Clear adhesive we have to put on the left side of needle plate

janetpiekarski

Just a reminder to all of you who want to put that plastic "stuff" over the bed of your machine, when you do free motion it will create drag. So if you do a lot of free motion stitching, this might not be the best idea.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "sharon.hedt" <shedt@...> wrote:

Have just cut down a spare iPad cover to 8.5cm x 21 cm - the size of the metal plate on the right side of the needle and even though it's a static cling ( I think) and it has adhered quite well. Couple of small air bubbles but I'm not worried about that....also maybe not quite as slippery as the little piece of clear adhesive we got with our machine..
Edges seem to be pretty flat and didn't lift when I ran my hand over it..so will leave it there and trial it.
Hope this helps
Sharon

Oh and I can get 2 protectors for the machine from one iPad screen protector sheet!

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Jim_Stutsman" <jim@> wrote:

I'm sure you could cut that down to fit. Many of the screen protectors use a "static cling" effect to hold them on the screen, which would not work on the surface of the machine. Sticky plastics, like the ruler things mentioned, would stay on but will leave a mess when removed. Also sticky edges tend to collect thread and lint, leaving furry edges.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "sharon.hedt" <shedt@> wrote:

Hi Kris
How about the screen protectors used for iPads? I am at work at present (nurse on night duty) but I suspect that it would work...and when scratched would be easily replaced!
Cheers
Sharon - also from Aus!

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "kkrissyb" <krissy.b@> wrote
I was wondering if it is possible to get more of that clear adhesive that came with the machine to protect the metal from the hoop. I do a lot of sewing and use a lot of pins and I can see scratches on the steel plate on the right side of the needle plate already :(

I would like to get some more protective adhesive to cover this side of the plate also

Kris in Aus who loves her 12000

kkrissyb <krissy.b@...>

Thanks to Jim and everyone who suggested ideas for the machine. Think I will try the ipad cover cut down to begin with.

I will definitely be getting the next Janome whatever it is called...........but want to keep this one looking really good so that when the time comes I can sell it while it still looks good. I find that I get a better deal if I buy the new machine without a trade in.

Kris in Aus who has just been sewing with her coverpro1000cpx which is her second love LOL

sharon.hedt

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

[...]

Karen

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "kkrissyb" <krissy.b@...> wrote:

I was wondering if it is possible to get more of that clear adhesive that came with the machine to protect the metal from the hoop. I do a lot of sewing and use a lot of pins and I can see scratches on the steel plate on the right side of the needle plate already :(

I would like to get some more protective adhesive to cover this side of the plate also

Kris in Aus who loves her 12000
What about using the clear plastic that you can put on the back of your rulers for rotary cutting so your rulers don't slide when cutting?

sharon.hedt

Hi Kris
How about the screen protectors used for iPads? I am at work at present (nurse on night duty) but I suspect that it would work...and when scratched would be easily replaced!
Cheers
Sharon - also from Aus!

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "kkrissyb" <krissy.b@> wrote

I was wondering if it is possible to get more of that clear adhesive that came with the machine to protect the metal from the hoop. I do a lot of sewing and use a lot of pins and I can see scratches on the steel plate on the right side of the needle plate already :(

I would like to get some more protective adhesive to cover this side of the plate also

Kris in Aus who loves her 12000

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

The clear covering that came on your machine was just packaging. After a few weeks of use it would start to fray and tear. Something more substantial is needed to protect the surface from pins, zippers, and other objects of destruction. This company makes a product that is used by the military to protect helicopter blades from shrapnel in battle:
http://www.zagg.com
They also make a product called "Invisible Shield" for protecting phone and computer screens. That's the type of material that is needed. They only make pre-cut kits to exactly fit specific devices, but you might contact them to see whether they could make it available in sheet form.

On the other hand, the machines are made to be used. While the steel surface may build up a scratch or six, it's far more durable than the early 6500 machines that started dropping paint flakes within weeks of purchase. I suspect most of us on the list remember "back in the day" (translation: 50s & 60s) when mothers encased their furniture in plastic to protect it from the ravages of, well, us. It was no fun to sit on, looked weird, and the fad didn't last that long. I think covering our machine surfaces is akin to that. It comes down to whether you plan to replace your machine when the 13000 (or whatever) comes out in 5 years. If this is truly your "last" machine (and perhaps you've already bought your last machine 3 or 4 times!) then why not just use it and not worry about a few scratches?