Question about 550E

J Fraker

For those of you who have the 550E, I've been looking at it and am just wondering how well it works for quilting.  I have the 12000 and do a lot of quilting on it, but am thinking I might like to have another machine.

Betty S

The 550e is an embroidery only machine.

Dottie Newkirk

I don't have the 550E but since it's embroidery only, I'm guessing that it will work great with purchased quilting designs. Dottie in Texas

On 1/17/2020 2:53 PM, J Fraker wrote:
For those of you who have the 550E, I've been looking at it and am just wondering how well it works for quilting.  I have the 12000 and do a lot of quilting on it, but am thinking I might like to have another machine.

J Fraker

I know that. I digitize my quilting designs, then use the embroidery machine to stitch them out. The 12000 has a special embroidery hoop just for quilting. The 550e does not appear to, but I'm assuming the regular hoops will work okay for quilting. 

On Sat, Jan 18, 2020, 5:23 PM Betty S via Groups.Io <ekscott78=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Lyn Quine

In the UK You can get the Acufil setup for quilting for both the 550e and the 500e.  It is an extra hoop for the 12000 too.  It’s a standard hoop on the 15000.  Not sure if it’s standard or extra in the US.

Cat - N

I am guessing you mean using a 550E to "quilt in the hoop"...since it is not a "sewing" machine.

That said, there is an AcuFil kit that works with the 400E and 500E.  It 'might' work with the 550E...Ken's Sewing Center is advertising it as working on the 550E too, so maybe they tried it or something...but it is probably something you would want to check out in advance of purchasing it. 

This is WHY (Janome does not list the 550E for the AcuFil Kit) I would check into it first...before buying it:

https://www.janome.com/accessories/hoops/acufil-quilting-kit/

I don't have an 'embroidery only' machine so I cannot advise how AcuFil works on one.  I do have an 11000 and a 15000, and Acufil for them works fine for quilting in the hoop.  I have the DIME toppers for both (magnetic) AcuFil hoops (one for each machine) and they work great, too.

Sample links...so you can see what I mean...but prices vary...I have found them occasionally at less cost than shown in the following links...when I looking for other things:

https://www.kenssewingcenter.com/janome-acufil-quilt-kit-asq18b-for-memory-craft-400e-500e.html
https://www.amazon.com/Janome-Acufil-Quilting-AQS18B-MC500E/dp/B01F9NMWZ8
https://napasewandvac.com/acufil-quilting-kit-asq18b-for-mc400-500e/
https://www.sewvacdirect.com/janome-acufil-quilting-hoop-set-aqs18b-for-mc500e-mc400e/

- Cat

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sat, Jan 18, 2020 5:24 pm

I don't have the 550E but since it's embroidery only, I'm guessing that
it will work great with purchased quilting designs. Dottie in Texas

On 1/17/2020 2:53 PM, J Fraker wrote:

Donna Clendaniel

I have the 15000 and just purchased the 550E and love it.  I decided to buy the 550E as I was embroidering a OESD Snowman design that had 9 different embroidery parts to stitch out (over 500,000 stitches).  As you can imaging it tied up my 15000 for a long time.  I have 2 smaller machines so decided to use my Singer 221 for the straight sewing.  I loved using the machine but was use to all the bells and whistles and my space is limited.  That is when I started to think about the 550E.  I had the perfect table because the arm goes side to side instead (which I love, love, love) of front to back when embroidering.  Good for space consideration side to side, now I don't have to reach back to put the hoops on. And there is no foot pedal to worry about.  I did end up purchasing the 550E with no regrets.  I am still learning to use it.  The only issue I had was, operator error, adjusting the bobbin case correctly when I was switching from one to another. I took the machine back to the shop because of the terrible noise the machine was making. They new immediately what it was and showed me the correct position of the bobbin case.  Issue was solved. Brought the 550E back home and it has been humming along.  You just need to get use to the sounds it makes.  The one down side is the stitch plate is screwed on not an automatic pop up like our other machines.  And it does not have an automatic raise pressure foot, you have to raise/lower manually.  You just have to remember, the machines tells you when to raise or lower the pressure foot.  I still love love the machine. I can now embroider and sew at the same time, multitasking at its best. Did I say how much I love the machine.  Good luck it you decide to purchase. 
Life is Good

On January 17, 2020 at 3:53 PM J Fraker <frakersfunnyfarm@...> wrote:

Betty S

I too have the 15000 and recently purchased a 55E. Having been used to the 15000 doing so much automatically, I am forever being reminded to raise/lower the presser foot on the 550E! Do you have any issues with the needle threader on the 550E? Sometimes it takes a few goes to get it to work.

Lyn Quine

Speak to your dealer because you can get the Acufil kit for quilting for both the 12000 and the 550E.  For the 12000 I think it’s the ASQ22 hoop the same as the 15000 not sure what it is for the 550E but you buy the Acufil kit.  The difference is the Acufil hoop doesn’t have an inner hoop, you hoop using large magnets over the fabric around the 4 sides of the hoop.  You have to make sure you have plenty of extra batting and backing to ensure you get full quilting coverage of the sandwich.

bwabit

I too have issues with the needle threader on the 550E.  It is tricky and I think I about have it figured out.  For one I keep forgetting to lower the pressure foot before threading the needle.  I went from and 11K SE to 550E and love it.  

terryj@...

Digitizing -  can you use the AcuFil software for that or do you need other software such as Hatch?  I’m interested in the AcuFil for quilting and am trying to understand all of its benefits and limitations.

From: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io> On Behalf Of J Fraker
Sent: Saturday, January 18, 2020 5:31 PM
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] Question about 550E

I know that. I digitize my quilting designs, then use the embroidery machine to stitch them out. The 12000 has a special embroidery hoop just for quilting. The 550e does not appear to, but I'm assuming the regular hoops will work okay for quilting. 

On Sat, Jan 18, 2020, 5:23 PM Betty S via Groups.Io <ekscott78=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

favymtz

Re the Acufil hoop and the new 550e embroidery only machine.
The 550e has replaced the 500e machine, the website doesn't say specifically that this has happened and it hasn't updated the information about the ASQ18b (Acufil) Hoop.
The machines are basically the same machine, the new 550e has the new 14" long hoop but the widths of the hoops are all the same as the 500e machine.
So the ASQ18b hoop will work just fine on the 550e machine.
Re the Acufil program that is part of the purchase, it will help create both Acufil stipple designs and allow the user to incorporate other quilting motifs that come with the program. The Acufil program creates the stipple in .afl format, it can also use .jef motifs. 
The .afl format can only be used in the Acufil program.
If a user has a Digitizing program, they can digitize their own designs and then quilt them using the Acufil hoops for all the Janome machines.
In this case you export/save the file into a format JEF or JPX dependng on the model of the machine.
Hope this helps!
--
Favymtz

J Fraker

I guess what I'm asking is how easy is it to hoop a quilt sandwich for quilting? I use the ASQ22 hoop for with my 12000 and while hooping isn't difficult, it can be a bit of a challenge lining up a design if I want it to stitch very close to the edges of a block. I wish somebody would stick a little projector in there that projects the quilting design onto the quilt block and it would be so easy to get the placement just right. With all the technology we have, why hasn't someone thought of that?

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020, 10:01 AM favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:
The 550e has replaced the 500e machine, the website doesn't say specifically that this has happened and it hasn't updated the information about the ASQ18b (Acufil) Hoop.
The machines are basically the same machine, the new 550e has the new 14" long hoop but the widths of the hoops are all the same as the 500e machine.
Re the Acufil program that is part of the purchase, it will help create both Acufil stipple designs and allow the user to incorporate other quilting motifs that come with the program. The Acufil program creates the stipple in .afl format, it can also use .jef motifs. 
If a user has a Digitizing program, they can digitize their own designs and then quilt them using the Acufil hoops for all the Janome machines.
In this case you export/save the file into a format JEF or JPX dependng on the model of the machine.
Hope this helps!
--
Favymtz

Mary Jo Hirsch

Perhaps your can use the Acusetter app.  It basically does what you want.  

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 9:14 PM J Fraker <frakersfunnyfarm@...> wrote:
I guess what I'm asking is how easy is it to hoop a quilt sandwich for quilting? I use the ASQ22 hoop for with my 12000 and while hooping isn't difficult, it can be a bit of a challenge lining up a design if I want it to stitch very close to the edges of a block. I wish somebody would stick a little projector in there that projects the quilting design onto the quilt block and it would be so easy to get the placement just right. With all the technology we have, why hasn't someone thought of that?

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020, 10:01 AM favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:
Hope this helps!
--
Favymtz

--
null

Tracy

J Fraker
You can print the design onto Floriani's Template Tearaway paper so you can position your design easily and rotate the design slightly if you did not get your quilt sandwich hooped exactly straight.  It is paper with a sticky back that I use over and over and over again to position designs, like stippling, and make them stop/start exactly so that the design looks continuous.  Print, peel the design off the paper backing, stick it where you want it, hoop the section of the quilt, put on your machine, center the needle and rotate if needed, remove the sticky design from your quilt, stick the design back onto it's paper backing, stitch.  Repeat as needed.  When the design paper no longer is sticky- I use a little temp spray adhesive on it and keep right on going.
Tracy in Nashville, TN
Martha Pullen Licensed Educator

Lyn Quine

It would be the same process, have you looked for YouTube videos on it?  Janome have covered it.  Also the Acusetter app would help to Centre if you have an iPad .  The Acufil part of Horizon Link might help too.

favymtz

The AcuSetter app doesn’t work with the 12000 machine. It’s not a WiFi capable machine.
What will help is for you to print a template of your design. Secure it on the fabric where you need it, (tape, pin, temporary adhesive spray)
then use the plastic grid for the AQS hoop to aid In hooping.
--
Favymtz

favymtz

Also, you mentioned being “close to the edge”
Sometimes I sew an extender onto the project so that I have enough fabric for the hooping to grab onto. I’ve had to use this technique when doing in the hoop quilting and for regular embroidery when I don’t have enough fabric to allow for good hooping.
 I use a nice quality fabric that I cut about 4” wide and use a long basting stitch to sew it on. My extender strips are saved in a zip plastic bag, labeled, and I’ve used them over and over for years!
--
Favymtz

J Fraker

That sounds like a good idea. Thanks. 

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020, 9:06 AM Tracy <TJOriginals@...> wrote:
J Fraker
You can print the design onto Floriani's Template Tearaway paper so you can position your design easily and rotate the design slightly if you did not get your quilt sandwich hooped exactly straight.  It is paper with a sticky back that I use over and over and over again to position designs, like stippling, and make them stop/start exactly so that the design looks continuous.  Print, peel the design off the paper backing, stick it where you want it, hoop the section of the quilt, put on your machine, center the needle and rotate if needed, remove the sticky design from your quilt, stick the design back onto it's paper backing, stitch.  Repeat as needed.  When the design paper no longer is sticky- I use a little temp spray adhesive on it and keep right on going.
Tracy in Nashville, TN
Martha Pullen Licensed Educator

Cheryl Paul

I don’t think the Acusetter App will work with the ASQ22 hoop, because the hoop is covered with the quilt and therefore the camera can’t see the edge of the hoop. There may be a work around, but that is something that I haven’t tried as I don’t do all that much quilting. I have used the ASQ22 hoop and it works great most of the time. You do however, need to watch it so that the magnets don’t spring off when the machine is quilting. I did one project a lap size quilt that I decided a fleece with batting and then a top with many seams should be quilted - it was not pleasant until I came up with a good plan and watched the quilt closely. I was able to manage even if one or 2 magnets came off. It was a good thing that the design sewed out in about a minute or two.

To get the hooping correct, you can print a template of the design and trim it close to the edge - punch holes into the cross hairs - centre and the 4 arms - mark them well - I used a Frixion pen as it irons off. I sewed one design and then moved the hoop over but before that I decided where the design was to go using the template as my guide. You don’t need to be completely accurate as the quilt is very forgiving and one would need to look closely to see if things are better than perfect. It has to live up to what “you” can live with when it is done. Look on YouTube or Jim and Dianne’s 12000 or 15000 APP - there are good explanations. Try a test quilt sandwich of about 4-6 hoopings to check out how it works. Table runners or placemats are a good place to practice and then you have something that is useful as well.

Cheryl - Saskatoon