My Magnet Hoop

Barbara Castle

These are lovely! My husband was an avid woodworker and would have been as impressed as I am. He too liked to make things pretty by using different kinds of wood in a project. Your husband is very skilled and talented!

Barbara

sewnice@...

OH my gosh those are beautiful!  Including the embroidery

WOW

Sharon

favymtz

We did get the idea for the magnetic hoop from Jim and Diane but with differences. The wood frame is all one piece. The wood is Oak and the darker wood at the corners is Purple Heart (I first said it was Walnut). He made it that way because he wanted it to be pretty, it’s not for functionality!
He pieced and glued the wood frame and then routed the corners, I think.
So, solid wood would work fine, as long as it’s sanded smooth, no splinters.
My husband also makes beautiful wood bowls and other things on his wood lathe. He also built our house!
On another note, I recently asked him to make my urn...
I sent a picture of it to my sisters and they all got freaked out.
Favymtz

--
Favymtz

blue_lak

It's obviously well made and I know you're pleased with it. I can see they are different, but what are the hoop corners made of and how are they attached to the wood sides?
Jan in MD

Patricia Ward

Wow, Favy, that is not just a frame...that is truly a work of skilled craftsmanship...  a work of art. Glad to hear it works well for you.

Pat

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 11:17 AM favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:
As I said in the topic "Magnetic Hoop Final Answer"; this is the hoop that my husband and I concocted.
I'll first preface by saying that my husband is a fine woodworker so my hoop is nicely made and many people won't have the same skills to make one like mine!
The frame is made of  3/8" thick X 1/2" wide wood and we sized it to (hopefully) fit all sorts of thicknesses of quilt sandwiches. It's worked fine for all the things I have embroidered so far.
The magnets are Neodymium Rare Earth magnets we ordered from a company, Total Element. Size is 1/2" X 1/8", 8# per magnet.
The magnets are inset into pieces of recycled baseboard molding. The little lip on the molding helps to keep the magnets nicely on the Frame.
With a frame like this you cannot use the Hard plasic grid so it's very important to mark the frame with the design area, especially because the design area isn't centered in the hoop.

--
Favymtz

favymtz