UPS Backup / Surge Protector (not Serge protector) :)

loosethread101 <pfallert84@...>

We live in an area where we have electrical brownouts and blackouts.
How large of a UPS should we buy to plug in the Horizon 12000?

Paul

Maria Boyle

Hello Paul,

As long as its a UPS it doesn't matter. The difference in each is the amount of time it stays powered up during a power outrage. The important thing is that you have time to turn your machine off without damage.

María

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 1, 2012, at 12:06 PM, "loosethread101" <pfallert84@msn.com> wrote:

We live in an area where we have electrical brownouts and blackouts.
How large of a UPS should we buy to plug in the Horizon 12000?

Paul

loosethread101 <pfallert84@...>

Thank you for your quick response.

However, if the capacity of the UPS is insufficient to run the Horizon 12000 while it is embroidering, then the arrangement will fail.

According to the H12000 nameplate, it says 1.15 amps at 120V, which is 138 Watts. If that is true, then the smallest UPS will suffice for at least a few minutes. 138 Watts does not seem to be enough since it is little more than a 100 Watt light bulb.

On the other hand, if it truly only needs 138 watts, then the H12000 might be able to complete a small project before the UPS is exhausted.

So, the real question is:

Does the Horizon 12000 really only need 138 watts to run as an embroidery machine?

Paul

Donna Morton

My 11000 ran on a UPS long enough to safely shut down when we had a power outage.  The 12000 however, stopped almost immediately even though plugged into a similar UPS.

DonnaM
Canada

Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2012 9:44 AM
Subject: [janome12000] Re: UPS Backup / Surge Protector (not Serge protector) :)

Thank you for your quick response.

However, if the capacity of the UPS is insufficient to run the Horizon 12000 while it is embroidering, then the arrangement will fail.

According to the H12000 nameplate, it says 1.15 amps at 120V, which is 138 Watts. If that is true, then the smallest UPS will suffice for at least a few minutes. 138 Watts does not seem to be enough since it is little more than a 100 Watt light bulb.

On the other hand, if it truly only needs 138 watts, then the H12000 might be able to complete a small project before the UPS is exhausted.

So, the real question is:

Does the Horizon 12000 really only need 138 watts to run as an embroidery machine?

Paul

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

Internally the 12000 uses DC voltage, 20V and lower. The electronics don't use much power, so it's mainly the motor that uses the most. I would hazard a guess that it's close to a full amp of the 1.15 amp draw. UPS ratings are in terms of Volt-Amps, which isn't quite the same thing as watts, but it's close enough. So you are correct that the smallest size, usually about 350VA, would be good enough to keep it alive long enough for an orderly shutdown. The main concern is whether it can take the load of the equipment when not on the battery. I once had a client who decided to hook up 4 computers to a single UPS. By the time the last one got turned on, it blew the fuse in the UPS due to overloading its capacity. In this case I think you'll be good with a 350, but I might go 550 just to be extra sure.