550e embroidery machine

Mail Administrator

just checking, got my new machine yesterday and it keeps giving me the message to raise the presser foot, raise needle bar and turn off machine? I do it and again it happens after a couple of stitches, i ordered new thread, bobbin thread, and stablilzer, and hints out there?

Mary Jo Hirsch

My 15k did this which was an upper thread tension sensor which needed to be replaced.  Hope it is a quick fix.  Check needle and placement of bobbin.  Best luck

--
null

Mail Administrator

I hope it isn’t that!! Lol just got the machine, hoping it is the threads and stabilizer. Will know in a couple of days.

On Oct 25, 2020, at 5:20 PM, Mary Jo Hirsch <mjhshmoo@...> wrote:

My 15k did this which was an upper thread tension sensor which needed to be replaced.  Hope it is a quick fix.  Check needle and placement of bobbin.  Best luck

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 3:11 PM <tericloth6@...> wrote:
just checking, got my new machine yesterday and it keeps giving me the message to raise the presser foot, raise needle bar and turn off machine? I do it and again it happens after a couple of stitches, i ordered new thread, bobbin thread, and stablilzer, and hints out there?

--
null

Kathy Strabel

Hello Tericloth---- Well, if you just got the machine yesterday and it is acting up already, I would ask for a replacement machine. A brand new machine should not be acting up the day after you get it. I suspect your dealer did not take the machine out of the box and give it the once -over before handing it over to you.  A machine that is not right from the get-go could be a lemon----and you want to avoid that, for sure!!  I speak from experience with a machine of a different brand. It had some problem at the very beginning and never worked properly the whole time I had it, which was a short time.Too many trips back and forth to the dealer to "fix" it, even had to be sent to the company's repair depot in another state.  I am happy with my 500e--have had it for almost 2 years, and aside from getting a replacement one before I even took mine home----I saw the salesperson drop the box on a cement floor---I have had no problems.  Good luck, and happy stitching!!
Kathy S.   Camas WA

Cat - N

Personally, not being any kind of expert, but I would tend to doubt it is threads...top and/or bottom...and definitely would not think stabilizer would cause such an error. I hope I am wrong for your sake if no other reason...lol.

However, I would make sure the needle was properly installed, presser foot was properly installed and tight enough to not be wiggling around during stitching, that the bobbin was installed correctly and the ‘right’ one for a Janome machine...I only use Janome bobbins in my 3 machines (15000, 11000, and a Kenmore made by Janome)...and didn’t have even a tiny thread tip hanging off anywhere from being wound, and check bobbin case and race, etc.

I would make as sure as possible that nothing was ‘binding/touching’ in the needle/presser foot up/down area (tiny piece of packing, etc.) that might trigger a sensor or interfere with movement. If I put any of it together, I would re-do everything I did before, including unplugging and re-seating all cords, etc.  I tend to blame myself first and recheck everything I did...even when I am sure I did everything correctly.

I don’t have a 550e, so I couldn’t possibly ‘guess’ about it too much, but a friend got a 14000 and the removable embroidery unit was not being recognized by the machine at first power up, so I got a frantic phone call that evening. No packing protective tape or tiny bits of foam packing still in the machine or over contacts, etc., I had them remove the arm and gently rub a clean pencil eraser across the contacts. (Long standing IT trick for expansion cards and other connection points).  Amazing what a teensy bit of metal oxidation while the machine is warehoused safely in its original packaging will cause to go wrong, but I had a very happy friend a few minutes later, and no problems with the machine since then...it’s about 2 years ago now. Lol.

Also, I got the error on my 15000 when I powered it on once. I had been quilting some small kitchen items with Insul-Brite (metallic insulating batting) and still had the quilting guide bar inserted into the Acufeed presser foot. The end of the bar had tipped up slightly during power off/power on procedures and was ‘touching’ (something...not sure what) upward and on the left of the needle.  It didn’t appear to be an issue, but it ticked off my 15000 something awful.  Turning it down toward the next piece of quilting on the machine bed resolved the error...but mine is a bit different that your 550e since it is a sewing/embroidery combo machine.

Good luck. Hope it is something simple.  Terrible to get a new machine that is contrary right out of its box.

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect.

On Oct 26, 2020 at 8:21 AM, <Mail Administrator> wrote:

I hope it isn’t that!! Lol just got the machine, hoping it is the threads and stabilizer. Will know in a couple of days.

On Oct 25, 2020, at 5:20 PM, Mary Jo Hirsch <mjhshmoo@...> wrote:

My 15k did this which was an upper thread tension sensor which needed to be replaced.  Hope it is a quick fix.  Check needle and placement of bobbin.  Best luck

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 3:11 PM <tericloth6@...> wrote:
just checking, got my new machine yesterday and it keeps giving me the message to raise the presser foot, raise needle bar and turn off machine? I do it and again it happens after a couple of stitches, i ordered new thread, bobbin thread, and stablilzer, and hints out there?

--
null

Mail Administrator

Thank you for your response, I am looking more into YouTube videos and checking out different mistakes that are made with machine embroidery, good point with the packing materials, I will look in the bobbin area and such just to be sure there is no micro pieces in there

And for oiling, should you oil before using your machines?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Pam Davison

When I bought my 550 there was an issue when I opened it up and took it out I returned it to my dealer and got a new one you should not have to oil the machine before you use it if it's brand new

[...]

Yes, there are instructions in the manual for oiling your E500. I was surprised when i got my machine .....no one mentioned the oiling requirement when I was shopping.   And yes you should oil it before you use it. Unless your dealer has done that for you before you picked it up. A small oil applicator was included with my machine. Take your time doing the oiling, follow the illustrations in the manual. I made a label to remind myself to oil the machine in the first week of the month, once a month is the recommendation if you use your machine every day. Just adjust  the oiling schedule to how frequently you use yours. You will probably want to get a better oil applicator with a long spout. Also included with my machine was another small applicator that contains bobbin holder cleaner. It looks like oil, but I am not sure they are the same substance so I do not interchange them.  Use a very small amount of oil, just a drop or two, a little more on the wick at the top of the machine.  You will be glad if you establish a good oiling schedule. Happy stitching!,  Kathy S., Camas. WA

Mail Administrator

Thank you I did contact them and they are very nice about it, I rewatched the introduction video and am going to attempt again, if I have an issue they have a tech on premises that can speak with me. So hopefully it is just a user error thing

[...]

Thank you, for your response, I figure it cannot hurt to oil, as long as I only do a drop and I will follow that advise of the written schedule too!!