fact the So Fine! thread line is John Flynn's and he pieces and quilts with it all the time. Susan