Topics

retrieving files through vmware

Lorrie Gauthier

Hi Jim, I'm running MBX 5.5 through VMWare Fusion on my macbook Air. I can with some effort find my design files which i am storing in dropbox. Dropbox was installed on my Mac through the Apple side. I have a link on my windows desktop that lets me get to my shared drive on my Mac folder tree.

I've been trying to use Horizon Link to update my screensaver on my 15K but am unable to access photos even on my desktop (Mac) which show on my Windows desktop. Are they ghosts?

I am going to the Janome seminar this week and know that I have to be able to get at everything HL in order to participate in that part of the seminar. I can watch and hopefully learn something if need be.  HL is working otherwise on my Windows. I think I even have the newest version working since my 15K was upgraded to the quilt edition.

Any suggestions? I would also like to thank you again for spending your twilight retirement years helping us. My dealer is 6 hours away. He is great but a long distance relationship is not without it's problems.

BTW, I installed VMWare using your wonderful guide on switching to a mac. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Lorrie

Jim Stutsman

Wow. "Twilight retirement years". Really. Excuse me while I check the door to see if the Grim Reaper is standing on my doorstep! I'm so glad my kids don't read this list, or they would be scouting around for a care home for me.

While VMware Fusion is marvelous for supporting Windows on Macs of all kinds, it can present a challenge to sort out where things are. There are a couple of ways to deal with this, both utilizing the Fusion concept of Shared folders. While running Windows on your Mac, click on the Virtual Machine menu and pick Sharing -> Sharing Settings. The top half of this menu allows you to map folders on your Mac so they are directly available in Windows. Tick the Enable Shared Folders box\ and then the plus button below to choose folders to add. You can name each folder however you like. In Windows they are accessed using drive Z, for example Z:\Embroidery Designs. A second option is to check one or more folders in the Mirrored Folders section of the settings. When you do this, the checked folder is always the one on the Mac, even if you open it in Windows. This option works best if you choose it right from the start, immediately after setting up your virtual machine. Once you have started putting things in the Windows Library -> Documents, for example, enabling the mirror option for Documents will cause only the Mac documents to be visible in Library -> Documents.

Generally I like to keep everything in the Mac universe, using the Sharing options to access it from Windows. Of course I spend 98% of my dwindling time on this earth on the Mac, so that works best for me. Answering this has exhausted me, so I'm going to grab my shawl and drag myself to the rocking chair to rest.

Sewhat

Yes you all are awesome!! Thank
You

Donna Strode

On Nov 11, 2019, at 3:25 PM, Lorrie Gauthier <lorrie@...> wrote:

[...]

Too funny rest in your rocking chair and shawl.  I love your humor

Donna Strode

On Nov 11, 2019, at 4:03 PM, Jim Stutsman via Groups.Io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

[...]

I’m so sorry Jim. I thought you knew. LOL. why do you think they put all your toys in one room?

If if you have your wind back please accept my apologies for being the bearer of bad news. 🤭😉

thanks for for the explanation of how this stuff works. My husband is not a Mac person AT ALL and is of no help really. Thank goodness for you, Diane and all you do for us. I’d be lost these days (well more than usual) without you and your apps.

Back to to staring at the snow and hopefully sewing.

kathy palma

Don't feel bad, Jim.  My kids tell people that when God said "let there be light," their mother threw the switch.

Kathy in Buffalo