Topics

Basting Stitch...

christitch <nckrause@...>

Hi, Jim. Back to bug you again. That makes you the buggee and me the...uh, forget that! I just did a redwork design that's built into the machine and it's beautiful - on top and underneath! But I do have a concern. I traced the design - around the perimeter of the hoop - with basting stitches and the basting square is not square with the hoop. It hinks to the left. (I can send you a pic if you want to see what I mean). Is there something I need to adjust?

Chris in rainy Vancouver

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

You probably need to calibrate the hoop. I just checked ours and noticed that it was about 4mm northwest of center. To calibrate it, put on a hoop (I used SQ14) with the plastic template in it. Then touch SET, go to the Embroidery (icon with machine & hoop) section and turn to page 4 of 6. Touch the Hoop Calibration button. Then use the arrow keys to move the hoop so that the needle passes through the hole in the template. Use the hand wheel to test, then turn the needle back up to move the hoop. When you get it centered, touch OK. This setting will be remembered. If you ever have to have the embroidery unit serviced, you'll need to do this calibration again when you get it back. This seems like something that should have been done in the factory, but they have been in a rush to get the machines out.

For those of you with machines, it would probably be prudent to test the hoop calibration. If you use the template to hoop your fabric (which is all you have - no Clothsetter), and the calibration is off, then your designs won't sew where you want them to.

--- In janome12000@..., "christitch" <nckrause@...> wrote:

Hi, Jim. Back to bug you again. That makes you the buggee and me the...uh, forget that! I just did a redwork design that's built into the machine and it's beautiful - on top and underneath! But I do have a concern. I traced the design - around the perimeter of the hoop - with basting stitches and the basting square is not square with the hoop. It hinks to the left. (I can send you a pic if you want to see what I mean). Is there something I need to adjust?

Chris in rainy Vancouver

Chris Krause <nckrause@...>

Hi, Jim...thanks for the advice. I followed your helpful calibration
instructions and that put the basting stitches in the right location, but
unfortunately the stitched box is still not square. For example, the top
horizontal line of stitching is about 4mm too high at the left corner and
then slopes down towards the right, causing the right hand vertical line of
stitching slopes to slope to the left at the lower right hand corner...you
get the picture. Anything else I can try?

Chris

[...]

Oh, good grief! I just read my message and apparently I also need to
calibrate my thought processes to communicate clearly online, don't I?
Ignore the word slopes after the word stitching, please. ;)

Chris

Hi, Jim...thanks for the advice. I followed your helpful calibration
instructions and that put the basting stitches in the right location, but
unfortunately the stitched box is still not square. For example, the top
horizontal line of stitching is about 4mm too high at the left corner and
then slopes down towards the right, causing the right hand vertical line of
stitching slopes to slope to the left at the lower right hand corner...you
get the picture. Anything else I can try?

Chris

I was hoping this wouldn't be the case, but it seems that the hoop bracket on your embroidery unit is not quite straight. This is not a big deal to fix, but it does require a technician to remove the necessary parts to get to the screws that need to be loosened to straighten the hoop. Before you take the machine in, check all the hoops. It might also be a defective hoop.

I saw this problem from time to time on the 11000, usually when an "event" caused the hoop to be unable to move, either from a thread jam or because it was up against something. The force of the motors trying to move it was strong enough to shift the position of the bracket. It's a simple fix, but they are only just now conducting service seminars and most dealers have not yet been trained. Janome's head office is in Vancouver, and they have a technician who can correct the problem. If your dealer is unable to fix it, he/she should be able to have Janome Vancouver take care of it.

Hi, Jim...thanks for the advice. I followed your helpful calibration
instructions and that put the basting stitches in the right location, but
unfortunately the stitched box is still not square. For example, the top
horizontal line of stitching is about 4mm too high at the left corner and
then slopes down towards the right, causing the right hand vertical line of
stitching to slope to the left at the lower right hand corner...you