Binding Foot or Binder Attachment

Cheryl Paul

Thank you Diane,

I was hoping that you'd find the time and do a video of the binding from beginning to end.  I just finished 4 placemats to practice the binder and it took me a couple of weeks of thinking while doing other things, some sewing and some not to finish the ends.  If I can manage to do something "inside out and backwards" I do, so as much as I hate to admit this, it took me a WHOLE day to finish just 2 of those placemats.  I watched videos and even managed to still get things backwards or twisted.  I had to take a break to sort out my mind and try again.  SOOOO! you see why I'm asking for more help.  Another thing - the videos that are up on the internet are using the "traditional" binding method, which is double the width and sewn on in 2 steps.  This was confusing at first, until I took a look at my placemat and the "lights went on" and I realized that didn't matter as the angles were still the same.  Then I could concentrate on what was important and get it done.  However, I'll enjoy your video even more now that I don't have a particular struggle to get through for some results.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Deb K.

Diane - You are the best! I have the binder set, I actually purchased it used from a lovely person on our list (who also never used it). For some reason I just keep putting off using it, you know “next time, next time”. Please let us know how to access the video when it’s available.
Deb in CA

Sharleen Brett

Thanks so much, Jim!

Sharleen Brett
Cell: (817) 939-6469

On Jul 12, 2020, at 4:46 PM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

The 7mm foot holders are not offered as stock accessories, so you would have to order through a dealer. Part #830504017 is a high-shank 7mm holder that should work with the 9400. That said, you should note that this foot holder can be used ONLY with 7mm snap-on feet and if you set the needle position or stitch width outside the 7mm range you can cause damage. Use with care!

Jim Stutsman

The 7mm foot holders are not offered as stock accessories, so you would have to order through a dealer. Part #830504017 is a high-shank 7mm holder that should work with the 9400. That said, you should note that this foot holder can be used ONLY with 7mm snap-on feet and if you set the needle position or stitch width outside the 7mm range you can cause damage. Use with care!

Sharleen Brett

That would definitely be the way to go! I wasn’t aware of any foot holder, and I do have lots of feet for my 7mm machine that I could be using on my 9400. Since reading your email this morning, I did some research. But I couldn’t find this foot holder. Do you remember where you got it or what exactly it was called?

Sharleen Brett

On Jul 12, 2020, at 6:42 AM, bwabit <bwabit@...> wrote:

I purchased a 7mm foot holder for my Janome 9mm machine and now I can use my feet I purchased for a 7mm.  It saved me some money and my binder foot works as well.  Just wanted to pass this along in case someone didn't know.

Diane Stutsman

I just finished a quilt top and will video the binding from the beginning. It will include the finishing edge as well. The video in the app covers everything else. This is one of my favorite accessories.

On Jul 12, 2020, at 12:52 PM, Cheryl Paul <capaul@...> wrote:

Hi,

I just want to point out that there are 2 different tools to do binding with our Janome machines.  One is the binder foot; and the other the binder attachment, which includes a foot in the blister pack of several things like screws and 2 main pieces.  The attachment costs a lot of money while the foot is probably less than ½ that cost.  The little foot as I understand it is for making or using bias binding and also will apply it to the edge of fabric for a nice finished edge.  The binder attachment, which as our Janome Educator says looks like a medical device that doctors use for female medical examinations.

I don't have the little foot and our dealer says they are on "back order", so I'm waiting to get one.  I do have the binder attachment, (in fact more than one; as the bobbin cover plate was changed and Janome didn't provide just that particular part and I changed from a 7mm machine to a 9mm machine and the foot didn't fit anymore).  It isn't difficult to use, but it does take practice and I've discovered more practice than I did for a project, so I used the old method for "the quilt" I made.  It is a good thing that your dealer wants you to come in and try the attachment.  He/She realize that many folks purchase these expensive items, then are not happy with the learning curve required to get used to using it and perhaps return them for a refund AND the package is opened and would be difficult to resell.

The next thing about the binder attachment is "finishing" the binding at the end of the quilt.  I struggle with this in the traditional binding method, so imagine how I'm doing with the new.  I've asked Jim and Diane, IF they have the time to make a video for the footbook and machine (My 15000/My 12000) app's as well.  These last 2 app's are very specific to those machines, but contain valuable information that can be used for other Janome models as well, if you can adapt to a bit of change, ie:  where things appear on the machine screen - no embroidery, etc.

Another thing I do and that is watch as many different videos I can to learn as much as I can when trying new techniques or refreshing one I may not have used often or for a long while.  Sometimes a different person presenting just uses different wording or pictures that makes the "bells ring" for me.

Whatever, you do, don't let this device intimidate you.  It is a fun attachment to use, even if it is expensive.  Remember that trying it out on something like placemats is a good place to learn as you have 4 corners on probably 4 placemats to get the hang corners, as that is the biggest challenge.  Our Janome Educator, that taught us how to use it told us that she can bind a fairly large quilt in 45 minutes - I'd like to watch her to see if it's a "fish" story - you know how the fish caught gets bigger in every telling of the same story.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

PS:  The foot looks bigger than the attachment, but it is not,  it very much matches the size of your other sewing feet.  The attachment is much larger than the pictures shows, if you are comparing them below.

<dummyfile.0.part>
<dummyfile.1.part>

Binder Attachment                          Bias Binder Foot

bwabit

I purchased a 7mm foot holder for my Janome 9mm machine and now I can use my feet I purchased for a 7mm.  It saved me some money and my binder foot works as well.  Just wanted to pass this along in case someone didn't know.

Maria Morrow

Thank you Cheryl!  I make a lot of quilts, and binding is my least favorite part. So when I can, I’ll watch the videos and have my dealer demo before I decide. If practice means I could cut the time down, I may do it. A king takes me 4-6 hours all in.

Maria

On Jul 11, 2020, at 5:09 PM, sewnice@... wrote:

Hi
do you think the foot is just as good as the "medical device?"  Do they each need a different plate?

thanks
Sharon

sewnice@...