Topics

Feature on 500e Embroidery-only machine

Kathy Strabel

Greetings----Just a reality check for me here......I do not see any reference to this in the Owner's Manual......does this machine have a feature that alerts you when a thread break happens? I have been doing a new design and getting frequent thread breaks--I have checked/.adjusted the usual things--new needle, tension checks, etc. But those things seem OK. I just get some thread shredding about every 600-700 stitches. I am running my machine as I usually do, at 400SPM.    Am I imagining this, or is the machine supposed to stop stitching and beep when there is a thread break? I am in the same room, and I will hear that dreaded noise that happens when there is a thread break, and there is, indeed a thread break, but the machine just keeps banging that needle up and down. If I was in the next room, it might stitch out the entire color section with no thread!!   I have never experienced so many thread breaks in a design before.  When I do have a thread break, I believe the 500e machine would stop and tell me. But I could be mixing this up with my older embroidery machine of another brand???/  Am I missing something today???  I have not used that older machine for a couple of years for embroidery. It is a great sewing machine, but no more for embroidery. The design is a type which I have never tried before----a bird that is comprised of many concentric circles and spirals. Could it be something about the design itself? I am stitching on a T-shirt, properly hooped and using the plastic type of topping.  I am using threads of good quality--Floriani, Sulky, etc, which I have never had a problem with before.   Any ideas?   I have stopped stitching for now and am going to go to the gym to work off my sewing frustration!!   Thanks, I appreciate any input!
Kathy Strabel   Camas WA

Cathy LeBlanc

Kathy - I have the same machine and it does stop and let me know when the top thread breaks or if there does not appear to be enough bobbin thread. Check page 50 of your manual where it mentions the upper thread sensor. There is an option to turn it off so perhaps your machine has it turned off.
You make the change in the machine settings.
I was having some issue with my thread breaking and I found that the way you thread through the pre tension thread guide make a difference.
I was also having some trouble with the auto needle threader almost shredding some of the threads and that was causing breaks as well.
Cathy LeBlanc Burlington MA

Pixey

Kathy,
I have only had it happen once or twice  (and due to user error) but I am pretty sure the machine will stop and alert you if there is a thread break.

Given what you are describing, I could suggest a couple of possibilities...

You mention being good quality thread but also Floriani brand.  For some reason, some Janome embroidery machines can be really persnickety about threads and do not like Floriani brand.  Others have no trouble. So I would try a different brand.

Then you mentioned the style of the design and frequency of the shredding.  Given how much the circles and spirals result in pulling the thread in different directions as it goes through the needle and completes the stitch, I would wonder about the possibility of a tiny burr in the eye of the needle.  I would suggest changing the needle and maybe even using a Top Stitch needle with a larger eye.

Pixey

On Mar 7, 2020, at 1:12 PM, Kathy Strabel <ksbappa@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you to those who replied to my thread breakage/no warning from my machine (500e).  I have checked and re-checked all the usual things, even put ANOTHER new needle in -topstitch style, which is my usual for embroidery. I was able to finish that design from yesterday (the bird made of swirls), but I still had to stop a few more times for broken thread--and no announcement or stopping of the needle from my machine.   SO now I am working on another design--I checked the upper thread sensor setting and the box is checked that it is "ON". I even turned it off, waited a minute, then turned it back on. My new design is stitching along as I am typing this, but it has already had one thread break, and the machine did not stop; I am not leaving the room while stitching!!   Does anyone know "where" the upper thread sensor is located in the machine? Maybe I have a piece of lint or thread blocking that sensor? I did clean and oil the machine about 2 weeks ago, and have used it before the last couple of days for these gifts I am making.  I had no trouble at all. It appears that the thread sensor is malfunctioning---I don't want to take it to the dealer if there is just a piece of errant thread or lint blocking its way, so if anyone can tell me where to look to locate the thread sensor--what it looks like, etc. Then I could just put my mini-vacuum attachment near it and get it cleaned out. If that does not work, then I would take it in. Can't do without the warning about a thread break and the machine stopping. Does the low bobbin warning also work off of the thread sensor? My bobbin has not yet been low enough to trigger that warning.   Oh, and also, there is no tension issue, and no burrs on the needle plate, or anywhere that I can determine along the thread path.   ARGHHHH!!!!
Kathy Strabel    Camas WA

Cathy LeBlanc

Kathy,
I checked and found a Janome forum topic on thread break on the 500e that mentioned cleaning the thread sensor.
I copied the link, hope the link works, but if it does not, I googled Janome 500e thread sensor and it took me to the forum.
 https://www.janome.com/en/support/janome-forum/forum-room/forum-topic/?tid=5718
Hope this helps.
Cathy

favymtz

Re: The Upper Thread Sensor
It’s designed so that the machine can detect that the upper thread is threaded.
If it’s turned Off and the machine is threaded it will sew a few stitches, then stop and warn that the machine cannot sew.
One purpose of turning it Off is so that we can practice sew without thread to check if a design is properly placed.
Where is it located? I’m not exactly sure, But it’s somewhere near the thread uptake. We used to trick the old 11000 (That didn’t have an Off/On) by sliding an index card into the slot to do a practice test, so I assume it’s still in that area on all newer machines.
My analysis of your thread breakage is that you have a tiny burr somewhere in your upper thread path, maybe it’s even on the thread guide above the needle.
I helped someone figure it out on an 11000, by threading the machine, then we carefully kept pulling on the thread like it would move if sewing, until we could see and feel where it was catching up. When we located the spot we sanded it with crocus cloth.
-favymtz

--
Favymtz

Kathy Strabel

Favymtz, and others---Thank you so much for the helpful suggestions about my breaking thread on my 500e machine. I am happy to report that it seems to be working now--fingers crossed. I did not have any denatured alcohol in the house, so I did the thing of taking a piece of thread, folding it and running it through the entire thread path, without any alcohol or other solvent on the thread.  I used a light color of heavy weight thread, and did not see any errant lint, fibers, or thread bits, or other gunk attached to it when I pulled the thread through, but that was the thing that apparently worked.  I was able to complete a design with about 30,000 stitches in it, without a single break.  During that same stitch session, I did get the message that it was time to clean around the bobbin, so I know that is working, and--I also got the message that there may not be enough bobbin thread to finish the current color block, so that warning is also working. Since I had zero thread breaks in that stitch session, I am not 100% certain that the machine will tell me if/when I get a break and stop the machine. I will be vigilant and keep my eyes and ears on the stitching, so I will know if something happens----or, not. If  no warning of a break and no stopping of the machine does occur, I think it will be time to take the machine in for a check-up. But I am so glad to have this Group to depend on for great advice.
Thank you, all!
Kathy Strabel   Camas WA