embroidery placement and hoop question

gbmko

On the magnetic hoops, do you use the inner hoop and the clips? Or with a quilt, can you just use the clips? I tried hooping my queen size quilt today in the center, but used the smaller hoop with out the magnets, as I had half the quilt rolled up under the arm, so needed the room without having to worry about the hoop not having room to move. The quilt kept popping out of the hoop, so I kind of struggled getting it to the embroidery machine. The acufil quilting hoops are deeper, aren't they? But once I did, the embroidery unit itself did a much better job of quilting the design than my Bernina 165, so it is able to handle the quilt without the design dragging out of place. If I could have hooped it better, or more tightly, it would have been perfect. Any tips? (don't want the cost of using sticky stabilizer, as really, no stabilizer is needed)

Also, as I am embroidering on pieced sections, and need the needle at the center of the design to come down exactly at the intersection of 4 triangles, I couldn't figure out how to check this, as the embroidery unit doesn't move when I move the design on the screen to where I think the center should be. I couldn't find in the book how to check on the precise placement I needed. I tried just guessing by the number of squares on the hoop grid and on the screen, but that is not near precise enough. I'm used to moving my needle to exactly where I want the center of the design to be...so how do I do this? thanks!

Sherry Martin

When you have an embroidery design loaded, there is an icon at the top and I think far right that you push and it brings up a set of 4 arrows that you can press to move the needle up, down, right, and left. Just learned about it yesterday in my class to get to know my machine.

Also when I used sticky stabilizer for quilts I would hoop it once and then after I did the embroidery, I would pull the quilt off and then just put more sticky stabilizer just over the hole that was left (not rehooping a whole piece). I could do this quite a few times before I need to rehoop a whole piece. I haven't tried it on this machine but I used to do it on my Husqvarna a while ago. Also it made it a lot easier to get the quilt exactly where I wanted it in the hoop.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "gbmko" <gbmko@...> wrote:

[...]

Virginia

The Icon is on the top right hand side and shows a spool of thread and a needle.  Just press once and the arrows appear under the design and you can move the needle  lef, right up or down to where you want your beginning to be.

Virginia

--- In janome12000@..., "gbmko" wrote:

> On the magnetic hoops, do you use the inner hoop and the clips? Or with a quilt, can you just use the clips? I tried hooping my queen size quilt today in the center, but used the smaller hoop with out the magnets, as I had half the quilt rolled up under the arm, so needed the room without having to worry about the hoop not having room to move. The quilt kept popping out of the hoop, so I kind of struggled getting it to the embroidery machine. The acufil quilting hoops are deeper, aren't they? But once I did, the embroidery unit itself did a much better job of quilting the design than my Bernina 165, so it is able to handle the quilt without the design dragging out of place. If I could have hooped it better, or more tightly, it would have been perfect. Any tips? (don't want the cost of using sticky stabilizer, as really, no stabilizer is needed)
>
> Also, as I am embroidering on pieced sections, and need the needle at the center of the design to come down exactly at the intersection of 4 triangles, I couldn't figure out how to check this, as the embroidery unit doesn't move when I move the design on the screen to where I think the center should be. I couldn't find in the book how to check on the precise placement I needed. I tried just guessing by the number of squares on the hoop grid and on the screen, but that is not near precise enough. I'm used to moving my needle to exactly where I want the center of the design to be...so how do I do this? thanks!

Virginia

It is a little more difficult to hoop the project with the 3 layers of fabric/batting but depending on how thick the batting  is.  I use Cotton Theory batting which is 80% cotton and 20% poly and had no problem, using both the GR Hoop and the 9x9.  Once I hooped it and put the clips on I realized that the clips hold both the top and bottom hoops secure and did a much better job with the quilting than using my 11,000SE.  This new machine with all its accessories and features  are awesome.  The more I use it the more wonderful and exciting  things I discover.

Virginia

vicki chrobak

I've found the double basting in the hoop extremely useful, especially with heavy/thick fabrics. I don't hoop the fabric just the stabilizer.

--
Vicki Jo

gbmko

thank you to all who responded with tips and info! I got real good at moving the design around, and actually came very close to centering it where I needed...don't know how I missed the icon that moves the needle! I'll give that a try. I'll try to remember to post a picture of how much better the 12000 did on the design than my 165. the little bit that the design was off was I'm sure due to the fact that I didn't hoop it very tightly.

So, I gather, you do hoop AND use the clips? Has anyone actually done a queen size quilt yet using the large hoop? As the hoop can move all the way to the inside of the arm, my thought is that the bulk of the quilt under the arm would interfere with the hoop movement..does it work to just hold it up?

Any definitive word on whether there will be an acuquilt hoop? I don't have one, but in the pictures it looks deeper, better able to manage the bulk. I'd still prefer to avoid having to use any stabilizer if at all possible. Much thanks for all the sharing of ideas!

[...]

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

The clips are handy for taking up slack on the edges, where the hoop rings don't hold as well. Yes, keeping the rolled up edge of the quilt out of the hoop is a challenge. Holding it is a good idea. Although everyone here has probably passed the point of watching every embroidery in rapt fascination, we also know that leaving for a cup of tea, answering the phone, or heeding nature's call is a surefire way to cause a sleeve to fall into the hoop, the needle to fall out, or the inner ring of the hoop to leap out.

While we don't have an official announcement of an AcuQuilt hoop for the 12000, I'm certain that it will eventually get all the features of its little sister the 11000. Digitizer MBX gives us a hint, with the choice of an ASQ23 hoop for the 12000. That would suggest an AquQuilt hoop measuring 230 x 230mm.