Question about 550E

J Fraker

For those of you who have the 550E, I've been looking at it and am just wondering how well it works for quilting.  I have the 12000 and do a lot of quilting on it, but am thinking I might like to have another machine.

Betty S

The 550e is an embroidery only machine.

Dottie Newkirk

I don't have the 550E but since it's embroidery only, I'm guessing that it will work great with purchased quilting designs. Dottie in Texas

On 1/17/2020 2:53 PM, J Fraker wrote:
For those of you who have the 550E, I've been looking at it and am just wondering how well it works for quilting.  I have the 12000 and do a lot of quilting on it, but am thinking I might like to have another machine.

J Fraker

I know that. I digitize my quilting designs, then use the embroidery machine to stitch them out. The 12000 has a special embroidery hoop just for quilting. The 550e does not appear to, but I'm assuming the regular hoops will work okay for quilting.

On Sat, Jan 18, 2020, 5:23 PM Betty S via Groups.Io <ekscott78=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
The 550e is an embroidery only machine.

Lyn Quine

In the UK You can get the Acufil setup for quilting for both the 550e and the 500e.  It is an extra hoop for the 12000 too.  It’s a standard hoop on the 15000.  Not sure if it’s standard or extra in the US.

Cat - N

I am guessing you mean using a 550E to "quilt in the hoop"...since it is not a "sewing" machine.

That said, there is an AcuFil kit that works with the 400E and 500E.  It 'might' work with the 550E...Ken's Sewing Center is advertising it as working on the 550E too, so maybe they tried it or something...but it is probably something you would want to check out in advance of purchasing it.

This is WHY (Janome does not list the 550E for the AcuFil Kit) I would check into it first...before buying it:

https://www.janome.com/accessories/hoops/acufil-quilting-kit/

I don't have an 'embroidery only' machine so I cannot advise how AcuFil works on one.  I do have an 11000 and a 15000, and Acufil for them works fine for quilting in the hoop.  I have the DIME toppers for both (magnetic) AcuFil hoops (one for each machine) and they work great, too.

Sample links...so you can see what I mean...but prices vary...I have found them occasionally at less cost than shown in the following links...when I looking for other things:

https://www.kenssewingcenter.com/janome-acufil-quilt-kit-asq18b-for-memory-craft-400e-500e.html
https://www.amazon.com/Janome-Acufil-Quilting-AQS18B-MC500E/dp/B01F9NMWZ8
https://napasewandvac.com/acufil-quilting-kit-asq18b-for-mc400-500e/
https://www.sewvacdirect.com/janome-acufil-quilting-hoop-set-aqs18b-for-mc500e-mc400e/

- Cat

I don't have the 550E but since it's embroidery only, I'm guessing that
it will work great with purchased quilting designs. Dottie in Texas

On 1/17/2020 2:53 PM, J Fraker wrote:
For those of you who have the 550E, I've been looking at it and am just wondering how well it works for quilting.  I have the 12000 and do a lot of quilting on it, but am thinking I might like to have another machine.

Donna Clendaniel

I have the 15000 and just purchased the 550E and love it.  I decided to buy the 550E as I was embroidering a OESD Snowman design that had 9 different embroidery parts to stitch out (over 500,000 stitches).  As you can imaging it tied up my 15000 for a long time.  I have 2 smaller machines so decided to use my Singer 221 for the straight sewing.  I loved using the machine but was use to all the bells and whistles and my space is limited.  That is when I started to think about the 550E.  I had the perfect table because the arm goes side to side instead (which I love, love, love) of front to back when embroidering.  Good for space consideration side to side, now I don't have to reach back to put the hoops on. And there is no foot pedal to worry about.  I did end up purchasing the 550E with no regrets.  I am still learning to use it.  The only issue I had was, operator error, adjusting the bobbin case correctly when I was switching from one to another. I took the machine back to the shop because of the terrible noise the machine was making. They new immediately what it was and showed me the correct position of the bobbin case.  Issue was solved. Brought the 550E back home and it has been humming along.  You just need to get use to the sounds it makes.  The one down side is the stitch plate is screwed on not an automatic pop up like our other machines.  And it does not have an automatic raise pressure foot, you have to raise/lower manually.  You just have to remember, the machines tells you when to raise or lower the pressure foot.  I still love love the machine. I can now embroider and sew at the same time, multitasking at its best. Did I say how much I love the machine.  Good luck it you decide to purchase.
Life is Good

On January 17, 2020 at 3:53 PM J Fraker <frakersfunnyfarm@...> wrote:

For those of you who have the 550E, I've been looking at it and am just wondering how well it works for quilting.  I have the 12000 and do a lot of quilting on it, but am thinking I might like to have another machine.

Betty S

I too have the 15000 and recently purchased a 55E. Having been used to the 15000 doing so much automatically, I am forever being reminded to raise/lower the presser foot on the 550E! Do you have any issues with the needle threader on the 550E? Sometimes it takes a few goes to get it to work.

Lyn Quine

Speak to your dealer because you can get the Acufil kit for quilting for both the 12000 and the 550E.  For the 12000 I think it’s the ASQ22 hoop the same as the 15000 not sure what it is for the 550E but you buy the Acufil kit.  The difference is the Acufil hoop doesn’t have an inner hoop, you hoop using large magnets over the fabric around the 4 sides of the hoop.  You have to make sure you have plenty of extra batting and backing to ensure you get full quilting coverage of the sandwich.

bwabit

I too have issues with the needle threader on the 550E.  It is tricky and I think I about have it figured out.  For one I keep forgetting to lower the pressure foot before threading the needle.  I went from and 11K SE to 550E and love it.

terryj@...

Digitizing -  can you use the AcuFil software for that or do you need other software such as Hatch?  I’m interested in the AcuFil for quilting and am trying to understand all of its benefits and limitations.