550e & 10000 issues

mah_jongg

1)   550e skips stitches randomly with basic embroidery stitches (have cleaned machine & changed out needles, use organ 75/11 sharp)?
2)  Randomly loops when doing satin stitching no matter what design I use.
3)  Whenever I stop the machine while embroidering (to clear something, adjust something, etc) the machine always loops a couple of stitches when it starts back up. Been doing this since I bought it.
4)  How do I fix the squishy bobbin winding on the 10000. Really noticeable when winding embroidery thread. See  #28408  from my prior post for bobbin winding issues. Both machines are going into the shop this week.  I will wait for the 550e to be fixed, while the 10000 will be left behind. 120 miles round trip.  Any and all help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mahjongg

Jim Stutsman

The 550E problems could relate to burrs/damage on the hook race, needle plate, or white plastic disc in the hook race under the bobbin case. Ask your dealer to check those areas closely.

The 10000 bobbin winding problem is due to lack of tension in thread while winding. There is a spring the holds the thread while winding, but it cannot be accessed without removing the top cover. The screw holding the cover over the spring is on the bottom of the top cover. Removing this cover usually reveals a lot of thread debris that has accumulated so the thread no longer has proper tension.

mah_jongg

Thanks!

Have a great day.

linniemack

Jim,
RE: 10000 bobbin winding and spring, how would I remove the top cover to get to the spring and check for debris?    You said the screw holding the cover over the spring is on the BOTTOM of the top cover.   
I'm not having any problems with bobbin winding currently, but my in-town Janome dealer retired a few years ago and there's no dealer nearby.   I thought I could check this area for thread debris occasionally, or at least know what to check if I'm having a problem with bobbins.    I'm scared to unscrew anything on top because I remember the dealer saying to not unscrew anything because if you unscrew something too much,  there's a nut or washer or something that can fall down inside.  And also that could void any warranty work.   Well, it's way past warranty limits in age, but I don't want to cause a problem that has to fixed by a dealer somewhere.   I only mention all this because I would like to do all I can to maintain my beloved 10000 myself.
Is removing the top cover something I can do myself, or is this dealer- only type work?

Thank you for all you do!
Linda M

Jim Stutsman

This seems to fall under the "If it's not broken..." category. If your bobbins are winding OK, do nothing! One thing that you can do to keep things working well is manage how you deal with embroidery thread changes. Many (most?) people clip the thread at the hoop, if it's not cut automatically, and then pull it back through to wind back on the spool. There is nothing in the book to discourage this. However there is a small tension spring that the thread passes under when you thread the machine. When the thread is pulled backward, the reverse tension from pulling causes the edge of the spring to shave off little bits of thread. When enough has piled up, it starts to drag on the thread, making it seem like the tension has increased. Eventually you will have problems. A safer method is to cut the thread at the spool and pull the remaining thread piece in the same direction that it would be pulled while sewing. Yes, you will waste a bit of thread. Some folks save those bits to use in craft projects. I've also heard of putting it out for birds to weave into their nests. Without regard to what you do with it, pulling it out this way can save headaches later.

linniemack

ok, Thank you for the info.
I do clip my thread at the spool so I'm good there.
Linda M

mah_jongg

Took 550e in to my dealer. Gave her a copy of your notes/suggestions. She took machine apart and everything you mentioned checked out clean. As to why the machine randomly loops when doing satin stitching and skips stitches randomly with basic embroidery stitches didn't have an answer. Her suggestion was to try using Janome needles.  She also compared how my 550e bobbin winds with her floor model. Very minimal difference. I'll try the Janome needles (a lot more expensive compared to Organ needles by the bulk). My 10000 I will not get back for at least 2 weeks. Gave her your notes/suggestions for the 10000 also. She is the one who directed me to your former website when I bought the 80000 many moons ago.

Have a Happy 4th!
Thanks,
Mahjongg

Cheryl Alm

Was wondering if you use a thread stand, that solved looping problem me.  It allows the thread to relax and straighten before getting to the tension and needle.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

From: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io> on behalf of mah_jongg via groups.io <mah_jongg@...>
Sent: Friday, June 25, 2021 11:41:31 PM
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] 550e & 10000 issues

Took 550e in to my dealer. Gave her a copy of your notes/suggestions. She took machine apart and everything you mentioned checked out clean. As to why the machine randomly loops when doing satin stitching and skips stitches randomly with basic embroidery stitches didn't have an answer. Her suggestion was to try using Janome needles.  She also compared how my 550e bobbin winds with her floor model. Very minimal difference. I'll try the Janome needles (a lot more expensive compared to Organ needles by the bulk). My 10000 I will not get back for at least 2 weeks. Gave her your notes/suggestions for the 10000 also. She is the one who directed me to your former website when I bought the 80000 many moons ago.

Have a Happy 4th!
Thanks,
Mahjongg

Cat - N

I had some stitching issues with my 11000 back in 2015, and the dealer I took it to first said to only use Janome ‘painted tip’ needles, too. Trouble with that was I had/have only purchased ‘painted tip’ needles since 1978-1979 when I got my first ‘made by Janome’ sewing machine and I took my 11000 into the dealer’s shop with the “blue tip” needle in it that I was using for my embroidery project!!!  They removed my blue tip needle and sent my 11000 home with the first Organ needle I had ever owned in it…their trade/gift…?…telling me not to use the needle they put in my machine. Lol

My 11000’s issues were damage to the plastic embroidery foot, and the tiniest occasional thread kinking on top of the machine as it entered the uppermost part of the thread path…nothing to do with the needle, bobbin, embroidery design, digitizer, me/my embroidery skill, or any of the other reasons given me to explain it. 

So I am at a complete loss over your dealer’s comment…same as the first dealer’s comment having looked at my 11000, especially since Organ makes the painted tip Janome needles.  Gosh do I wish I could find a clarification/reason for those recommendations…I’d just really like to understand…in case there is a genuine and/or dangerous reason…so I can do what’s right for my machines. 😁

If you get clarification, I hope you’ll let us know!!!  I hope, too, that all is resolved for your machines. It’s terrible when things go wonky. 

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect. 

On Jun 26, 2021 at 8:57 AM, <mah_jongg via groups.io> wrote:

Have a Happy 4th!
Thanks,
Mahjongg

Cat - N

That helped with the bit of kinking I saw with my 11000, too. The dealer (who actually helped me resolve the issues) and I found that placing an independent thread stand a little distance away from the machine worked better than when placed closer as well. I guess some threads have a bit of memory (I was using polyester embroidery thread) and the kinking was happening when it was colder in the room…winter in my ‘then drafty’ 1954-built house, or A/C in his shop, so I am guessing the thread responded to ambient temperature as well.  I have not had kinking issues with my 15000 but I have a 5-spool Janome thread stand attached to my 15000 and that gives some distance for the thread to travel to the machine, too. 

- Cat

On Jun 26, 2021 at 10:37 AM, <Cheryl Alm> wrote:

Was wondering if you use a thread stand, that solved looping problem me.  It allows the thread to relax and straighten before getting to the tension and needle.

From: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io> on behalf of mah_jongg via groups.io <mah_jongg@...>
Sent: Friday, June 25, 2021 11:41:31 PM

Have a Happy 4th!
Thanks,
Mahjongg

mah_jongg

Yes, I do use the Janome 5 spool thread stand for both the 10000 & 550e. I will try the Janome needles on my next project.  I'll keep you posted if the Janome needles make a difference. Wish me luck.

Thanks,
Mahjongg

Cheryl Alm

I too have also heard that Organ makes the Janome needles, but you still need it to be a needle made for embroidery not a universal needle.

Sent: Saturday, June 26, 2021 4:09:58 PM

Yes, I do use the Janome 5 spool thread stand for both the 10000 & 550e. I will try the Janome needles on my next project.  I'll keep you posted if the Janome needles make a difference. Wish me luck.

Thanks,
Mahjongg

Helene B

Makes one wonder how much training these really get to fix these machines. If you happen to get a knowledgeable repair tech they are worth their in gold.

On Jun 26, 2021, at 12:33 PM, Cat - N via groups.io <navillusc@...> wrote:

I had some stitching issues with my 11000 back in 2015, and the dealer I took it to first said to only use Janome ‘painted tip’ needles, too. Trouble with that was I had/have only purchased ‘painted tip’ needles since 1978-1979 when I got my first ‘made by Janome’ sewing machine and I took my 11000 into the dealer’s shop with the “blue tip” needle in it that I was using for my embroidery project!!!  They removed my blue tip needle and sent my 11000 home with the first Organ needle I had ever owned in it…their trade/gift…?…telling me not to use the needle they put in my machine. Lol

My 11000’s issues were damage to the plastic embroidery foot, and the tiniest occasional thread kinking on top of the machine as it entered the uppermost part of the thread path…nothing to do with the needle, bobbin, embroidery design, digitizer, me/my embroidery skill, or any of the other reasons given me to explain it. 

So I am at a complete loss over your dealer’s comment…same as the first dealer’s comment having looked at my 11000, especially since Organ makes the painted tip Janome needles.  Gosh do I wish I could find a clarification/reason for those recommendations…I’d just really like to understand…in case there is a genuine and/or dangerous reason…so I can do what’s right for my machines. 😁

If you get clarification, I hope you’ll let us know!!!  I hope, too, that all is resolved for your machines. It’s terrible when things go wonky. 

- Cat

On Jun 26, 2021 at 8:57 AM, <mah_jongg via groups.io> wrote:

Have a Happy 4th!
Thanks,
Mahjongg