Paypal Re: drum roll please :)

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

No, I do not know any of the parties in question, but it has been widely distributed to newspapers all over the world. Here are two:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jan/04/paypal-buyer-destroys-violin?newsfeed=true

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jan/04/paypal-buyer-destroys-violin?newsfeed=true

And with that I pronounce the whole PayPal topic well and truly CLOSED!

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "pinguin60@..." <pinguin60@...> wrote:

Hi Jim,

you wrote:
Even worse is what happened to a young lady who sold a violin on eBay
with PayPal (owned by eBay) payment. The buyer decided he didn't want
it. She asked him to ship it back, and offered to pay for it. He
contacted PayPal to cancel the sale. They said they could only do that
if he provided proof it was damaged, so he smashed it to bits and sent
them the picture. The seller is now out both her violin and $2,000.

Do you know this young lady personally? Or did you hear it as a story as
it might be just an urban legend.

Because in this case Paypal was right to refuse to refund as there was
nothing wrong with the sale. The right thing would have been that the
lady had paid the amount back to her seller through Paypal. No need to
smash a violin for that.

Gerda

Pinguin

Thanks for this info. I hope the lady got her money back after this... cause I  think the buyer who destroyed the violin was at fault, he made a poor choice in order to get his money.
Gerda

Op 11-01-12 13:06, Keeps Me in Stitches schreef:

Gerda-

Although it does sound like an Urban Legend, this a particular story made the national news.  They had pictures of the violin and a violin expert on NBC talking about it.

Mary Kay

From: janome12000@... [mailto:janome12000@...] On Behalf Of pingui

Keeps Me in Stitches

Gerda-

Although it does sound like an Urban Legend, this a particular story made the national news.  They had pictures of the violin and a violin expert on NBC talking about it.

Mary Kay

From: janome12000@... [mailto:janome12000@...] On Behalf Of pinguin60@...
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 1:48 AM
To: janome12000@...
Subject: [janome12000] Paypal Re: drum roll please :)

Hi Jim,

you wrote:
Even worse is what happened to a young lady who sold a violin on eBay with PayPal (owned by eBay) payment. The buyer decided he didn't want it. She asked him to ship it back, and offered to pay for it. He contacted PayPal to cancel the sale. They said they could only do that if he provided proof it was damaged, so he smashed it to bits and sent them the picture. The seller is now out both her violin and $2,000.

Do you know this young lady personally? Or did you hear it as a story as it might be just an urban legend.

Because in this case Paypal was right to refuse to refund as there was nothing wrong with the sale. The right thing would have been that the lady had paid the amount back to her seller through Paypal. No need to smash a violin for that.

Gerda

Pinguin

Hi Jim,

you wrote:
Even worse is what happened to a young lady who sold a violin on eBay with PayPal (owned by eBay) payment. The buyer decided he didn't want it. She asked him to ship it back, and offered to pay for it. He contacted PayPal to cancel the sale. They said they could only do that if he provided proof it was damaged, so he smashed it to bits and sent them the picture. The seller is now out both her violin and $2,000.

Do you know this young lady personally? Or did you hear it as a story as it might be just an urban legend.

Because in this case Paypal was right to refuse to refund as there was nothing wrong with the sale. The right thing would have been that the lady had paid the amount back to her seller through Paypal. No need to smash a violin for that.

Gerda