From: Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...>
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io>
Sent: Thu, Nov 4, 2021 10:22 pm
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] 505 Basting Spray

Cat,

Doesn't that always seem to be the way with the "new and improved" anything we used to love? "New and improved" is like the kiss of death and it always seems to happen the the things I really really like. Oh, well.

Yes! It was your idea I want to copy. Then I won't have to go outside to spray anymore either. :-)

I hope your quilting goes well. I don't think you will need to wipe the needle as you sew. I've never had even my regular Organ sewing needles get gummed up. You'll have to post a picture of your finished quilt. I admire you--that is so much work! But quilts do last for years. So, well worth it.
Kathy

On Thursday, November 4, 2021, 08:59:11 PM CDT, Cat - N via groups.io <navillusc@...> wrote:

Thank you, Kathy.  I am not overly concerned about overspray.  I have breathing issues for many, many years, so an extremely careful what I breathe, so, if inside, I spray inside a square tube made out of printer/copy paper.  I prefer to spray outdoors, of course, and I have basted a number of quilts outside, but in this case, I am sandwiching on a table with a ceiling fan overhead, which blows the overspray down into my square tube/shield (might be the photo I sent is one you saw...I took a 'live photo' today but not sure how to convert it to a gif animation) and back onto either the tube/shield sides or the quilt materials being sandwiched.  To be honest, it is very tempting to sandwich using the 12' long arm frame and just pin, remove the quilts, and cary them back to my 15000.  I haven't done that because I have well pressed backings and quilts hanging over the bars, and batting hanging there also so the center fold can relax.

My main concern was to be 'forewarned' if I need to just go ahead and put a non-stick/teflon needle into my machine to begin with, wipe the needle with dry silicon (and keep it handy to reapply), or if I need do nothing different than I have been doing when using 505 Spray.  Best advice is always from a current user of any product....or the techs that service them...but I am very disappointed in my previous spray, since the 'new' formulation is not as good as the previous one.

- Cat (FL)