A word of caution


Cheryl Paul
 

Merry Christmas everyone!

I went to hem a pair of pants this morning and discovered that I had very few options to sew. Of course I went into panic mode and wrote a nice long question for the forum to try to help me. I phoned a friend to get a few short words to describe the free motion stitch - the squiggle kind and SHE SOLVED my problem. In case this happens to any of you REMEMBER that the needle/throat plate needs to be changed after your are finished embroidery and want to do regular sewing. Now I can hem those pants to wear for Christmas.

Again - a very Blessed and Happy Christmas to all.

Cheryl - Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada


vicki chrobak
 

Cheryl, I found some cheap key rings/luggage tags with a label & labeled 1 "zigzag/regular", the other "straight stitch/embroidery". I hang the appropriate one on Jim's metallic thread holder to remind me which set-up I'm on.

--
Vicki Jo



I went to hem a pair of pants this morning and discovered that I had
very few options to sew. Of course I went into panic mode and wrote a
nice long question for the forum to try to help me. I phoned a friend
to get a few short words to describe the free motion stitch - the
squiggle kind and SHE SOLVED my problem. In case this happens to any of
you REMEMBER that the needle/throat plate needs to be changed after
your are finished embroidery and want to do regular sewing. Now I can
hem those pants to wear for Christmas.



Again - a very Blessed and Happy Christmas to all.



Cheryl - Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada


janetpiekarski
 

Actually, you don't HAVE to change that throat plate back after embroidering. You can do straight stitching AND free motioning stitching. It's a great feature if you're stitching on sheer or flimsy fabric-less chance of getting sucked down into the bobbin area. The fact that many stitches (actually, any that have width) are grayed out, should be enough of an indication that the straight stitch throat plate is in.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, vicki chrobak <tulsajo1@...> wrote:

Cheryl, I found some cheap key rings/luggage tags with a label & labeled
1 "zigzag/regular", the other "straight stitch/embroidery". I hang the
appropriate one on Jim's metallic thread holder to remind me which
set-up I'm on.

--
Vicki Jo



I went to hem a pair of pants this morning and discovered that I had
very few options to sew. Of course I went into panic mode and wrote a
nice long question for the forum to try to help me. I phoned a friend
to get a few short words to describe the free motion stitch - the
squiggle kind and SHE SOLVED my problem. In case this happens to any of
you REMEMBER that the needle/throat plate needs to be changed after
your are finished embroidery and want to do regular sewing. Now I can
hem those pants to wear for Christmas.



Again - a very Blessed and Happy Christmas to all.



Cheryl - Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada


vicki chrobak
 

But  for me, it's also a reminder for bobbin holder as well as plate.  If there is ANY room for a booboo, I can do it!
-- 
Vicki Jo

Actually, you don't HAVE to change that throat plate back after 
embroidering.  You can do straight stitching AND free motioning 
stitching.  It's a great feature if you're stitching on sheer or flimsy 
fabric-less chance of getting sucked down into the bobbin area.  The 
fact that many stitches (actually, any that have width) are grayed out, 
should be enough of an indication that the straight stitch throat plate 
is in.



--- In janome12000@..., vicki chrobak  wrote:

>

> Cheryl, I found some cheap key rings/luggage tags with a label & labeled 

> 1  "zigzag/regular", the other "straight stitch/embroidery".  I hang the 

> appropriate one on Jim's metallic thread holder to remind me which 

> set-up I'm on.

> 


Sherry Martin
 

Yes, I also forget the bobbin holder. It seems like with all the bells and whistles this machine has, maybe they could come up with an automatic bobbin holder and needle plate changer (ha ha). I would prefer a really good looking guy who just stands in the corner until I get done embroidering and then comes over and changes them for me while I admire him. Is that too much to hope for?

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, vicki chrobak <tulsajo1@...> wrote:

But for me, it's also a reminder for bobbin holder as well as plate.
If there is ANY room for a booboo, I can do it!

--
Vicki Jo

Actually, you don't HAVE to change that throat plate back after
embroidering. You can do straight stitching AND free motioning
stitching. It's a great feature if you're stitching on sheer or flimsy
fabric-less chance of getting sucked down into the bobbin area. The
fact that many stitches (actually, any that have width) are grayed out,
should be enough of an indication that the straight stitch throat plate
is in.



--- Injanome12000@yahoogroups.com <mailto:janome12000%40yahoogroups.com>, vicki chrobak<tulsajo1@> wrote:

Cheryl, I found some cheap key rings/luggage tags with a label& labeled
1 "zigzag/regular", the other "straight stitch/embroidery". I hang the
appropriate one on Jim's metallic thread holder to remind me which
set-up I'm on.


vicki chrobak
 

Hey Cheryl, it's Christmas. Maybe Santa hears our wishes, tee-hee).

--
Vicki Jo

Yes, I also forget the bobbin holder. It seems like with all the bells
and whistles this machine has, maybe they could come up with an
automatic bobbin holder and needle plate changer (ha ha). I would
prefer a really good looking guy who just stands in the corner until I
get done embroidering and then comes over and changes them for me while I
admire him. Is that too much to hope for?


Cheryl Paul
 

Hi All,

Well, I'm turkeyed out and the kids that live in town went home to put little ones to bed early, just one family here with their 2 little ones. I haven't turned my sewing machine since Saturday, but I do have a repair for my 4 grandchildren that live 3 doors away. Their dolly tent needs re-enforcing to hold the rods in place so that it will stand on it's own. Put together with cheap thin paper like fabric.

The handsome guy would be great, to change the bobbin and throat plate and clean the lint out of the machine. I did find out that that throat plate would work very well for centre straight stitching and free motion, but I wanted to use the blind hem and I was so frustrated. If I hadn't called a friend to ask her what that squiggle stitch was called, I would have felt very foolish and may not have got those pants hemmed on my 12000. I was ready to thread up the 7700 and do it, when my friend suggested the needle plate. I really felt silly then, but was able to do the job then. It was a lesson well learned. Actually, this was the first time that I changed the needle plate for embroidery. I did a huge 125 embroidery with the regular needle plate and regular bobbin, as I used Janome's pre-wound bobbins.

Jim, how important is it that we change the needle plate to do embroidery? I don't want to break anything in the machine, but I found that the machine worked well with both needle plates for the embroidery, through ignorance and forgetfulness.

Cheryl

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, vicki chrobak <tulsajo1@...> wrote:

Hey Cheryl, it's Christmas. Maybe Santa hears our wishes, tee-hee).

--
Vicki Jo

Yes, I also forget the bobbin holder. It seems like with all the bells
and whistles this machine has, maybe they could come up with an
automatic bobbin holder and needle plate changer (ha ha). I would
prefer a really good looking guy who just stands in the corner until I
get done embroidering and then comes over and changes them for me while I
admire him. Is that too much to hope for?


Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>
 

Considering that this is the first combination sewing/embroidery machine that Janome has sold with a single hole plate, I don't think changing it is critical. Like you, we've done embroidery using the standard plate (and standard bobbin case) and it's been fine. It's nice to have the option of a single hole plate, especially when piecing quilts that have points on the ends of the pieces, but I don't think it's critical for embroidery.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Cheryl" <capaul@...> wrote:
Jim, how important is it that we change the needle plate to do embroidery? I don't want to break anything in the machine, but I found that the machine worked well with both needle plates for the embroidery, through ignorance and forgetfulness.

Cheryl


janetpiekarski
 

That bobbin case for embroidery is not necessary if you're using Janome bobbin thread the tension on the case is too much. I think in the book it tell you that you only use it when using the thinner (like the MB-4 bobbin thread) bobbin threads. Other brands may be thinner too. I used it with the Janome bobbin thread and it WAS too much tension. (Hah, it does make the bobbin thread last forever)

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Sherry Martin" <shejmartin@...> wrote:

Yes, I also forget the bobbin holder. It seems like with all the bells and whistles this machine has, maybe they could come up with an automatic bobbin holder and needle plate changer (ha ha). I would prefer a really good looking guy who just stands in the corner until I get done embroidering and then comes over and changes them for me while I admire him. Is that too much to hope for?

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, vicki chrobak <tulsajo1@> wrote:

But for me, it's also a reminder for bobbin holder as well as plate.
If there is ANY room for a booboo, I can do it!

--
Vicki Jo

Actually, you don't HAVE to change that throat plate back after
embroidering. You can do straight stitching AND free motioning
stitching. It's a great feature if you're stitching on sheer or flimsy
fabric-less chance of getting sucked down into the bobbin area. The
fact that many stitches (actually, any that have width) are grayed out,
should be enough of an indication that the straight stitch throat plate
is in.



--- Injanome12000@yahoogroups.com <mailto:janome12000%40yahoogroups.com>, vicki chrobak<tulsajo1@> wrote:

Cheryl, I found some cheap key rings/luggage tags with a label& labeled
1 "zigzag/regular", the other "straight stitch/embroidery". I hang the
appropriate one on Jim's metallic thread holder to remind me which
set-up I'm on.


Sherry Martin
 

I tried both the regular bobbin case and the embroidery bobbin case with Janome bobbin thread (I pretty much only use Janome). To me I thought the embroidery bobbin case combined with the straight stich plate looked a little nicer on the back of the fabric. I didn't notice much difference on the front.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "janetpiekarski" <jsm1144@...> wrote:

That bobbin case for embroidery is not necessary if you're using Janome bobbin thread the tension on the case is too much. I think in the book it tell you that you only use it when using the thinner (like the MB-4 bobbin thread) bobbin threads. Other brands may be thinner too. I used it with the Janome bobbin thread and it WAS too much tension. (Hah, it does make the bobbin thread last forever)

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Sherry Martin" <shejmartin@> wrote:

Yes, I also forget the bobbin holder. It seems like with all the bells and whistles this machine has, maybe they could come up with an automatic bobbin holder and needle plate changer (ha ha). I would prefer a really good looking guy who just stands in the corner until I get done embroidering and then comes over and changes them for me while I admire him. Is that too much to hope for?

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, vicki chrobak <tulsajo1@> wrote:

But for me, it's also a reminder for bobbin holder as well as plate.
If there is ANY room for a booboo, I can do it!

--
Vicki Jo

Actually, you don't HAVE to change that throat plate back after
embroidering. You can do straight stitching AND free motioning
stitching. It's a great feature if you're stitching on sheer or flimsy
fabric-less chance of getting sucked down into the bobbin area. The
fact that many stitches (actually, any that have width) are grayed out,
should be enough of an indication that the straight stitch throat plate
is in.



--- Injanome12000@yahoogroups.com <mailto:janome12000%40yahoogroups.com>, vicki chrobak<tulsajo1@> wrote:

Cheryl, I found some cheap key rings/luggage tags with a label& labeled
1 "zigzag/regular", the other "straight stitch/embroidery". I hang the
appropriate one on Jim's metallic thread holder to remind me which
set-up I'm on.