Topics

Sewing on bra hooks

Diane Stutsman

The HD roller foot is perfect. It stitches next to the hooks and the roller keeps it moving evenly.

On Apr 20, 2020, at 2:24 PM, vicki J. Wardwell <vjw_65@comcast.net> wrote:

I think I would email Bali and ask about a foot.
Let us know too.
Vicki

Thank you to everyone who replied - I was relieved to know that I am not the only person who finds this step tricky. I believe that there are special feet for the "trade" ie people using industrial machines that are not available to home sewers. I am trying out the various suggestions (Cheryl's from yesterday and an earlier suggestion about using the zipper foot). My first go (to replace the hooks on an existing bra) worked much better.

Anne

vicki J. Wardwell <vjw_65@...>

I think I would email Bali and ask about a foot.
Let us know too.
Vicki

Thank you to everyone who replied - I was relieved to know that I am not the only person who finds this step tricky. I believe that there are special feet for the "trade" ie people using industrial machines that are not available to home sewers. I am trying out the various suggestions (Cheryl's from yesterday and an earlier suggestion about using the zipper foot). My first go (to replace the hooks on an existing bra) worked much better.

Anne

Anne Stoye

Thank you to everyone who replied - I was relieved to know that I am not the only person who finds this step tricky. I believe that there are special feet for the "trade" ie people using industrial machines that are not available to home sewers. I am trying out the various suggestions (Cheryl's from yesterday and an earlier suggestion about using the zipper foot). My first go (to replace the hooks on an existing bra) worked much better.

Anne

Cheryl Paul

I sew my own bras - many of them in the past 15+ years, and the “hooks” are probably the most challenging of the whole procedure. I carefully pin the hooks to the back band elastic, use my regular foot, hooks up, and move the needle to the closest setting beside the hooks and sew and I repeat, carefully. I sometimes sew the bottom part down first so that I have the fabrics together and sewn well on one side at least, then put the 3 layers together and sew it again. I’ve used a straight stitch, zig zag or both at different times. I’ve also sewn the seam twice, as I’d never want it to let loose while wearing - my luck would be that I’d be in church, at the front singing in the choir, if a failure occurred. I’m saying it is a bit tricky, but not impossible. Now the “eyes” part is very easy as everything is very flat, but you still need to proceed carefully as there is metal enclosed in fabric that you cannot see when you are sewing. There is enough room in both the “hooks” and “eyes” to sew, just remember that and “hooks up”.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

vjw_65@...

I am wondering if you find a button with the same eye space,
if you could not use the button sewing tool. I would try to rig it up
that method or take the task to bed with you and sew as you relax.
Vicki

I have now started making my own bras and the thing I find hardest (apart from the initial sorting out the pattern to fit) is sewing on the hooks.  There is such a small width of fabric between the hooks and the edge of the fastener.  Any suggestions about which foot/stitch might be best for this purpose would be most welcome.  The eye side of the fastener is straightforward as the edge of any foot will ride over the flat eyes - on the other side the hooks will get in the way and distort the line of sewing unless one is very lucky.  A small zigzag (2.0,2.0) would be the ideal stitch to use but a straight stitch is better than nothing.   I have a 12000 and a 9400QCP.

Anne
_._,_._,_

Lyn Quine

I think I would try the normal zipper foot, probably move the needle position to the every edge of the foot on the side that the hooks are, might give better clearance and avoid the wobble.

Lou Ann

The first thought I had was using the "Jean-a-ma-jig" or similar plastic piece that usually is used to level the presser foot for going over thick seams in jeans.  Just wondering if that might hold the foot up high enough to do your zig zag.  Needless to say, I haven't tried it.  I've resorted to just buying sports bras-no hooks or eyes or any hardware:)

Pixey

You could also think of the row of hooks in the same way as a zipper, and use the zipper foot with the needle moved to the far outside position to give you the most room for the hooks to pass to the side of the foot.

Pixey

On Apr 17, 2020, at 5:39 AM, Anne Stoye via groups.io <annestoye@...> wrote:

I have now started making my own bras and the thing I find hardest (apart from the initial sorting out the pattern to fit) is sewing on the hooks.  There is such a small width of fabric between the hooks and the edge of the fastener.  Any suggestions about which foot/stitch might be best for this purpose would be most welcome.  The eye side of the fastener is straightforward as the edge of any foot will ride over the flat eyes - on the other side the hooks will get in the way and distort the line of sewing unless one is very lucky.  A small zigzag (2.0,2.0) would be the ideal stitch to use but a straight stitch is better than nothing.   I have a 12000 and a 9400QCP.

Anne

Pixey

Granted I don’t have any actual experience on this, but it strikes me that you might want to try treating each hook separately and use a button foot, sewing it on like a two hole button.