VM Fusion help

Liz

Thank you to Jim & everyone who replied to my question. I will give it some more thought & then decide. Liz

Andrea LaVergne

I have no problem with my Mac and Fusion/XP talking to my 12000 now that Jim helped get me the right program to make the update work.
Andrea of Ca

Lee Beasley <slpslee@...>

Oh, good. Stitch Buddy is my first choice for Mac embroidery software. I'm a big fan and have been for years. Thanks! Since Embrilliance has a text edit feature and can be bought in the App Store, I run it, too. Frankly, I'd rather run anything than the Windows OS and software, so I'm undoubtedly a little less choosy.

Lee B.

Sent from my iPad

StitchBuddy was the first 3rd party program to support the 12000.

Pinguin

Hi Jim,
thanks. My machine was already updated when I bought it but I never thought of updating the software I installed on my Mac.
I will give it certainly a try and let you know if it works.
Gerda

Op 12-01-12 21:19, Jim_Stutsman schreef:

Janome supports 64-bit operation of Horizon Link, but the program itself is 32-bit. The problem with communication could be due to software versions. The machine has been updated to version 1.01 and Horizon Link is also at 1.01. If you have not updated both, you can find the files you need here:
Machine Update - http://www.janome.co.jp/e/e_downloads/mc12000v101.html
Horizon Line Update - http://www.janome.co.jp/e/e_downloads/horizon_link_v101.html

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "pinguin60@..." <pinguin60@...> wrote:

[...]

StitchBuddy was the first 3rd party program to support the 12000. The current version is really nice, with more features including a fun stitch simulator. I wasn't much impressed with Embrilliance Essentials, so I have no idea whether they support the 12000.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, Lee Beasley <slpslee@...> wrote:

Oh, interesting! Well, that would certainly color your choice right there. ;)

I use it to run Ubuntu on my Mac. There's a real advantage there, because Linux distros are updated often, and I quickly got tired of buying a newer version of Fusion or Parallels just to get the virtual tools working again, where VB updates are frequent, dependable, and free. I'm really not a Windows user so I didn't know about that limitation.

Do you know if the 12000 is supported by Stitch Buddy or Embrilliance Essentials? The one local shop that sells Janomes doesn't have any Mac users among their number, and I haven't gotten that serious yet to contact the software vendors. It certainly has a lot of interesting features. I'm still at the "drooling over the brochure" stage at the moment.

Lee B.

Sent from my iPad
Back then it simply did not work with Janome's Digitizer software.

Pinguin

[...]

I haven't used Virtual Box in nearly two years. Back then it simply did not work with Janome's Digitizer software. They've had plenty of time to fix it, so I'll give it another shot when I get the time.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, Lee Beasley <slpslee@...> wrote:

I'm new here, and you're all a wealth of knowledge on the new Janome (a big thanks!), but here's just a shameless plug for VirtualBox if you want to run a virtual machine environment on a Mac. It's free and every bit as easy to install as Fusion or Parallels, and it has the advantage of offering free updates, as opposed to nickel-and-diming you to death with paid upgrades every time you turn around. Personally, I keep a cheap old Windows laptop around just to run my few remaining Windows embroidery software packages, but there's nothing wrong with running a virtual machine on a Mac, for sure. ;)

Lee B.

Sent from my iPad
read about "VMware Converter" to bundle up Windows PC

Lee Beasley <slpslee@...>

I'm new here, and you're all a wealth of knowledge on the new Janome (a big thanks!), but here's just a shameless plug for VirtualBox if you want to run a virtual machine environment on a Mac. It's free and every bit as easy to install as Fusion or Parallels, and it has the advantage of offering free updates, as opposed to nickel-and-diming you to death with paid upgrades every time you turn around. Personally, I keep a cheap old Windows laptop around just to run my few remaining Windows embroidery software packages, but there's nothing wrong with running a virtual machine on a Mac, for sure. ;)

Lee B.

Sent from my iPad

 read about "VMware Converter" to bundle up Windows PC

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

Yes, I do use VMware Fusion for running Windows on my Mac. I've been using it for 5 years now, and couldn't be happier. The VMware Converter *can* convert a running PC to a Fusion virtual machine, BUT there are some considerations:

If the computer to be migrated is using an OEM copy of Windows, you cannot convert it. What is OEM? That stands for "Original Equipment Manufacturer". In those computers the Windows is licensed for use on that exact computer ONLY. You cannot use it on any other computer. How do you know if you have an OEM computer? If it's a Dell, HP, Toshiba, or Sony it's OEM. If it has a sticker on it with the Windows serial number, it's OEM. As you can see, MOST computers sold use OEM Windows and will not convert.

Now here's where it gets weird. If you cannot convert your current computer, you must buy a copy of Windows. The cheapest type of Windows is an OEM copy? What???? Yes, OEM, but in this case YOU are the manufacturer. Microsoft's licensing says that OEM copies can only be sold with hardware. Their intent was to make it available to hobbyists who want to build their own computer. The mail order guys quickly figured out that "hardware" could be anything. So when you buy an OEM copy of Windows there will be a small screw in the box. That's the hardware.

If you do manage to convert a running PC, there is the problem of Windows Activation. In order to combat piracy, Microsoft requires new Windows installations to be "activated". They do a very complex series of computations to record all the hardware in your computer into a large number. Activation causes that number, and your Windows serial number, to be sent to Microsoft. They look it up in a database to make sure that the serial number is valid. If it is, they see if it has been installed before. If it has, they check the hardware "magic number" to see if the hardware is different from the original installation. If it has changed they will send back a long series of number to your screen, along with a phone number that goes to a call center. The call center will grill you to make sure you are installing it on the same computer, or if you have a generic "boxed" copy that you are replacing the computer with a new one. Then they will give you a different long number that you key in and you are activated. They will almost always approve the activation, so it's just an annoying step that you have to go through.

That's probably more than anyone wants to know, so if you have further questions just email me off list. Moving to a Mac is well worth doing and I'm always willing to help folks get there.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Liz" <dse7sew@...> wrote:

Jim I want to use my Mac for Embroidery software, I read about "VMware Converter" to bundle up Windows PC and it sends it all over to the Mac in one go. Just wondering if you know anything about this. Also I assume you have to have VM Fusion installed on the Mac before doing so.
Thanks for any info. Liz

Liz