From: mah_jongg via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2022 2:21 PM
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Subject: [onlinesewing-janome] 550e catching sound.

My 550e sounds like it is catching when it embroiders. Some times worse than others. Some of the times, these catches leave really tiny bird nests on top of the design. Does not matter the digiziter or type of embroidery (satin stitch, regular stitche, etc). When embroidering Valentine FSL designs (over the weekend) the machine went nuts with some of the designs. I am using the yellow dot bobbin case, organ 75/11 needles and a generic bobbin thread (from a well-known online embroidery dealer). Any and all help would be appreciated.

thanks,
majongg

P.S. Still leaves a loose looped stitch whenever I stop & restart the design.

mah_jongg

Thanks for your input. My dealer informed me (when I bought the 550e) that the yellow dot is for non Janome bobbin thread. It does this whether I use bobbin thread or embroidery thread (I wind all my bobbins).  FSL, I run at 600 (otherwise it takes forever). All others at 700. I could try dropping down to 650 when I finish my current design to hear what it does.

Still looking for others input on subject.

Jim Stutsman

If it sounds like it is catching, it probably *IS* catching on a burr, either on the bobbin case or the hook race that the bobbin case rides on. FSL has tons of really short stitches, and using a too-large needle or too-heavy thread can cause a bird nest, which in turn can cause the needle to hit the case or the race. Remove the needle plate and the bobbin case. Check the case on top and bottom for any kind of roughness. Then examine the hook race with a lot of light and maybe magnification. Even a small scratch or nick can grab the thread and cause it to catch. This can also leave little loops on the back. While you have the case out, take a look at the white plastic piece on the bottom of the hook race. If it shows gouges or scratches, that also can cause catching. Keep in mind that the needle thread has to go completely around the bobbin case and pull back up to make a stitch. Anything that can slow that journey can cause a loop, a sound, or bird nest.

Your dealer told you correctly about the yellow dot case. It has tighter tension than the standard red dot case, and should be used with any bobbin thread other than Janome bobbin thread. Janome bobbin thread is a bit heavier than most industrial bobbin thread (and also a lot more expensive).

mah_jongg

thanks,

I'll recheck everything with a light & magnification.