How Much Top Thread Should Show on Underside of Embroidery?

m1955seamstress

Hi,
I should already know the answer to this question, but I was having trouble with the tension on my 12000. I just got it back and think it is ok now. However, I was told by another 12000 owner that she never has any top thread showing on the underside of her embroidery.

I was told by my dealer and also a lady who works for him on two separate occasions that there will be some of the top thread pulled to the underside.

The top side looks good and no bobbin thread showing.

If anyone can post pictures of what is normal, I'd appreciate it. I looked back at some of my embroidery I did with my 11000 and it too showed some top thread pulled to the underside. Perhaps I was doing something wrong even with my 11000, but looks good on the top side on those too!

Thanks for any advice you can supply!

Marla

Judy <judyjanome@...>

I did a in the machine daisy design last night in the 5 by 5 hoop. It stitched out beautifully. There was absolutely no puckers at all and the machine is so quiet. However there was very little bobbin thread showing on the back just the top thread, and there was no bobbin thread on the top. I used Janome bobbin thread and the single hole needle plate. Bobbin case was the yellow dot case which I believe should have been the other one but I am having a hard time remembering that part. Judy

Sent from my iPhone

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

A simple "rule of thumb" is 1/3 - 1/3 - 1/3 of top - bobbin - top thread. If you are not using Janome bobbin thread you should use the yellow dot case and you should get the 'thirds' result.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "m1955seamstress" <m1955seamstress@...> wrote:

[...]

Sherry Martin

I looked at the several little applique projects I did that I talked about in my earlier post (What I Love About Embroidery on this machine).

The ones I did without the yellow bobbin and without straight stitch plate had bobbin thread showing on both the top and the bottom. On the bottom all I could see was bobbin thread.

The ones I did with yellow bobbin and straight stitch plate looked really really good on top and on the bottom mostly just top thread showed with just a little bobbin thread.

Since this was applique these were heavy satin stitches only.

As long as it is looking good on top and there is no puckering, I'm not really concerned how it is looking on the bottom.

[...]

Thanks, that's what I think too! I was having tension problems with my new 12000, but seems fine now.

--- In janome12000@..., "m1955seamstress" wrote:

> Hi,
> I should already know the answer to this question, but I was having trouble with the tension on my 12000. I just got it back and think it is ok now. However, I was told by another 12000 owner that she never has any top thread showing on the underside of her embroidery.
>
> I was told by my dealer and also a lady who works for him on two separate occasions that there will be some of the top thread pulled to the underside.
>
> The top side looks good and no bobbin thread showing.
>
> If anyone can post pictures of what is normal, I'd appreciate it. I looked back at some of my embroidery I did with my 11000 and it too showed some top thread pulled to the underside. Perhaps I was doing something wrong even with my 11000, but looks good on the top side on those too!
>
> Thanks for any advice you can supply!
>
> Marla

m1955seamstress

Jim,
So does this mean 1/3 of top thread on either side of design with 1/3 of bobbin thread showing in the center on the back side of design? If so, my embroidery now that my dealer adjusted the tensions is great!

Thanks,
Marla

A simple "rule of thumb" is 1/3 - 1/3 - 1/3 of top - bobbin - top thread. If you are not using Janome bobbin thread you should use the yellow dot case and you should get the 'thirds' result.

--- In janome12000@..., "m1955seamstress" wrote:

> Hi,
> I should already know the answer to this question, but I was having trouble with the tension on my 12000. I just got it back and think it is ok now. However, I was told by another 12000 owner that she never has any top thread showing on the underside of her embroidery.
>
> I was told by my dealer and also a lady who works for him on two separate occasions that there will be some of the top thread pulled to the underside.
>
> The top side looks good and no bobbin thread showing.
>
> If anyone can post pictures of what is normal, I'd appreciate it. I looked back at some of my embroidery I did with my 11000 and it too showed some top thread pulled to the underside. Perhaps I was doing something wrong even with my 11000, but looks good on the top side on those too!
>
> Thanks for any advice you can supply!
>
> Marla

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

Yes, on the back the ideal mix is two strips of needle thread with a strip of bobbin up the middle, with all 3 strips about the same width. Sounds like yours is spot on!

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, Marla Cooprider <m1955seamstress@...> wrote:

Jim,
So does this mean 1/3 of top thread on either side of design with 1/3 of bobbin thread showing in the center on the back side of design? If so, my embroidery now that my dealer adjusted the tensions is great!

Thanks,
Marla

m1955seamstress

Thanks! My dealer really spent a lot of time on the tension issues! So glad to have my machine back!