Memory Stick

Sherry Martin

Does anyone know what the maximum size memory stick you can use for the 12000 is? I was told once that the maximum size for the 11000 was 4mb which is pretty small; I never verified if this was actually true or not.

Donna Morton

The maximum size USB stick is “unlimited”.  We were told this in a Janome Canada meeting directly by the engineer who worked on this on the 12000. 

Donna M
Canada

Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 9:38 AM
Subject: [janome12000] Memory Stick

Does anyone know what the maximum size memory stick you can use for the 12000 is? I was told once that the maximum size for the 11000 was 4mb which is pretty small; I never verified if this was actually true or not.

Virginia

I was never able to use anything but a 2gb in my 11,000SE maybe it has changed.

Cheryl Paul

Hi,

What my dealer told me was to NEVER use a large USB. The processors in our sewing machines don't like them. Also remember that the larger they are the longer it will take to load designs into the machine. Why on earth would you want to put more than a few designs to stitch out on a USB anyway. You can only do on design at a time. If you must have a very large memory USB, use it to store the designs as a backup for your computer.

After saying all that, I helped a lady with a MC10000, so out of date that I didn't even recognize what the files were on her PC Card. She had the whole Stitchitize 3000 designs on that one card or perhaps 2. I was horrified that she had been stitching away for years. I had her machine upgraded to the version 3 so that I could help her as she does not have a computer. Go figure BUT her card was a 256mb as that machine doesn't use USB's.

Still, my advise is to stay small, it's easier on the processor in your expensive embroidery machine. My dealer also sells Pfaff, Bernina and Babylock and she says that they all prefer the smaller memory devices.

Cheryl

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, Fmjfrazier@... wrote:

I was never able to use anything but a 2gb in my 11,000SE maybe it has
changed.

Donna Morton

Hi Cheryl

What you say is very true about the earlier Janome embroidery machines – small is better—but that is not the case with the 12000.  As I mentioned, the software engineer right from Janome Japan attended our meeting at Institute and told us that the size of the USB stick on the 12000 is no longer an issue.  The processor is quite different than earlier machines.  Owners can use any size they wish.  The only thing I would add is that any software that comes on the larger capacity USB sticks must be removed.

Donna M
Canada

Sent: Thursday, December 08, 2011 7:58 AM
Subject: [janome12000] Re: Memory Stick

Hi,

What my dealer told me was to NEVER use a large USB. The processors in our sewing machines don't like them. Also remember that the larger they are the longer it will take to load designs into the machine. Why on earth would you want to put more than a few designs to stitch out on a USB anyway. You can only do on design at a time. If you must have a very large memory USB, use it to store the designs as a backup for your computer.

After saying all that, I helped a lady with a MC10000, so out of date that I didn't even recognize what the files were on her PC Card. She had the whole Stitchitize 3000 designs on that one card or perhaps 2. I was horrified that she had been stitching away for years. I had her machine upgraded to the version 3 so that I could help her as she does not have a computer. Go figure BUT her card was a 256mb as that machine doesn't use USB's.

Still, my advise is to stay small, it's easier on the processor in your expensive embroidery machine. My dealer also sells Pfaff, Bernina and Babylock and she says that they all prefer the smaller memory devices.

Cheryl

--- In mailto:janome12000%40yahoogroups.com, Fmjfrazier@... wrote:
>
> I was never able to use anything but a 2gb in my 11,000SE maybe it has
> changed.
>

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

The logic behind using small capacity memory devices has to do with how the devices are formatted in Windows. Models prior to the 12000 use the original Microsoft disk formatting scheme, whic is only good upto 2GB. That's why it was necessary to stay at 2GB or below. However the "normal" (meaning non-sewing) use of USB and CompactFlash memory is photos and data storage, where users want bigger amounts of memory. Consequently the devices get bigger and bigger, and the small ones are a lot harder to find. In the days of the 10000 we couldn't fill 8MB, and you'll never fill 8GB, but that just may be the smallest you can find!

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Cheryl" <capaul@...> wrote:

Hi,

Cheryl

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, Fmjfrazier@ wrote:

I was never able to use anything but a 2gb in my 11,000SE maybe it has
changed.

dkuhlman4891

When I attended Artistic Sewing Suite training last year, the Janome instructor told me to never go bigger than 1 gig. Those are almost impossible to find these days.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Sherry Martin" <shejmartin@...> wrote:

Laura Catto (Brayford)

my understanding that the 12000 doesn't care about the size of the memory stick unlike the 11000 that doesn't like anything bigger than a 2gb.

Laura

To: janome12000@...
Sent: Friday, December 9, 2011 8:48:52 AM
Subject: [janome12000] Re: Memory Stick

When I attended Artistic Sewing Suite training last year, the Janome instructor told me to never go bigger than 1 gig. Those are almost impossible to find these days.

--- In janome12000@..., "Sherry Martin" wrote:
>
> Does anyone know what the maximum size memory stick you can use for the 12000 is? I was told once that the maximum size for the 11000 was 4mb which is pretty small; I never verified if this was actually true or not.
>

Virginia

Just keep in mind the larger the stick the harder your machine has to work to read it which may effect your on board memory in the future.

Sticking to a 2 gb might be a safer way to go.

Virginia

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

The size of the USB memory "stick" has no bearing on the amount of work that the machine has to do to read it. It's a simple exchange of electrical signals that has no wear effect on the machine. It also has no relationship to the built-in memory. The only consequence of buying more memory than you need is that you will spend more money,
But due to the growing scarcity of small capacity memory you likely will have little choice.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, Fmjfrazier@... wrote:

Just keep in mind the larger the stick the harder your machine has to work
to read it which may effect your on board memory in the future.

Virginia

Sherry Martin

Which is exactly why I asked the question to begin with.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Jim_Stutsman" <jim@...> wrote:

The size of the USB memory "stick" has no bearing on the amount of work that the machine has to do to read it. It's a simple exchange of electrical signals that has no wear effect on the machine. It also has no relationship to the built-in memory. The only consequence of buying more memory than you need is that you will spend more money,
But due to the growing scarcity of small capacity memory you likely will have little choice.

Virginia

dkuhlman4891

Jim,
Doesn't every design on the stick load into the machine's memory when the stick is opened? Isn't that how are we able to browse the whole stick? Thank you for helping me understand what is happening in the background.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Jim_Stutsman" <jim@...> wrote:

Virginia

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

No, only the folders in EMB are loaded. When a folder is chosen, the designs in that particular folder are opened, but only enough to fill the screen with icons. The 12000 has a faster processor, so this happens pretty quickly. No moving parts are involved in this, just moving electrons, so there is no "wear and tear" involved.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "dkuhlman4891" <dkuhlman4891@...> wrote:

Jim,
Doesn't every design on the stick load into the machine's memory when the stick is opened? Isn't that how are we able to browse the whole stick? Thank you for helping me understand what is happening in the background.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Jim_Stutsman" <jim@> wrote:

Virginia